• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a pieta 1858 Remington. Looking for some load data and answers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this is all well and good, but i still am having a hard time understanding why an 18 yr old feels like they need to be armed! Something is not complete in this picture. How many of you were armed 24/7 when you were 18? I know I wasn't? Just one man's opinion. :dunno:
Hmmm?
You don’t understand why an 18 year old feels they need to be armed ?
Why does anyone feel the need to be armed ?
What does age have to do with it?

yes, it can be a hard world at times but do not fall prey to the nay sayers etc that all is lost etc and you need to be armed to the teeth 24/7. In reality, such is not the case. Live in fear, Die in despair.... you can do quite well in today's world with a bit of situational awareness and alot of commons sense. IMHO
Situational awareness?
As in filling your gas tank ?
Or even sitting at a red light in our nations capital of Washington DC and being car jacked ?
Where is this safe haven you are talking about that one can move about freely with no worry of crime touching their lives?

I bought the sheriff with the 5.5in barrel and am looking for a good load that would work on deer. Ik I'm barking up the wrong tree with the short barrel but I think it's possible. I have a 200gn deep hollow point for 45acp that I think will work wonderfully. I think I can cram 35gn of pyrodex under it. What velocity am I looking forward to. I want to use a heavy HP to make up for the short barrel and help the powder burn and I don't want over penetration because it will all so be my carry pistol. No I'm not a felon I'm 18 and the founding fathers said I should be able to carry a gun so I will. For the record I absolutely love the 58 Remington my 1860 army is great and all but it just doesn't tickle my fancy the same.
35 grain and bullet might br issue. Not that it can't handle the load. Comes down to seating the bullet enough clear your forcing cone. Experiment and see. The 1858 is sweet gun. I had the 1858 with 5.5 inch barrel. Wish I never sold it. IIRC the service charge for paper cartridges was 25 grains. Paper cartridges are convenient to load.

Enjoy the addiction. It's fun. Post your results.

Situational awareness?
As in filling your gas tank ?
Or even sitting at a red light in our nations capital of Washington DC and being car jacked ?
Where is this safe haven you are talking about that one can move about freely with no worry of crime touching their lives?
Nothing is perfect. Live in fear, Die in Despair. Tens of millions of people go about their business and lives every day without being armed. Fact! Why is they can and you can't? There is always the chance that crime will come your way. You could get in a car accident too, or hit by lightning. Do you worry about that constantly?So , yes, being aware of your surroundings and being smart to avoid situation and areas that are higher risk etc can help you and yours stay safe. On the other hand , you can go packing, which may or may not make any difference when the SHTF. YMMV

Hmmm?
You don’t understand why an 18 year old feels they need to be armed ?
Why does anyone feel the need to be armed ?
What does age have to do with it?
With age comes experience and wisdom, for those who want to learn.

One thing you need to check on to protect yourself.
In my state a convicted felon cannot dwell in the same place where there is a firearm. I know the fed does not consider a black powder revolver a firearm. That is perfectly clear. What is not clear if the Texas judicial system considers it a firearm in relation to an ex felon. In my state, they do. A friend of mine’s son committed a felony and served his time. After release he had to move back home with his dad. The dad, a gun owner, had to move all of his firearms, black powder included, to his brother’s home to stay within the law. State laws are additional to federal laws and can supersede federal laws.
You make many good points and are impressively fast with the cylinder change. Others have made good points also. As far as youthful bravado, been there done that. It’s normal and expected. Most of the older guys that criticize you were there once also.
Mark Twain was reported to have said and I paraphrase:
‘When I was 16, my old man was so ignorant I could hardly stand to be around him. When I was 25 I was amazed at how much the old gentleman had learned.’
Be careful, be safe, please do check on Texas law concerning this. You are an intelligent articulate young man. Enjoy your black powder experience.

Apologies to Mark Twain for the paraphrase. Couldn’t find the actual quote.

Well Muzzleloadingat 18…
You asked a question and the thread drifted off to “Why an 18 year old feels the need to carry a gun” !
My reply would have been “ Why should anyone feel the neeed to carry a gun if an 18 year old shouldn’t?”

