• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a pieta 1858 Remington. Looking for some load data and answers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I wouldn't carry a b.p. pistol for self defense. I carry everyday and no I'm not paranoid. But to me self protection is more about reading people in your daily travels that means more. Keep your head up, look people eye to eye and don't look timid.
There's a lot of responsibility in carrying a firearm. Most people that I have been involved in teaching gun safety. Lack the emotional strength in using it if they have too.
Most classes that I have taken don't teach anything about situational awareness. Neither do they teach what to say an do if you have to use your gun or the aftermath afterwards.
It's ok you know how to shoot the gun. So your ok to carry it...that will be $125.00 good by.... Here's your permit...

The scariest issue about carrying an 1858 for self defence is that the bad guy you might have to shoot won't have a gun like yours. From the gets go you at a possibly deadly disadvantage. This ain't the 19th Century. It matters not at all how many cowboys and wild Indians died from an 1858. Things are a bit different now.

Well done, sir. And thank you. God bless and keep you.
I've had guys walk up on me with rifles in trails I just duck behind a tree and draw my two 1858 and use the tree as a body shield it only takes one round ball center mass a bullet is a bullet weather it's a 556 or a.457 round ball over some powder i carry because I've seen what kind of real evil is out there. Also I have small bears in my area. edit....i also carry a 1858 carbine and while ill prolly never have to in my life time i wont hesitate to engage anything two or four legs in the woods or public if necessary i live in a pretty peaceful place but we have idiots/crackheads and mama bears with cubs in the winter. god bless i want everyone in the world the have a gun god made us all and colt made us all equal!!! praise the lord and pass the ammunition XD

Last edited:
The scariest issue about carrying an 1858 for self defence is that the bad guy you might have to shoot won't have a gun like yours. From the gets go you at a possibly deadly disadvantage. This ain't the 19th Century. It matters not at all how many cowboys and wild Indians died from an 1858. Things are a bit different now.

Well done, sir. And thank you. God bless and keep you.
Not as great of a disadvantage as a pocket knife.

If their within twenty feet of you. Quite possibly their going to stick you before you can draw an fire your weapon..
Also what most people don't understand is the fact. If you don't hit the spine or the bean pot and their high on drugs. You best know your weapon and how to use it. Because their not falling down otherwise. It isn't Hollywood.. Adrenaline does strange things to people.
Just saying...

If their within twenty feet of you. Quite possibly their going to stick you before you can draw an fire your weapon..
Also what most people don't understand is the fact. If you don't hit the spine or the bean pot and their high on drugs. You best know your weapon and how to use it. Because their not falling down otherwise. It isn't Hollywood.. Adrenaline does strange things to people.
Just saying...
I ment not as much as a disadvantage as having a knife. Before the consideration of a cap and ball I carried a fixed blade. I would rather have my 1858 than a knife.

For a kid, you're much more articulate than I was at your age. I also don't see why you're getting the response you are by some folks that were likely the same way when they were 18.

I get it, you can't carry a firearm so you're going to use what you can. Throw 30 grains of your favorite 3f powder and stick a round ball on it and go about your day.

I also don't see why you're getting the response you are by some folks that were likely the same way when they were 18.

Because most of the replies are from folks who were that age in the 1980's or earlier, and the world is different, especially the courts, than they were in the 1980's. ;)

LD

My medium length 58 army is so much fun for planking at the tin cans, I only load about 20 grain of powder, it's a lot of fun.

wounding and crippling a deer is not fun.

trying to put all that powder in there,
as has been stated here already ,
you're going to just burn all that powder in a flash and bang that isn't going to result in any more range.

The only thing you can really do if you're sure you want to try that is to go ahead and load it up the way you want and try doing some target shooting and test its penetration on things such as phone books or water jugs to see how much it's going to penetrate and if it's going to be accurate enough to take a deer at 50 yards or however close you really think you can get.

My medium length 58 army is so much fun for planking at the tin cans, I only load about 20 grain of powder, it's a lot of fun.

wounding and crippling a deer is not fun.

trying to put all that powder in there,
as has been stated here already ,
you're going to just burn all that powder in a flash and bang that isn't going to result in any more range.

The only thing you can really do if you're sure you want to try that is to go ahead and load it up the way you want and try doing some target shooting and test its penetration on things such as phone books or water jugs to see how much it's going to penetrate and if it's going to be accurate enough to take a deer at 50 yards or however close you really think you can get.
Bow stand has deer at 15 yards. I refuse to shoot past 15 yards. Secondly diminishing returns is still returns. Water acts as a solid when hit with velocity so it is a poor test medium. Soft powder dirt is a good comparative medium. I can compare the 1858 to a 45acp 44 special 44mag ect. So I won't shoot a deer and wound it I intend to have a very good idea of the performance the revolver has.

In the 1970's I answered a call and cleared a house in Houston with what I had, my 1861 loaded with bullets made with an altered* Lee Precision 9mm mold. The look on the faces of HPD when they finally arrived and saw the kid with the 1861 was memorable.

*Used a 3/8" drill.

I used to shoot them but we've become...
wncc3.jpg

close.

Latest posts

Back