• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copper in a New Army 44?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well copper, even in a .451 or .454 diameter I'd think might be a bit light and a bit too hard.
You might try tin and silver, or just tin.
Get a .451 mold, preferably with round ball and conical so you can try both shapes. Get some "lead free solder" at the hardware store, and see if the bullet will load, and how well they shoot. The conical, being of more volume will give you more weight in the projectile, but the round ball will let you tell if the alloy is soft enough to load into the Remington.
Bismuth is brittle, and bismuth/tin alloy has bismuth added to add weight..., and if it was to work, I'd look for 40/60 bismuth and tin.
The advantage of the tin or tin/silver would be you're going to be at such a close range hunting with a handgun, that the velocity should be still quite high at impact, while if you were using a rifle and going say 50 or more yards, the lack of mass would cause such an alloy ball to significantly shed velocity.

LD
I have suggested thus before. Get some lead free pewter mugs or something else. I melt it often to make knife hilts. Any of the mugs they give away for trophies are lead free and you can get them for a buck or 2 at yards sales. I tried it with a .530 ball mold and they worked just fine maybe a little harder than lead.

I have suggested thus before. Get some lead free pewter mugs or something else. I melt it often to make knife hilts. Any of the mugs they give away for trophies are lead free and you can get them for a buck or 2 at yards sales. I tried it with a .530 ball mold and they worked just fine maybe a little harder than lead.
Did you increase your powder charge to take advantage of the tin weighing much less than lead?

BRILLIANT.JPG

LD

You know, this thread is making me question what it is that regulators in California say you are allowed to use in percussion revolvers. If you're allowed, that is.

Latest posts

Back