As to your carrying a cap and ball for self defense?
Many people died from being shot with your “inadequate “ cap and ball revolvers !

I have been shooting blackpowder revolvers since I was your age.
I’m 67 now.
I like the colt open tops for the better handling traits ( for me)

But if I was going to carry a cap and ball for self defense it would be the Remington hands down just for the reason of never having a cap jam in a Remington and having quite a few in the open top colt pistols ( There are things you can do to stop cap jams in the colts)
That said..I would never choose a cap and ball for self defense ,,,if I had a choice to use something more modern.
But I believe you make the best with what yiu got.
If you are using the 1858 for self defense ,then I would recommend the round ball.
Elmer Kieth ( Who actually knew some civil war veterans ) said they told him the round balls would put a man down faster than the elongated bullets.
But the longer bullet would work better on putting a horse down.
This is from those who actually shot people with the cap and ball guns and not the arm chair experts of today.
Elmer even stated that the 1851 navy 36 cal. Would drop jack rabbits better than the 38 spl, round nose lead bullet.
Btw-if you do not know who Elmer Kieth is ,Google him.
Anyone that picks up a gun should know about Kieth!
If you are planning to use the 58 on deer I would still use the round ball and choose your shot wisely.
Your range is determined by your accuracy.
You should be able to put a cylinder full of your shots into a 6” circle.
At what ever distance that is for you ,,that is your kill range for a side shot through the lungs on a deer.
If you can shoot as good ,,,as what you can handle that 58 in swapping cylinders ,,you should have no trouble on using the gun for self defense or hunting.

Btw- If you do carry the 1858 ,,,,make sure it is in a holster,,that front sight will catch on clothing like large a mouth bass on a small frog.

With age comes experience and wisdom, for those who want to learn.
I know a lot of “aged” people that have no experience or wisdom with guns .

I dealt with people of all ages and differences of experience and wisdom everyday in class.
It isn’t just young people that are “know it alls” when it comes to guns.
In fact the worse students to have in a self defense class are typically the men with a little bit of experience .
Because they thought since they had a pistol in the service that they were experts.
The adage of you can’t teach an old dog new tricks rings true when the old dog thinks he knows all the tricks.
If you look at combat pistol shooting you will see that the stances and grip on the weapon has change over the years ,,it is the young pups that have brought in the modern combat techniques that are used today.
So instead of telling a young shooter they are wrong ,or even worse questioning them on why they feel the need to exercise their right to own/carry a gun,,,you should be giving advise on the proper way to opperate,,and handle said gun of choice,,,,if you actually have experience with the gun .

Nothing is perfect. Live in fear, Die in Despair. Tens of millions of people go about their business and lives every day without being armed. Fact! Why is they can and you can't? There is always the chance that crime will come your way. You could get in a car accident too, or hit by lightning. Do you worry about that constantly?So , yes, being aware of your surroundings and being smart to avoid situation and areas that are higher risk etc can help you and yours stay safe. On the other hand , you can go packing, which may or may not make any difference when the SHTF. YMMV
I do not live in fear of being attacked .
But I do carry everyday.
I know a lot of people do not carry a gun.
Does that make me paranoid?
I also do not worry about getting in an auto accident .
But I do have auto insurance
I also do not worry about my house burning down
But I have house insurance .
As far as being smart and avoiding places that might be a higher risk area?????
That sounds like a paranoid person living in fear.
I go where ever I want ,,sometimes I go to places that I do not want to go to but have to out of necessity.
I always try to be aware. ,no matter if I am in a bad part of town,,in the woods or at church.
But I do not shelter myself from the world because some places scare others.

I know a lot of “aged” people that have no experience or wisdom with guns .

