• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The following is copied From another topic,
My question is, What did people (Natives, pioneers, mountain men, explores, etc.... Do for salt. Even colonists needed it for cooking and preserving..
I do seem to remember something about a salt outcrop in the book Old Yeller.... :hmm:

colorado clyde Said:

but I always wondered what natives did for salt...

Well, since you've taken us off-topic, I'll keep us there a bit longer. A favorite of the many bits I've collected, pardon the length. This is told by Weeheenee-wea, Buffalo Bird Woman, a Hidatsa living near the Mandan villages of Lewis and Clark fame, takes place mid-19th century, on the Missouri River. She's describing what they did with corncobs after the corn was removed.

Quote:

The Cobs

The day's threshing over, we attended to the cobs. I have said that we shelled off any kernels that clung to them after threshing, so that they were now quite clean of grain.

All day long, as we threshed, we had watched that no horses got at the cobs to trample and nibble them, or that any dog ran over them, or any children played in them. Then, in the evening, if the weather was fine, and there was little wind, one of my mothers or I carried the cobs outside of the village to a grassy place and heaped them in a pile about five feet high. A pile of cobs of such a height I usually gathered from a day's threshing.

In our prairie country, on a fair day, the wind usually dies down about sunset; and now, when the air was still, I fired the cob pile. As the pile began to burn, I could usually see the burning cob piles of two or three other families lighting up the gathering dusk.

I had to stay and watch the fire, to keep any mischievous boys from coming to play in the burning heap. Children of from ten to fifteen years of age were quite a pest at cob-firing time. They had a kind of game they were fond of playing. Each would cut a long, flexible, green stick, and at the edge of the Missouri he would get a ball of wet mud and stick it on his stick. He would try to approach one of the burning piles, and with his stick, slap the mud ball smartly into the burning coals, some of which, still glowing, would stick in the wet mud. Using the stick as a sling, the child would throw the mud ball into the air, aiming often at another child. Other children would be throwing mud balls at one another at the same time, and these, with the bits of glowing charcoal clinging to them, would go sailing through the air like shooting stars. Knowing very well that the children would get into my burning cobs if I even turned my back, I was careful to stay by to watch.

At last the fire had burned down and the coals were dead; and nothing was left but a pile of ashes. It was now night, and I would go home. Early the next morning, before the prairie winds had arisen, I would go out again to my ash heap. On the top of the ashes, if nothing had disturbed them in the night and an unexpected wind had not blown them about, I would find a thin crust had formed. This crust I carefully broke and gathered up with my fingers, squeezing the pieces in my hand into little lumps, or balls. Sometimes I was able to gather four or five of these little balls from one pile of ashes; but never more than five.

These balls I carried home. There were always several baskets hanging in the lodge, ready for any use we might want of them; and it was our habit to keep some dried buffalo heart skins, or some dried buffalo paunch skins, in the lodge, for wrappers, much as white families keep wrapping paper in the house. The ash balls I wrapped up in one of these skins, into a package, being careful not to break the balls. I put the package in one of the baskets, to hang up until there was occasion for its use.

These ash balls were used for seasoning. I have explained elsewhere how we used spring salt to season our boiled corn; and that every day in the lodge, we ate mä'dạkạpa, or pounded dried ripe corn boiled with beans. But in the fall, instead of seasoning this dish with spring salt, or alkali salt as you call it, we preferred to use this seasoning of ash crust.

In my father's family, for each meal of mä'dạkạpa we filled the corn mortar three times, two-and-a-half double handfuls of corn making one filling of the mortar. Each time we filled the mortar, we dropped in with the corn a little of the ash crust, a bit about as big as a white child's marble. Finally, a piece about as big, or perhaps a little larger, was also dropped into the boiling pot.

We Indians were fond of this seasoning; and we liked it much better than we did our spring salt. We did not use spring salt, indeed, if we had ash balls in the lodge.

We called these ash balls mä'dạkạpa isĕ'pĕ, or mä'dạkạpa darkener.

We did not make ash balls if the dogs or horses had trampled on the cobs; or if children had mussed in the fire; nor would we make ash balls if the day had not been rather calm, for a high wind was sure to blow dust into the cobs.

We burned cobs and collected ash balls after every threshing day, unless hindered by storm or high wind. But even if the harvest was a good one, the ash balls that we got from the burned cobs for seasoning never lasted long. We were so fond of seasoning our food with them that every family had used up its store before the autumn had passed.

Boys are boys everywhere

The spring salt she mentions is salt which crystalizes around the edges of mineral springs, which they gathered. Other minerals crystalized along with the salt made it dark colored.

Spence

On the Kentucky frontier they boiled the water from salt springs. It was a required activity, sometimes a business. There were salt springs all over the country, called salt licks because the wildlife came to them and licked the ground for the salt. I have a small one on my farm, and the deer use it heavily. Daniel Boone and his 26 salt boilers were doing that when they were captured, of course.

