• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Centered patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You Clyde, If you can stir up a slight controversy Iit gets people who never post to suddenly appear.

There are, I believe about a thousand lurkers out there who I think we would all like to hear fromm

I could care less whether you cut at the muzzle or use pre cut patches.

The important thing is to have the right patching for your rifle.

The only way to judge what you are doing is to compare the groups you are producing.

I believe we have about a thousand lurkers who enjoy reading the posts but just won't contribute.

I can't think of any way to stir them up/

Once upon a time there were The Squirrel Wars that everyone excited.

If we could get people to tell us their most unusual experience with a muzzleloader I think we should all learn something.

Years ago, Jack Benny and Fred Allen had a fake feud that went on for years and it built listenership to both their radio programs

Dutch choultz

I shot my rifle this morning and thought about this thread about centering pre-cut patches over the muzzle.
I didn't have a problem at all centering my patch and the only thing I can think of that makes this so difficult for some might be that they are not looking more downward to see how evenly the patch is centered.
One reason is they might fear placing their face too close in line over the muzzle.
I don't think you have to worry about the gun going off in that condition.
I don't put my face directly in line of the muzzle, but close enough that I can see that the ball is centered.
I'm maybe just weird, but I'm just not seeing the problem with pre-cut patches....Cut at the muzzle is probably the way to go if you don't want to be anywhere near the muzzle end of that rifle. :thumbsup:

There are, I believe about a thousand lurkers out there who I think we would all like to hear from

:hatsoff:
Dutch: I got on this forum to ask questions and compare notes, learn stuff and help anyone else with my measly BP knowledge. I'm just glad to see gentlemen like dsayer, who posts his age as 33. Seems like a lot of us here are in that 60 to 90 range with a few 50s and 40s sprinkled in here and there. Not that it's bad, it's just that younger blood needs to come into the hobby and keep 'er movin'.

Dutch Schoultz said:
Once upon a time there were The Squirrel Wars that everyone excited.
I was a General in that war, Dutch, but I hadn't thought about it for many years. As Bob Hope would say, Thanks for the Memory.

Spence

SgtMaj said:
There are, I believe about a thousand lurkers out there who I think we would all like to hear from

:hatsoff:
Dutch: I got on this forum to ask questions and compare notes, learn stuff and help anyone else with my measly BP knowledge. I'm just glad to see gentlemen like dsayer, who posts his age as 33. Seems like a lot of us here are in that 60 to 90 range with a few 50s and 40s sprinkled in here and there. Not that it's bad, it's just that younger blood needs to come into the hobby and keep 'er movin'.

Thanks for the shout out, SgtMaj! :hatsoff: I'm very happy to have found this forum recently.

I've recruited a couple of people in general age bracket to hunt with these old style smoke poles, so there are a couple of us "youngins" out there.

necchi said:
:haha: Gadd's,, I remember the "mailing list" too.
Yeah, the old MLML. Before web-based forums, e-mail distributed mailings list, automatically sent to your mailbox, all topics whether you were interested in them or not. Good times.

Gen. Bob

I wish I had found this forum a long time ago when I first bought my muzzle loader, as I wouldn't be so dumb as I am today. :idunno:
There aren't any other forums that I know of that are alive, and have the number of folks posting, or even the amount of lurkers that this forum has. :applause:
I just love the fact that there aren't anyone posting about the unmentionables, :nono: so I hope it stays that way for years to come.

I was convinced that having to use a pre-cut patch of perzactly/exactly a certain size was unnecessary and a bit silly.

Love the use of the word perzactly .... I thought my grandma and my great-granny were the only people who used that word. :wink:

Sgt, Major,
While my brother was an Admiral, I was a T/5 or Crutch Corporal.

I beg to differ with your complimentary claim that a thousand Lurkers are wanting to hear from me..
If that were the case their impatience would cause them to secure my EBook . I get few orders from Forum Members, Most have never heard of the Traditional Muzzllooading Rifle Forum
I am too much on the Forum. My hope is to keep some interest up so that people will join in
There isas muchBS in ML activities as there is in Wine tasting and I hope to keep a lot of the misleading information down

Nobody will stick with their ML rifle if they can't do anything with it. When folks do well they get a sense of pride and they stick with the sport.
One great loss to the sport was the development of the IN-Line Rifle which, like all modern rifles lets somebody in a factory make their decisions for them.

A friend can't understand our love for a single shot rifle when there are semi Automatics out there.
I respond that the muzzleloader rifleman has pretty much the
same goal as the military sniper of One shot, One kill

When we go deer hunting the odds aren;t as highly stacked against the deer as they are when facing some guy with a military rifle capable of sending multiple rounds at Bambi.
It seems that we are giving the deer a more even field.,

Thhursday next I'm going to see my second pain management person, a medical one this time . The first very successful pain remover was a divore lawyer.. I hope I have similar success with this guy.

Wish me luck.

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch Schoultz said:
Sgt, Major,

Nobody will stick with their ML rifle if they can't do anything with it. When folks do well they get a sense of pride and they stick with the sport.
-------------

Thursday next I'm going to see my second pain management person, a medical one this time . The first very successful pain remover was a divore lawyer.. I hope I have similar success with this guy.

Wish me luck.

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch,
Your advise (along with others here) lead me to my first black powder deer last season. You are succeeding in your effort to keep folks into the realm. I was becoming quite bored with hunting, until the invitation to go on a black powder hunt. Everyting changed when I picked up a 100.00 dollar used TC 50 cal. I am rapidly loosing my desire to hunt with "those unmentionables" and just go do some real hunting with with a round baller. I thank you, Necchi, and others here for illuminating me. You really can teach an old dog a new trick.
And "GOOD LUCK" with your pain management doctor. Don't believe everything you hear about opium based pain killers. They have literally saved my wife's life. Everything has a place, and there is a place for everything.
TX GRIZ

Dutch Schoultz said:
Spence, I stumbled across all you folks just as the Squirrel wars ended so never really understood the controversy.
There was no real controversy at all, Dutch. It was just a group of guys who liked each other and were all involved in a hobby they loved who were being playful. Someone made a goofy comment, someone else responded in a playful way, and they were off to the races, sort of being silly with a straight face. As friends will do.

Spence

SgtMaj said:
I was convinced that having to use a pre-cut patch of perzactly/exactly a certain size was unnecessary and a bit silly.

Love the use of the word perzactly .... I thought my grandma and my great-granny were the only people who used that word. :wink:

When I stop being able to have a little fun, bury me.

Back