• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carry a '51

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you feel you really need a CC weapon (and maybe you do), then save the $250-300 you'll spend on a '51, and scrounge another $100 and buy a modern centerfire first. A Rock Island 1911, which are good solid weapons, can be had for $380 NIB.

You have to prioritize, and if daily/frequent CCW is a realistic need, then you need to be smart about it.

I guarantee, if 1911s had been around, Hickok would have strapped a pair of them instead.

I have 31 years of law enforcement under my belt and must agree with others here. Carrying a weapon without proper training is asking for trouble that could ruin your life, if you live. Carrying a concealed weapon without any training and/or permit shows your intent to use deadly force. Most bad guys will run in packs. They will carry modern weapons with high cap mags, 14 to 17 rounds each without reloading. With a 1851, you will have 5 shots and forget about reloading. If you really need protection, look at stun guns and pepper spray. I can tell you, pepper spray does work!

Well I'm not going to pry into why you want to carry a gun around, as far as I'm concenred, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon- I have a Concealed Weapons permit but I think the whole thing is unconstitutional.
IN ANY EVENT, even an 1851 is sort of a hogleg to haul around.Unless you are in a situation that really calls for it a better choice is probably a can a mace, it is a lot easy to "pack"
I bought a 1851 Clone when I was 15. A long time ago, no one cared back then. Didn't go on a shooting rampage :grin: Years later I needed something FAST for self defense against two people and that was handy so I used it. Where I currently live they recently changed the law where, if you have a concealed permit, you can carry a modern handgun during bow and muzzle loader season but prior to that I carried a 1851 not for hunting but because a few hunters had been targeted by crooks as the hunters returned to their trucks at day's end- out in the middle of no where.
As far as power. Mark Twain said a guy in Carson City was hit six times and kept riding. It's a low power gun and you need to go for a head shot. As they USED to say- right between the eyes. Today everyone aims for the body because of more powerful ammo.
If you're old enough to die defending America in the service, old enough to vote and say how our country should be run, then I guess your old enough to keep and bear arms IMHO. Good luck and walk tall.

None of my business, But you have made it 17 years without carrying, I would wait another three months and be legal.
I do not know you personally and I may be out of place, You may be the exception. But it takes age and experience to know when to pull and when to walk away. One thing I have always told my sons "If you pull it, You better use it" Or you could find yourself on the receiving end of it.
Again, none of my business, Just my opinion. :v

OK i have the legal issues figured out and will not do anything illegal. thanks for all the help and information.lonehunter i understand what your saying. after 17 years around guns i know that the only time to pull it is when something similar is pointing in your direction.i know when handling guns there's no room for oops. swampy most people around here will tell you its the four legged critters they worry about. there's lots of dogs that would be more than happy to chew on you.

FF:

Don't take this the wrong way but when you obtain your CCW, do some serious study on the legal use of a firearm in defensive situations. At least buy a couple books by Massad Ayoob on that topic.It would be a shame to throw a future away from an error in judgement. Again do some serious reading on what you can and cannot do.

Take the advice from others regarding this issue.

I've been studying this for some time now, I've read books at the library talked about it (most my family responsibly carries)and practice every time I go to the range.

Continue to give it a lot of thopuigbt and really determine what level of danger you will likley be in in a worst case scenarion whether in self defense of in law inforcement or by the grace of Uncle Sams military training/ service, killing another person is a forever thing that one cannot take back reguardless of being justified or not and most who have been there would just as soon not have made that particular journey and were they given "do-overs" a different direction would might be taken, good luck to you, and my best to you and yours

I think about that all the time "could i kill someone for my life or the life of others?". I pray i never have to but at the same time if i have to i hope i can. Its something you have to live with for the rest of your life.

Not to push the mace, etc but if its dogs you're worried about- I'm not so sure a 51 will stop them unless you hit them in the head and that could be pretty hard to do. Some form of pepper spray is probably a lot better alternative. And like I said, a lot easier to haul around. Carrying a concealed weapon, at least for me, is notice-able. It's a lot of weight. I usually forget it unless I figure I may be in a bad situation.

Every CCW holder should be intimately versed in the Use of Force model below, it's the knowledge most likely to keep you out of jail. I should try to find some training materials I can post (all mine are non-releasable).

Picture%2B2.png

freekforge said:
I've been studying this for some time now, I've read books at the library talked about it (most my family responsibly carries)and practice every time I go to the range.

OK, reality check time:

Practice on a square range helps you get the fundamentals down, but don't ever mistake it for training for a gunfight. How are you on movers? Can you shoot accurately while moving to cover? Do you own and know how to use a light while shooting? Do you practice clearance drills? Do you practice or know any weapon retention skills?

If you stand still in the open in a gunfight you're going to get hit. Whether you live or die will depend on where you get hit and trauma care in your area.

If you want to even the odds even a little bit, seek quality training, and by that I do not mean whatever minimal state CCW requirement you have to meet.

The biggest thing you can do is work on situational awareness. The more you really see what's going on around you, the less trouble you'll have whether you are armed or not.

What has been said by TG, Bdhutier and Geraldo, and others, only One Hundred times more. There is an awful lot more to it other than just "carrying". :hmm:

bdhunter i am familiar with that chart as my brother is a law enforcement officer.geraldo i do practice these both while at the range and at home.

freekforge said:
What do you guys think about carrying a colt 1851 for protection. I want to carry one next year while i wait for my concealed carry permit and thought the '51 would be a good choice.
To answer your question directly without getting into the legalities my answer is a Colt 1851 .36 caliber pistol will stick out like a sore thumb if your trying to conceal it.
They are not a small easily concealed pistol.

If you wear it openly around in public prepare yourself to be the laughing stock of the neighborhood.

I was reading Marcy last night- 30 Years of Army Life on the Border- and he was talking about the new colt revolvers and wondered if the smaller Navy 36 caliber was really very effective as compared to the larger Army 44 caliber. Sort of interesting.
I agree about the Navy being too big for concealed carry.
The courses are okay. I always ask the cops I meet if they do some one hand shooting with the off hand, that is left handed if they are right handed. To date I haven't gotten any yes responses. In fact they tell me that's not the way to shoot, you use BOTH hands.

Umm, guys, if he can get his CCW permit at 18, then he won't be breaking any laws carrying.

The "federal" requirement is for the PURCHASE of a handgun. That's it. It has nothing to do with possession. States say what their posession age is. Here in KY, I THINK unsupervised handgun posession is 16. If not, it's 18. Been a while since I was that age... :grin:

Now, why on earth he wants to try to carry a 51 navy concealed I could not answer.... But then, I'm in Ky, so if I want to pack a pistol, it goes on my hip, no fuss, no muss. :wink:

Freekfourge,

I get the sense that you are going to do what you want regardless of the opinions you get here and that is fine we live in a free country. However, there is a lot of accumulated wisdom here so I hope you will at least consider it seriously.

Don

Back