I dealt with people of all ages and differences of experience and wisdom everyday in class.
It isn’t just young people that are “know it alls” when it comes to guns.
In fact the worse students to have in a self defense class are typically the men with a little bit of experience .
Because they thought since they had a pistol in the service that they were experts.
The adage of you can’t teach an old dog new tricks rings true when the old dog thinks he knows all the tricks.
If you look at combat pistol shooting you will see that the stances and grip on the weapon has change over the years ,,it is the young pups that have brought in the modern combat techniques that are used today.
So instead of telling a young shooter they are wrong ,or even worse questioning them on why they feel the need to exercise their right to own/carry a gun,,,you should be giving advise on the proper way to opperate,,and handle said gun of choice,,,,if you actually have experience with the gun .
The combat stance of today is based on the use of body armor. Unlike the orig Weaver stance that had you in a semi bladed position. My post had a caveat, it said, "if you are willing to learn". That is a big if. I have been a certified trainer at the federal State and Local level for 30 yrs. I have been trained and have done training with some of the best. I have run "shoot houses" etc many times where most people never see one their entire life. Still, it is not the street and is not real life. My time in Govt when I was on the street ,in harms way, was much more enlightening then the "four point" draw taught at Gunsite.

So, back to the orignal posting where i purchased a new 1858 remington, and received it two days ago! HELP! I am trying to remove the nipples, operative word TRYING!! I have been able to remove 4 out of 6. They are in so tight that the nipple wrench I used is basically destroyed. Lets face it they are cheaply made! I am looking for suggestions on how to remove these remaining two!! I did put some Kroil on them, but still, no joy! Also, who makes a decent nipple wrench that will not tear apart and break under heavy use?:dunno:

I do not live in fear of being attacked .
But I do carry everyday.
I know a lot of people do not carry a gun.
I also do not worry about getting in an auto accident .
But I do have auto insurance
I also do not worry about my house burning down
But I have house insurance .
As far as being smart and avoiding places that might be a higher risk area?????
That sounds like a paranoid person living in fear.
I go where ever I want ,,sometimes I go to places that I do not want to go to but have to out of necessity.
I always try to be aware. ,no matter if I am in a bad part of town,,in the woods or at church.
But I do not shelter myself from the world because some places scare others.
I agree with your sentiments however, You are required to have Auto Insurance and you are required to have HomeOwners insurance unless it is free and clear, so No, it does not make you paranoid. If you go someplace questionable, because you have too, then that is that. To go someplace questionable just for the hejj of it, then you might want to ask yourself why? It is not about being scared, it is about being smart. IMHO

I've kept quiet so far because the thread got away from muzzleloading but still stayed alive. Soooo, re. carrying, I was a VA State Trooper for 34 years. I KNOW society is corrupt. I know that trouble from that most often comes up instantaneously. Even if you are armed when it comes to call you probably won't have time to draw. While serving in our criminal division doing crime scene work I saw three dead VA Troopers lying dead from gunshot wounds on the Interstate. All three still had their .357sigs still holstered. Stuff of nightmares. Now long retired I still carry. If I'm not asleep in the bed, I am a armed. Right now as I write this on my living room couch, I have a 10-shot .380 in my pocket. If I leave the house I add a 45acp. It's neither a bother nor a burden because I've done it so very long. A shrink would tell me I'm insecure and he'd be right. Think of the horror if you needed it and didn't have it even though you might not have time to use it. Insecure maybe, but not afraid. Once we understand how awful people can be, and even though we likely won't have to shoot someone, "likely" or "unlikely" is becomes a foolish element.

I've kept quiet so far because the thread got away from muzzleloading but still stayed alive. Soooo, re. carrying, I was a VA State Trooper for 34 years. I KNOW society is corrupt. I know that trouble from that most often comes up instantaneously. Even if you are armed when it comes to call you probably won't have time to draw. While serving in our criminal division doing crime scene work I saw three dead VA Troopers lying dead from gunshot wounds on the Interstate. All three still had their .357sigs still holstered. Stuff of nightmares. Now long retired I still carry. If I'm not asleep in the bed, I am a armed. Right now as I write this on my living room couch, I have a 10-shot .380 in my pocket. If I leave the house I add a 45acp. It's neither a bother nor a burden because I've done it so very long. A shrink would tell me I'm insecure and he'd be right. Think of the horror if you needed it and didn't have it even though you might not have time to use it. Insecure maybe, but not afraid. Once we understand how awful people can be, and even though we likely won't have to shoot someone, "likely" or "unlikely" is becomes a foolish element.
Well said. After 32 years in the military, USMC/US Army, I've been all over this country and around the world several times with many combat tours. It's amazing what one person can do to another in the name of a stupid ideology, or just because they like to. I don't carry a firearm when out in public, however there's never one out of reach on my little homestead up in the mountains. In all my travels the one thing I've learned is, PEOPLE S**K. Always be aware of your surroundings and TRUST NOONE. I don't have any friends and don't want any. I'm cordial with people in the area when I run into them but mind my own dang business. It's nothing to do with paranoia or fear, I just want to be left alone in my old age. Semper Fi.

