• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centered patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that tight patches don't always give good results myself, but maybe it's my shooting eye and steady (marginally) hand too. Some days the shooting magic works, some days it falls on its butt and has a hard time getting back up. :rotf:

Rifleman1776 said:
I was convinced that having to use a pre-cut patch of perzactly/exactly a certain size was unnecessary and a bit silly.

There are other reasons than just accuracy to use pre-cut patches.

For example;
Pre-cut patches allow me to retrieve, lube, and load them one handed and without looking...This way I can keep my eyes on my surroundings.

Can you "cut at the muzzle" guys reload on the move?

I prefer pre-cuts, but am willing to try cutting at the muzzle, just because I like to experiment and see for myself. Pre-cuts have worked for me quite well and for a very long time.

I've just recently been convinced to switch from T7 to real BP, which now requires me to swab between every shot. Now cutting patches at the muzzle!! Heck, it'll take 30 minutes to get a 3-shot group! :grin:

Just kidding of course, but I've got zero intention of switching from pre-cut patches. Below is good enough accuracy for my needs. Could it be a bit better? Maybe, but I doubt any deer will be able to tell the difference.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/95870650@N03/62LS53

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting at the muzzle is a fun thing to do...Just like making a patch cutter and making pre-cuts...

Just remember to take a first aid kit with you... :wink:

dsayer said:
Below is good enough accuracy for my needs.

I don't know....You missed the red circle.... :shocked2:
Take a ruler and measure from the center of the red circle to the outer edge of your farthest bullet hole......Then double that number, that is your group size. (hunting accuracy)

Looks like about 7.5 inches to me.

Colorado Clyde said:
dsayer said:

Take a ruler and measure from the center of the red circle to the outer edge of your farthest bullet hole......Then double that number, that is your group size. (hunting accuracy)

I was working up my load and hadn't started sighting in yet. Just referring to the size of the group. She's all better now... That's what I was working on when I snapped my ram rod yesterday.

dsayer said:
Colorado Clyde said:
dsayer said:

I was working up my load and hadn't started sighting in yet. Just referring to the size of the group. She's all better now... That's what I was working on when I snapped my ram rod yesterday.

I suppose I should have used "precision" rather than "accuracy" in my earlier post to avoid confusion. Figured it would be apparent I wouldn't take a rifle into the field that wasn't sighted in.

meanmike said:
CC,

Don't miss the first shot, you don't need to shoot on the move!

Michael

Often the first shot stirs up a second target....I like to keep my eye on that target...

I've been known to shoot so many critters from one spot that I had to quit before I forgot where they where all laying....

Colorado Clyde said:
Yeah, it's not a problem. I can even chew gum and comb my hair at the same time,
,but I do understand if that's hard for ya, then cut at the muzzle and the inherent accuracy provided by that may be difficult for some.
(it's about eliminating a variable)
Clydey,, if your cutting yourself while working with fabric, a sharp knife and a simple rifle all in your hands as you stand still,, then stay with precuts.
Cut at the muzzle is not for everybody. :idunno:

Thanks, keep working. You will get there. If you need to shoot a loose combo try different material, they are not all equal.

Michael

meanmike said:
Thanks, keep working. You will get there. If you need to shoot a loose combo try different material, they are not all equal.

Michael

I'll try this load at 100 yards next time I'm at the outdoor range now that I've adjusted the sights, but I don't see a ton of reason to keep working on the load at this point if it holds at that distance. Ain't a critter worth shooting that will live to tell the difference among those three shots. :wink:

Assuming the groups look reasonable at 100, it's all off hand, kneeling, sitting, and prone shots from now to September.

necchi said:
Colorado Clyde said:
Yeah, it's not a problem. I can even chew gum and comb my hair at the same time,
,but I do understand if that's hard for ya, then cut at the muzzle and the inherent accuracy provided by that may be difficult for some.
(it's about eliminating a variable)
Clydey,, if your cutting yourself while working with fabric, a sharp knife and a simple rifle all in your hands as you stand still,, then stay with precuts.
Cut at the muzzle is not for everybody. :idunno:
:haha: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back