• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centered patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There just isn't any physical reason a pre-cut patch that fits and seals properly shouldn't be just as accurate as one cut at the muzzle.
All it has to do is seal off the gas and impart the rifling rotation to the ball.
It's in back of the ball at muzzle clearance and can have no influence on ball trajectory wither on or off center.
Now the patch trajectory will probably frizz-by off to the proud side of the patch but has no effect on the separated ball.

Muzzle cut patches usually have a ragged tail and frayed edges on the off side unless the patch knife it kept razor sharp which my pre-cut patches never have.

I have used all manner and age and lube type of pre cut patches. I have also used cut at the muzzle with different lubes (dry strip and squirt of this or that). I now use strips prepared "the dutch way" and cut at the muzzle. :idunno: I find it easier myself.

If in a hurry, (like the last 14 times) I will revert back to hoppes Blk Pwdr solvent and try to get one "same size" drop on the are to be cut, rub it in, start, cut, ram home, fire and repeat. My one gun I have gotten the dutch system dialed in with uses dry patch strips that were made up, rolled and stuck in film canisters.

Now....I can say when using anything other than the dutch system, which I have never yet pre cut, I found no difference i performance whatsoever :hmm:

Also in about to start a ball with an off centered patch I just dont start it :idunno: I realign and start it. For those non ball starter folks I could see the issue a few times, especially if in a hurry for a second shot :yakyak:

Hi CC,

Thanks for posting the pictures, FYI mine when cut a the muzzle are always round when pick them up. Wished I knew for sure what the difference is.

Michael

Speaking of geometry, in a mathematical, theoretical world, the distance from the contact point around the ball to the muzzle is equal all the way around the bore so, if the patch was cut cleanly, it should end up a perfect circle.

In the real world though, the material tends to fold and pucker as it's being drawn down into the bore by the ball.
If the patch is cut off flush with the muzzle while the material is in this folded condition it can come out in the somewhat rounded squareish shape most of them end up being.

Zonie said:
Speaking of geometry, in a mathematical, theoretical world, the distance from the contact point around the ball to the muzzle is equal all the way around the bore so, if the patch was cut cleanly, it should end up a perfect circle.

Did you factor in rifling?.... :wink:

If the patch is cut off flush with the muzzle while the material is in this folded condition it can come out in the somewhat rounded squareish shape most of them end up being

Like I said previously, I think it is a result of how I cut the patches....There are several ways to cut a patch at the muzzle.

Well in the old days it was known to cut little circles of cloth and sew them around the ball then it’s all ready centered and you don’t have to cut :haha:

In my experience precut patches can work if well centered or if sufficiently oversized. Unfortunately, have found oversized precut patches hang up on jag/ramrod, particularly with smaller calibers (32 to 45). With a sharp knife (personnaly use a retired straight razor at the range) have no issues with cutting at the muzzle. Seems to give me a larger operating window. I have nowhere near the impressive skill set that CC has to be confident with precut patches. Kudos to CC. Because of my shortcomings, I'm with Dutch on this topic. My first experience with cutting at muzzle occurred in early 70s. Despite numerous opportunities with precut patches opinion has not changed. Just my opinion, not being argumentative. Whatever works for you, obviously works. Stay with it.

I have nowhere near the impressive skill set that CC has to be confident with precut patches. Kudos to CC.

Gee!....I never knew centering a patch was so difficult for so many....

Always seemed as easy as tying my shoes to me. I must be gifted....Come to think of it, I've always had a talent for telling if a picture was hanging crooked on the wall...

CC, I don't want square patches. I have enough trouble shooting good bench scores without messing around with patching. Can't wait until this veers off into how to cut round shooting patches!

Michael

I recover and examine my pre-cut patches all the time and the ball is centered on them without fail. I can't see how I could possibly get them any more centered on a muzzle cut patch.
Plus I don't like running a sharp edge across my muzzle thousands of times either.
Well now, how do we make pre-cut patches you ask? :rotf:
Glad you brought it up:

Just like cutting cookies, all the same and no frayed edges.

Mounts in a drill press.... I made it a long time ago....Then someone on this forum suggested making one from a hole saw....Brilliant because the steel is harder and the sizes come in 1/8" increments.

ERG4Gzd.jpg

I don't care for rotation cutters (not saying the one pictured is)as they tend to twist the cloth weave, are not as fast as the one pictured nor do they cut as cleanly. This cutter will usually make about 12 - 13 per punch out and the edges will be perfect with no frays or twisting of the weave.

Wow, a lot of strong opinions on patches. About half the time I cut patches at the muzzle and occasionally I'll cut a bunch of square ones from a strip of ticking with a sharp knife. I have not seen much difference in accuracy with either, but then I've never been good enough to put every round into one hole not matter what I'm shooting.

Latest posts

Back