• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

carry a '51

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one has to carry a ML pistol concealed the .31 pocket pistol or a .36 Sheriffs modle or police modle would be less visable, the .31 will require some pretty good shooting to do other than irritate a big ol' boy named Bubba, I carried a '51 in a shoulder holster when trapping only as a convienience and to keep it out of the weather, but unless wearing a large coat it was no secret that someting was there, good luck with whatever you choose and just be carefull my friend.

Norinco said:
Ah, Indiana, where you can get a CCL at 18, but cannot buy a handgun yet due to federal law. I would recommend having your parents buy you a modern handgun once you get your CCL.]

I wish I lived in Indiana :(

crockett said:
The courses are okay. I always ask the cops I meet if they do some one hand shooting with the off hand, that is left handed if they are right handed. To date I haven't gotten any yes responses. In fact they tell me that's not the way to shoot, you use BOTH hands.
You just met one who does. I regularly practice snap shooting, RH alone, LH alone, tactical reloads, RH only reloads, LH only reloads, and drawing with each hand.

Both hands are the most stable, controllable way to shoot, no one will argue that. But if you're not practicing the above, you're taking your chances.

Think about a right-hander coming up on the corner of a building on the right... wouldn't it make more sense to swap hands and be ready to shoot while negotiating the corner, than to stay in the RH, and have to expose half your body mass before you can shoot? Can't do that w/o practice.

Oh, and it may be even more important with your long guns, since your shooting position is much less flexible.

bdhutier,
I'm a second one. The department I retired from required it and if I remember right, so did the MP's when I was in. Besides cover, it's also flexability. If your strong hand or arm became injuried, you could still defend yourself with your weak hand. Strange, I started my career packing a 1911. After 31 years of law enforcement and five years of retirement, I still carry a 1911 :v

As per federal law, an 1851 Navy is not technically classified as a firearm. It is an antique, relic or replica. That being said, it is still classified as a deadly weapon. What's the difference? A shuriken is not considered a knife, but is still a deadly weapon and is illegal in some states. I wonder if, once the weapon is concealed on ones person, it is neither fish nor fowl and will get your tail into more trouble than the 'protection' is worth. My advice, use the best concealed weapon...your brain and stay out of the more likely areas of confrontation. My personal belief is many, by no means all, who carry a concealed weapon tend to take unneccessary risks.

Montana allows 18 year olds to get a CCW.
AK no longer requires one but issues them so as to be able to carry in states with reciprocity. I think my MT CCW allows me to carry in 30 odd states.
MT allows carrying concealed when engaged in an outdoor activity such as hiking, fishing, camping etc. But the CCW is needed in town.
My son got one as soon as he was old enough.

Dan

In the small town I live in anything that ejects a projectile, Daisy Red Rider for example, is considered a firearm. So shooting a Red Rider in town is "discharging a firearm".

Dan

Lizardo said:
I wonder if, once the weapon is concealed on ones person, it is neither fish nor fowl and will get your tail into more trouble than the 'protection' is worth. My advice, use the best concealed weapon...your brain and stay out of the more likely areas of confrontation. My personal belief is many, by no means all, who carry a concealed weapon tend to take unneccessary risks.

This is not borne out by the stats of people who carry concealed.
In many places in the US staying away from places where comfrontations are likely would mean hiding in your basement 24-7. I have a friend who lives in Reading PA and its not safe out his front door anymore.
I have carried concealed for decades and never had much need of it, never shot anyone at least.
BUT. If you EVER NEED a firearm and don't have it there is no replacement. Nothing else will fill the need. Bringing martial arts, for example, to a gunfight is virtually certain to take second place, no matter what you might see in reruns of "Kung Fu" and in gunfights there is no second place.

Dan

Glad to hear it. Being able to shoot strong and weak hands can be a life saver.

Implied in your original question is can a 17 year old IN resident leagally carry a C&B pistol, since some may consider it a curio or relic, not a real pistol. The answer is no you can't, and the law does not have a special category for relics.

Your sidebar info shows you are 17 years old and a resident of IN. It is illegal in IN for a 17 year old to carry a pistol, other than under certain conditions such as hunting or a shooting range.

