• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cast iron and glass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a gas stove, but use the hob for most of my daily cooking I like them as they are fast, easy to clean and great with cast iron. I am a one man show and like to cook, but hate to clean. They are ideal for smaller meal preparation.

They heat a cast iron pan in an instant.... 5 times faster than gas in my estimation....and they are great for simmering in a small pot or dutch oven without hot spots.. even more adjustable than gas in my opinion.

Especially handy when cooking a larger meal for friends and family....you can use your gas stove for the bulk and the hob for side cooking sauces or pre prep while other stuff is cooking.

All around, one of my better purchases.

@Rifleman1776 Having had an ex-wife or two, it is a cheap $60 solution to avoiding the female wrath and fixation on scratching her stove top and the endless looks of "I told you so" every time she is at the stove.. 1 minor scratch and she will engrave on your tombstone, "The SOB scratched my stove."
What's a hob?

I love cast iron, but don't have one of the glass top stoves, ours is a Jenn-Air Gas top with electric oven. Wish I had room for this in the house, a Home Comfort Cook Stove, it will burn either wood or coal. I'm going to either build an outdoor three sided kitchen shed to put it in, or put it in a corner of the new shop building that I'm building. My Dad had it stored in his barn for years. Here's a photo of the same model made in the early 1900s.
Home Comfort Cook Stove.jpg

My son has a glass top range, his wife does all of the cooking and she has relegated the cast iron skillet that I gave them to cornbread duty only.
If a dog pee’s on a light pole in my grid the lights go off so I am all natural gas. In 1994 we had an ice storm and my lights were out for 18 days. I had gas heat, cooking, & hot water. I bought a portable generator so we could run the fridge and freezer and some lights. My in-laws moved in with me because their central unit needed electricity. After 4 days I offered to give them the generator, take it over there and hook it up for them if they would just go home.

Crazy thought......
How about block sanding the bottom of the cast iron skillet making it flat? Less chance to scratch and better heat transfer?
Now I'm thinking about using the mill at work to cut it flat..... Now I need to stop thinking about it...

No better heat transfer, BUT makes it much easier to clean (wipe out) once it has been properly seasoned.

Youtube has a video on this, from Kent Rollins, which is very good.

We bought a new glass top electric range about a year ago. My wife won't let me use my favorite cast iron frying pan on it claiming the glass will get scratched. I've about had it with non-stick pans that stick sumptin' awful. And food doesn't taste the same as with cast iron. Anybody have experience with cast on glass tops?
Nah, I like US-made iron pan & gas stove.

I've always had gas and/or wood my whole life but this house I bought 6 years ago was furnished with a nearly new electric range. So I figured i would give it a shot. I've grown to like it better than gas now.

I use my cast iron on it all the time. I don't slide them around and I'm cautious when I set a pan down on it. Common sense approach I would say.

Also ran the wife off almost 10 years ago and still don't care a lick what she thinks.......

We bought a new glass top electric range about a year ago. My wife won't let me use my favorite cast iron frying pan on it claiming the glass will get scratched. I've about had it with non-stick pans that stick sumptin' awful. And food doesn't taste the same as with cast iron. Anybody have experience with cast on glass tops?
I haven't had any experince with cast iron pans on a glass stove top but I have had a lot of experience dealing with women? You always lose!

Interesting idea. Stoves have been around a long time. What IDIOT came up with a glass top stove?
Electric stoves are very common in the South where electric is cheaper than gas or propane, and more available than any form of gas. No gas lines run to homes around here. There's a general fear of gas in homes here as well, which contributes to the "nah, we don't want it" thing.
Old technology electric eye stoves just suck, and a glass top range is an exponential improvement over electric eye ranges. It's MUCH easier to clean up and doesn't require placing tin foil under the eye coils of the old type to help keep it clean. A glass top range also makes a great work surface when the eyes are cold. It expands my counter space for prepping foods.

To each his own, and I stated above I thought I'd hate one, but no, I love it now.

I hate them. My daughter has one that I have to use for now. They are a yuppie thing. They are not practical. Require extra cleaning efforts, and cost way too much. They are made and bought for looks and just to tell others you have one. Absolutely no advantage to them, much more the opposite. Gas range and cast iron, the only way to go.

Latest posts

Back