• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Natural Tinders / Alternatives for Charcloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fire starting with a flint and steel is one skill that you need to learn and practice a lot.
A year of failed rotator cuff surgeries has made me have a hard time to get a fire started. I imagine injuries on the frontier escalated the need to have more than one way to start a fire.

Fire starting with a flint and steel is one skill that you need to learn and practice a lot.
A year of failed rotator cuff surgeries has made me have a hard time to get a fire started. I imagine injuries on the frontier escalated the need to have more than one way to start a fire.
Hmmm....You have given me an idea for an interesting challenge. I will attempt to make fire by flint and steel using only one hand to simulate an injury.

Here in northern Ca, we gather hardened pine sap and strip the hair off of cedar trees. I taught my son how to find this and save this material. As a 5 year old boy he chose a ziplock bag to store his fire kit in. Whatever. at 17 he’s more comfortable starting a fire with pitch, cedar hair and pitch wood than with a lighter. We camp a lot. We always start our fires without a flame. Even here on the property with burn piles, we get a small fire going and then throw 50/50 diesel and gas on it. I love being a hillbilly!

Back