Here's John Clymer's interpretation of the Corps of Discovery boiling salt at the Pacific.

Spence

Salt figured very large in frontier life. There was a salt lick near present day Nashville, TN, in the 18th century which was used by herds of many thousand buffalo, had been for eons. They had licked the ground so much they made caves which they went back into, and a man on horseback could ride into them. It was a maze covering a large area of ground.

Many of the trails traveled by Indians and whites alike were 'buffalo traces', leading to those salt licks. Many of them eventually became our modern highways.

There is record of a man setting up shop near large salt springs at Upper Blue Licks on the Licking river in Kentucky. He owned several large kettles and rented them to people on the trail to make salt as they passed. He boiled no salt, made a living just from the kettles.

The Blue Licks were mineral springs near the Licking river, and were so named from the blueish deposit left when the water evaporated around the edges...remember Waheenee-wea's spring salt. I'm familiar with the history of the area because the last serious battle of the Revolutionary war in the west was fought there, resulting in the massacre of about 65 Kentucky Militia, Daniel Boone's son, Isreal, and coincidentally, my many-great grandfather Lt. James McQuire.

Salt making was done on a large commercial scale for the time, too.

Journal of Andrew Ellicott, 1796, traveling by boat down the Ohio.

"20th [Nov.] At ten o’clock, I left the boats, and went on shore with my skiff to view the salt works which are about one mile from the river, in the state of Kentucky, and collected the following information, viz. that 300 gallons of water, produces one bushel of salt: that they had 170 iron kettles, and made about 30 bushels of salt per day, which sold for 2 dollars cash per bushel, or 3 dollars in trade, as they term it."

My calculation shows each of the 170 kettles would have to evaporate 53 gallons of water to obtain the 30 bushels if all were in use.

Yeah, Clymer is good. Too bad he's so modern.

Spence

Coltsfoot ashes are salty. Natural salt licks or deposits. The corncob description Spence posted is very interesting. Very likely, salt was one of the items regularly traded via native trade-routes.

Salt boiled at boons lick across from arrow rock mo sold in st lo for $.10 / pint . May Boone and his partner became pretty wealthy and employed a couple of dozen freemen and slaves. They had to keep armed guards about due to Indian and bushwhakers. Salt was about the same price as gunpowder in st lo.

nhmoose said:
Never heard of Salt Lake? Next door in Utah?

Never heard of Indian trade between tribes?
Well! the Great salt lake wasn't discovered until 1824.....and the salt flats in 1827.

As for trade between the tribes.....Sure!I suppose..... if they had salt to trade and weren't enemies.

colorado clyde said:
Well! the Great salt lake wasn't discovered until 1824.....and the salt flats in 1827.
It wasn't discovered by whites until 1824...

I'm certain someone had a claim on the lake, but the salt likely still made it into the trade system.

Have you heard of the Lewis and clark expedition and their winter camp at Fort Clatsop in 1805 on the Columbia river where they made salt all winter to trade to the Indians on their way home??????

sidelock said:
Have you heard of the Lewis and clark expedition and their winter camp at Fort Clatsop in 1805 on the Columbia river where they made salt all winter to trade to the Indians on their way home??????
"Have you heard of the Lewis and clark expedition".....Yes!

"and their winter camp at Fort Clatsop in 1805 on the Columbia river" ......Yes!

"where they made salt all winter to trade to the Indians on their way home"......Nope!...I missed that day in school... :wink:

A lot of information can come from reading the L&C journals and visiting the sites along their trip, but then, My home sits less than a 1/4 mile from their trail through the Bitterroot valley in MT.

The salt from a salt mine near me in Camp Verde, AZ, was worked with extensive tunneling underground in pre-Columbian times, from about 600 to maybe 2,000 YBP, and traded for hundreds of miles from present NM to Baja California. Mummies have been found there as well as a lot of tools and other artifacts. The archeological paper from 1928 also mentions another salt mine in Nevada, which miners left similar artifacts, so likely some kind of connection. The paper is fairly long but interesting reading:
http://www.delange.org/CampVSalt/An_Aboriginal_Salt_Mine_At_Camp_Verde_Arizona.pdf

I saw one of the mummies one time, when I was a youngster, and it looked as if it was turned to stone. I remember it pretty well as it made a big impression on my mind at the time. I imagine it was given back to some tribe and reburied somewhere in later years. I have also been to the mine in times past and collected the salt in large, translucent chunks. Once it is touched by moisture such as dew, it turns from a blue-green translucent to being covered with an opaque white frost.

No one knows how long ago it was first mined, but the artifacts found in the old tunnels that have been carbon dated recently, since this paper was written, come from about the same time period as local ruins that were abandoned in the early 1400s, a few decades before Columbus.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need salt to live and salt trade existed between Indian tribes long before Columbus. However indias did little salting of foods to preserve. Whites sucked up salt in amounts beyond Indian use.

Latest posts

Back