Loaded/unloaded, concealed/open, modern/antique, trained/untrained, skilled marksman/unskilled makes no difference, the IN law is clear: you must be 18 years of age or older. The point is not if an 1851 Colt is an adequate defense firearm, the point is you are considering violating IN law. And you know this as you state you need to wait to be 18 to get a CCW permit.

If you choose to knowingly violate IN law and carry when underage, and you are not arrested, and no one knows except you that you are illegally carrying a firearm, then at best you only have a character flaw which I hope does not re-appear on other matters.

No one can estimate the probability you will be caught violating IN law and perhaps you think it is very low. But if caught, the consequences are well known and severe. At 17, you may have trouble grasping the severity of these consequences.

But as I and others have already stated, if convicted of of a felony for violating IN carry law, this will forever close many of your life's options, including joining the military, law enforcement, many civilian jobs, and likely impact your ability to borrow at favorable rates.

If you use lethal force in a life-threatening situation, and a Grand Jury does not indict you, or a trial acquits you, you will still be convicted of violating IN law for carrying underage.

I wish the people's republic of massachusetts had clear and sensible CCW laws, but alas, they do not. :barf: Most of the populated cities and towns restrict it heavily, and I'm not allowed to get a permit in my town.

And I thought we all were subject to the same Constitution? :idunno:

-Good luck with your carry permit!

Please do not misunderstand me. It is getting nearly as bad here and I do have a CCW. My point is too many folks start to carry and suddenly think they are invincable. A good friend of mine at work is a good example. Only really been shooting about a year now, got his permit, now thinks he's good to go anywhere he wants. I have tried to caution him that there are times when it is better to leave the weapon pouched and then there are times to put it into action and when you do, you'd better be ready to use it and you'd better be right.

Said it before and will say it again.
You're taking a toy gun to a gunfight.
Wild Bill and his cohorts not withstanding.
That was long ago and they used the best available.
I have BP for 50 years.
I did two tours in te bush in VN.
Got a couple purple hearts to show for it.
Your life and those of your family are a lot more important than swaggering around like a fool with a less than state of art weapon.
Life and death is not a game. Responsibility requires realistic thinking.

Forager said:
You're taking a toy gun to a gunfight....I have BP for 50 years...Responsibility requires realistic thinking.
I would have thought that someone who had 50 years experience with black powder weapons, and who espoused responsibility, would know that black powder guns are not toys. They will kill you just as dead.

I'm not advocating bp revolvers for personal defense. I AM advocating NOT calling bp weapons 'toys'.

I agree with Mykeal,
Your just as dead if shot in the head from a 1911 as from a 1851. Black Powder weapons are not toys! We few who do civil war reenacting have to drive that home to fellow reenactors and spectators all the time.

My two cents after not reading every post. A 51 is a manstopper. However, reliability is an issue. I have tried to live with one for a while as a daily carry piece. When it works, it is great. But spent caps will jam up the works and take you out of a gunfight shortly after it begins. No they are not toys, but there are better options out there.

I'm sure forager was using the word "toy" as a figure of speech, not as a literal description.

I do agree that when it comes to firearms perhaps it would be better to stick with descriptions that cannot be easily mistaken.

That is not the best way to train. I completed the police academy here in California. We practiced shooting one handed both strong side and weak side as well as the Weaver. We also had night shoots with and without a flashlight.

I currently work in juvenile corrections. I have done this for over 8 years. The department does not authorize off duty carry. Even with AB 109 releasing a bunch of prisoners I am still not that into the idea of carrying a concealed weapon. This is mostly because it is so difficult to truly conceal a weapon on your person.

Even more importantly it is so easy to get caught up in litigation. And as many of the other members have highlighted in their posts can be quite expensive.

The best advice I can give anyone is to read a book called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. This book was recommended to me by the Chief of Police of the college police department I worked for. The man spent 20 years with Los Angeles Police Department so I figured he was on to something. The book highlighted the idea of situational awareness.

More than anything else be aware of what is going on around you. Most people go through their days absolutely oblivious to what is going on around them. This is what causes people to become victims of crime. If the hair on the back of your neck is standing up it is time to get out of there as fast as possible.

Sadly, this post is about a juvenile in IN who wants to carry in violation of his/her state law, and NOT about if a 36 cal BP revolver is a self-defense weapon.

The originator of this post is trying to get around IN state law. This child deserves knowledge of what their actions can entail.

To the original poster, wait until you can legally carry, but not before.

Back