So, back to the orignal posting where i purchased a new 1858 remington, and received it two days ago! HELP! I am trying to remove the nipples, operative word TRYING!! I have been able to remove 4 out of 6. They are in so tight that the nipple wrench I used is basically destroyed. Lets face it they are cheaply made! I am looking for suggestions on how to remove these remaining two!! I did put some Kroil on them, but still, no joy! Also, who makes a decent nipple wrench that will not tear apart and break under heavy use?:dunno:
A 3/16 socket for 1/4 drive and a dremel or good metal file, you can make a very strong one

As was noted, the Slixsprings is extremely well made.

If they are rusted in then heat can help and if that does not move them then drill then out. Keep in mind those are 6mm threads on a Pietta if you need to chase a tap down the hole.

The village idiot is always happy and blissfully unaware of all the bad around him.

Well Muzzleloadingat 18…
You asked a question and the thread drifted off to “Why an 18 year old feels the need to carry a gun” !
My reply would have been “ Why should anyone feel the neeed to carry a gun if an 18 year old shouldn’t?”

As to your carrying a cap and ball for self defense?
Many people died from being shot with your “inadequate “ cap and ball revolvers !

I have been shooting blackpowder revolvers since I was your age.
I’m 67 now.
I like the colt open tops for the better handling traits ( for me)

But if I was going to carry a cap and ball for self defense it would be the Remington hands down just for the reason of never having a cap jam in a Remington and having quite a few in the open top colt pistols ( There are things you can do to stop cap jams in the colts)
That said..I would never choose a cap and ball for self defense ,,,if I had a choice to use something more modern.
But I believe you make the best with what yiu got.
If you are using the 1858 for self defense ,then I would recommend the round ball.
Elmer Kieth ( Who actually knew some civil war veterans ) said they told him the round balls would put a man down faster than the elongated bullets.
But the longer bullet would work better on putting a horse down.
This is from those who actually shot people with the cap and ball guns and not the arm chair experts of today.
Elmer even stated that the 1851 navy 36 cal. Would drop jack rabbits better than the 38 spl, round nose lead bullet.
Btw-if you do not know who Elmer Kieth is ,Google him.
Anyone that picks up a gun should know about Kieth!
If you are planning to use the 58 on deer I would still use the round ball and choose your shot wisely.
Your range is determined by your accuracy.
You should be able to put a cylinder full of your shots into a 6” circle.
At what ever distance that is for you ,,that is your kill range for a side shot through the lungs on a deer.
If you can shoot as good ,,,as what you can handle that 58 in swapping cylinders ,,you should have no trouble on using the gun for self defense or hunting.

Btw- If you do carry the 1858 ,,,,make sure it is in a holster,,that front sight will catch on clothing like large a mouth bass on a small frog.
The scariest issue about carrying an 1858 for self defence is that the bad guy you might have to shoot won't have a gun like yours. From the gets go you at a possibly deadly disadvantage. This ain't the 19th Century. It matters not at all how many cowboys and wild Indians died from an 1858. Things are a bit different now.
Well said. After 32 years in the military, USMC/US Army, I've been all over this country and around the world several times with many combat tours. It's amazing what one person can do to another in the name of a stupid ideology, or just because they like to. I don't carry a firearm when out in public, however there's never one out of reach on my little homestead up in the mountains. In all my travels the one thing I've learned is, PEOPLE S**K. Always be aware of your surroundings and TRUST NOONE. I don't have any friends and don't want any. I'm cordial with people in the area when I run into them but mind my own dang business. It's nothing to do with paranoia or fear, I just want to be left alone in my old age. Semper Fi.
Well done, sir. And thank you. God bless and keep you.

Latest posts

Back