• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charcoal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember the rules when, about making BP. No formulas to be mentioned or how to make said. This thread is only about charcoal. Stay on topic please. Would hate to see anybody get yelled at by Admin or another member.

That being said, I have made some charcoal from willow. Bark was peeled, place in 1 gal. paint can and placed on fire. All looks well for finished product.

Here is my question. How long should a stick of char stay burning (lite) when lighted with a flame? Should it stay lite forever, for a few moments, only when air is blown on it? And is any of the length of time it says lite a judge of the quality of the char itself. In light of the that question, what is a good qualification for finished product (char that is)?
Thanks
mtsage

View attachment 93560
No clue . When it shows signs of being done , no flame or smoke coming out of the hole in the can , its done . The next day I grind it fine ....done .

I recently saw a YouTube video using charcoal made from toilet paper. It ran faster than the willow and the swabbed bore was reasonably clean.
I saw that as well. I'm planning on trying that. If it work like they say it will, it will save a bunch of labor. On castboolits they have some people reporting on it.

Anyone know where mullberry ranks on the “desirable wood list”? I prune a bunch off every year and would just as soon try to make charcoal out of it as throw it on a brush pile to rot.

Second question - when is the best time of year to trim? Winter, spring, fall?

Anyone know where mullberry ranks on the “desirable wood list”? I prune a bunch off every year and would just as soon try to make charcoal out of it as throw it on a brush pile to rot.

Second question - when is the best time of year to trim? Winter, spring, fall?
I believe soft wood is best to use, aka fruit trees. I'm sure it will work but weather it burns cleaner than others. You want something to burn fast and clean to reduce fouling. I harvest willow in the spring. With The fresh green shoots the bark peels easier. Cedar fence boards work very well and once charcoaled crushes easy. Try that mulberry and let us know how it goes.

Mulberry works quite well. I like it better than Willow. Cook it around 280-290*C.

Remember the rules when, about making BP. No formulas to be mentioned or how to make said. This thread is only about charcoal. Stay on topic please. Would hate to see anybody get yelled at by Admin or another member.

That being said, I have made some charcoal from willow. Bark was peeled, place in 1 gal. paint can and placed on fire. All looks well for finished product.

Here is my question. How long should a stick of char stay burning (lite) when lighted with a flame? Should it stay lite forever, for a few moments, only when air is blown on it? And is any of the length of time it says lite a judge of the quality of the char itself. In light of the that question, what is a good qualification for finished product (char that is)?
Thanks
mtsage

View attachment 93560

I mix charcoal with bees wax and pine Rosen to make a type of cutlers pitch, it’s rock hard and I’ve never had to reapply it. I use it to line canteens mostly. Mix in some saw dust or wood shavings and you’ve got a great fire starter.

Back