• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Centered patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get out the hip boots guys the manure is getting pretty deep! :rotf: So many dead animals you forgot where they all are indeed! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It's true.....I use to hunt rabbit thickets from a tree...Dogs would keep the rabbits zooming around...I just kept shooting until I would start to forget where they were all laying. Any more than 5 and you run the risk of forgetting one....or not finding it. From the ground you were hard pressed to see beyond 8 feet.
7 rabbits was the most I ever shot from a single tree.

Trees are also one of the best places to hunt rabbits from... :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly....They can make short climbs...I saw one this evening in fact....Of course it was a fallen tree.... :wink: but it did climb up on it.....Woodchucks are great climbers.... I've seen them as high as 8-10 feet up in a tree...Chipmunks even higher.

Well, this thread has certainly gone to "pot." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted here, with a lot of good comments and insight on pre-cut vs. cut-at-the-muzzle patches, their reasons and rationales. And ... feel free to keep on posting and adding comments. The thread has gotten a lot of looks from forum members (108 replies, 1,051 views at last count), which is what I intended in the first place. :hatsoff:

I contributed to the BS about wine when I was assigned to write a small book about the wines offered at the Cheshire Innin St. Louis.
I knew nothing about wine, where it came from tct and so on so I made it up with complete BS about theSchloss dotted hills along the Rhine and the thousand year old vineyards originally planted by the Romans etc and so on.
About a month later the owner of the restaurant and about 6otherd raised hell with me because all those books had been stoled,

I told I would hesitate to present anything to him that was worth stealing.

Apparently the wine geeks thought they had found a treasure trove of new BS to amaze their fries with.

There IS a lot of BS connected with BP and ML activities, usually attached is the word EASY. or Easier.

Ditch Schoultz

There is a forest of little used originally GOOD rifles in closets and basements owned by folks who never had the first CORRECT idea of what they had and how to use it. Frm what I have heard the piddling instructions usually are limited to placing weak loading instructions hoping that the buyer doesn't hurt himself.

Buying one of these used wrongly rifles can be a nightmare, with a bulged barrel because it was fired with an unseated ball, or corroded just about solid .

Never buy one without as thorough inspection as you can make. Run a tightly patched jag all the way down looking for a wide spot. If the seller won't allow that, he knows wht's wrong.

I gave a handsome .45 caliber pistol to a former son i law. The last time I saw it, it looked like something recovered from the sea with the corrosion creeping out to engulf the outside.. Fired it till he got bored and then laid it aside in HumidSt. Louis to grow in another unwanted direction.

One subscriber with a new .50 or maybe ,54 rifle said that hi instructions said to limit the powder to 45 grains., Apperently the seer would faint when he heard what appeared to be a giant fart..

In a way I don't blame the manufacturers. A more current son in law can make rather handsome old style rocking horses that are wildly accepted as gifts or donations for charity auctions but he would never sell one in case a kid hurt himself by doing something stupid and the parents then suing. The insurance would unaffordable.

Dutch Scmalts

Dutch Schoultz said:
I gave a handsome .45 caliber pistol to a former son i law.

Dutch Scmalts

You're killing me Scmalts!

So is the former son in law still at the bottom of the Missouri river for ruining your pistol?
Snakebite

No , i gave him the pistol. What he did with it was what he apparently wanted to do wit it/

It was a waste but o was he, though I did get a magnificent grandson out of the deal.

The.36 caliber Seneca I HAD BOB HOYT RERIFLE TO .40 I GAVE TO A MAN WHO GVE IT TO JIS DAUGHTER WHO IMMEDIATELY WENT OFF TO DC TO BE AL GORE'S AID.

I GAVE A GENUINE 1863 SPRINGFIELD MADE IN Trenton, NJm in trust to a man who needed an original to compete in a match that required it on or for the US Nuzzleloading Rifle Team. Theundertanding being that he would passim on when his future shortened. I also gavehime a Japanese copy of the Civil War rifle for practicing I had a few others that I can't remember what happened to them. Given away to people I have forgotten

The Kit Built .45 Hawken and the exact duplicate of a genuine original Hawken and other related paraphernalia I gveto my Grandson who is actively per suing sail boating

I believe I peaked at 9 rifles and then gradually shrank the collection to the two Hawkens

They both fired equally well with perhaps alight edge going to the Kit Built model
The surprising thing was that both required the same load, 73 grains of Goex and even more amazing the same patching which compressed to .0065 I think. Rarely will you have two rifles that like to be fed the same thing.

I miss them all but the Hawkens most of all.

When you have a rifle or two that perform beyond hope nan expectations they become something like you own special kids and when they are gone they leave an empty spot that just doesn't go away.

I think women have the same feeling about shoes.

DutcchSchmutz

Back