• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Caps - CCI reply regarding availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a lot of people bragging a year ago about how they had managed to order a case quantity of caps. It helped with their shipping costs but had the same effect as people buying carts full of toilet paper during the pandemic.
Every one person buying a case of tins took a dozen tins off the market. I won’t argue about their current production but many of us are now in the mode of get them while you can, myself included. I didn’t need more musket caps when I visited DGW in Union City yet I bought them when they had no #10 caps at all and that triggered my “grab some extras” response. I think we have changed our buying habits when we can no longer count on picking up a tin of 100 at the gun shop. It is reflexive for me, to be sure I don’t run out.

I remember a lot of people bragging a year ago about how they had managed to order a case quantity of caps. It helped with their shipping costs but had the same effect as people buying carts full of toilet paper during the pandemic.
Every one person buying a case of tins took a dozen tins off the market. I won’t argue about their current production but many of us are now in the mode of get them while you can, myself included. I didn’t need more musket caps when I visited DGW in Union City yet I bought them when they had no #10 caps at all and that triggered my “grab some extras” response. I think we have changed our buying habits when we can no longer count on picking up a tin of 100 at the gun shop. It is reflexive for me, to be sure I don’t run out.
I know what you mean Bob. The old saying make hay while the sun is shining holds true. I usually grab some when I see them, I try to think of the other guy, but sometimes I have an internal conversation about that too. I read a post either on here, maybe, where a fella saw a guy he knew owned a hardware store, buy all the #11's from Wallys to resell at his own store for 150% markup. I'm sure that happens a lot. I want to believe most of the folks that are into shooting black powder firearms are inherently good people, and will only take what they need, but that hardware store guy is always in the back of my mind.

Yes, but I naively believe the company when they say they're making and shipping millions of primers and caps daily. Just wonder where the heck they are.
I've read every bit of this string and would add one thing: look up the Distributers for the region you're in. These are the first stop all firearm products would be sent to in the chain of delivery. Likely they could give you an answer closer to the truth of expected or impending delivery. I switched to shooting flintlocks 20+ yrs ago so don't face this particular crisis anymore!

I know what you mean Bob. The old saying make hay while the sun is shining holds true. I usually grab some when I see them, I try to think of the other guy, but sometimes I have an internal conversation about that too. I read a post either on here, maybe, where a fella saw a guy he knew owned a hardware store, buy all the #11's from Wallys to resell at his own store for 150% markup. I'm sure that happens a lot. I want to believe most of the folks that are into shooting black powder firearms are inherently good people, and will only take what they need, but that hardware store guy is always in the back of my mind.
Agreed Snakebit,

Those folks were on one of the social media platforms and mainly interested in shooting their revolvers. I wasn’t following this forum at that time.

Thank God for self reliance.View attachment 301437
Those look like 'Blank Gun" caps. Never tried to do those.

I have been making mine using the 22lrreloader equipment and my own H48. I mostly make Aluminum ones as I can get 100+ caps out of a single soda can, but I found if I get sheet copper from Amazon I can basically make commercial caps. But that doubles the cost to 3 cents each!

The Aluminum ones require the "Slixshot" nipples to stay on a revolver, but on any single shot gun they are fine. With my copper ones the sides of the cap look ribbed instead of smooth, but that's the only way you can tell them apart. I have managed to get to 100% reliability on both.

Agreed Snakebit,

Those folks were on one of the social media platforms and mainly interested in shooting their revolvers. I wasn’t following this forum at that time.
I bought slickshot nipples for all 3 of my revolvers and availability of #10's was probably the biggest factor aside from the cap jams on the Colt replicas. I'm not competition guy or anything, my interest are mostly in hunting. But when the weather is nice I like to take the revolvers and a thermos of coffee to the range. That can eat up a tin of caps in no time. Especially when I offer some of the lookey loos to take one for a spin.

Those look like 'Blank Gun" caps. Never tried to do those.

I have been making mine using the 22lrreloader equipment and my own H48. I mostly make Aluminum ones as I can get 100+ caps out of a single soda can, but I found if I get sheet copper from Amazon I can basically make commercial caps. But that doubles the cost to 3 cents each!

The Aluminum ones require the "Slixshot" nipples to stay on a revolver, but on any single shot gun they are fine. With my copper ones the sides of the cap look ribbed instead of smooth, but that's the only way you can tell them apart. I have managed to get to 100% reliability on both.
They're 3d printed caps that I fill with my own FH42 compound and they work fantastic.

An old saying that rigs true with every CCI Cap thread.
Buy it cheap & stack it deep.

Looks like some of you didn't head that advice.
I personally adhere to that advice Bill. I stock more than I can shoot them. But I do miss the days you could walk into mostly any shop and get what you needed no matter the time of year. I guess a lot of ingredients went into that recipe for disaster, the Internet, big box chain stores causing the small shops to close, politics, human nature, declining interest, modern in lines. I'm going to quit typing now, I'm starting to depress myself 🤣

I personally adhere to that advice Bill. I stock more than I can shoot them. But I do miss the days you could walk into mostly any shop and get what you needed no matter the time of year. I guess a lot of ingredients went into that recipe for disaster, the Internet, big box chain stores causing the small shops to close, politics, human nature, declining interest, modern in lines. I'm going to quit typing now, I'm starting to depress myself 🤣
Progress isn’t necessarily progress. I loved being able to walk in most gun shops and pick up a $3 or $4 pound of BP. The caps were less than a dollar and available in multiple sizes (at least tens and elevens) as well as good waterproof musket caps. Those were double or triple the cost of regular caps.

That was late seventies and early eighties when I arrived in Texas. Pay was crappy but shooting supplies were more affordable.

Now we have the National chains and the small shops are gone. Progress?

Progress isn’t necessarily progress. I loved being able to walk in most gun shops and pick up a $3 or $4 pound of BP. The caps were less than a dollar and available in multiple sizes (at least tens and elevens) as well as good waterproof musket caps. Those were double or triple the cost of regular caps.

That was late seventies and early eighties when I arrived in Texas. Pay was crappy but shooting supplies were more affordable.

Now we have the National chains and the small shops are gone. Progress?
Any time I find something I got from waybackwhen that still has the pricetag on it, I don't know whether to chuckle or cuss. I was in a store yesterday to get a pound of modern powder, what I paid 45 bucks for a year ago is now 65. Hope the cost increases meant the folks working there to actually make it got a raise, but me thinks probably not. I'll just suck it up I guess, cause a damn sure ain't gonna take up golf as a hobby instead of shooting 😉

Understandable reaction. Unfortunate circumstances.

I Bought 1000 cci caps in January
Online or in store?
The last time I was able to buy CCI caps (online) was in August of 2021. I was then able to buy some RWS 1075 caps last September. Basically, there are some shooting supplies I'm always on the lookout for, and when they show up, I try to buy enough to hold me for a few years of average shooting.
Do you guys mind sharing where you found them?

I was able to get ~1000 cci and some Remington (both #11) at a local Bass Pro, but that was all they had in stock

Online or in store?

Do you guys mind sharing where you found them?

I was able to get ~800 cci and 200 Remington (both #11) at a local Bass Pro, but that was all they had in stock
Got my CCI from Kygunco when they were shipping to customers. Delivered, I paid $14/100 for reg and 15/100 for magnum. Early last year. Only vendor I see with RWS #11 is Powder,Inc.

Got my CCI from Kygunco when they were shipping to customers. Delivered, I paid $14/100 for reg and 15/100 for magnum. Early last year. Only vendor I see with RWS #11 is Powder,Inc.
Yeah surprisingly Bass Pro was $14 for regulars as well, I thought it was going to be higher priced so I had to snag them.

Haven't tried RWS yet but have heard good things for the 1075s.
I know they're a solid company as I've used their Air Rifles and pellets before which are usually top notch

Any time I find something I got from waybackwhen that still has the pricetag on it, I don't know whether to chuckle or cuss. I was in a store yesterday to get a pound of modern powder, what I paid 45 bucks for a year ago is now 65. Hope the cost increases meant the folks working there to actually make it got a raise, but me thinks probably not. I'll just suck it up I guess, cause a damn sure ain't gonna take up golf as a hobby instead of shooting 😉
$2.85 a pound for 3F Hodgdon. Made in Scotland so they had to ship it here too. Not trying to trigger you into cussing but showing this for those newer to the sport.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back