• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster question. Forward or rearward facing butt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all.

For those who carry a longer barreled belt holstered revolver with them in the woods, on the ranch, on and off of equipment: Which direction do you like your iron to face; butt rearward or butt forward?

I understand this is mainly personal preference. I am asking from the perspective of which direction 'rides' the best for you in such scenarios. I'm having a slim jim built for my London navy and need to decide on butt direction. I want it to ride well and be unobtrusive as possible while being on a tractor, road grader, in and out of the truck, fixing fence, etc.

What has been your experience?

Its easier to draw a long barreled revolver from a cross draw.

1705853149634.png

All my holster are butt forward. 3 have flaps (better to protect the equipment) especially when transporting in car.
1 western style, left side butt forward cross draw.
I find western cowboy style right side are very uncomfortable to pull a long barrel revolver out of holster. See above.
Honestly, for use as you are describing, get a left side, butt forward, full flap, to protect it. You dont need a quick draw holster.

Last edited:
All my holster are butt forward. 3 have flaps (better to protect the equipment) especially when transporting in car.
1 western style, left side butt forward cross draw.
I find western cowboy style right side are very uncomfortable to pull a long barrel revolver out of holster. See above.
Honestly, for use as you are describing, get a left side, butt forward, full flap, to protect it. You dont need a quick draw holster.
And if hunting this will prevent accidental dings in the buttstock of your long gun.

I forgot to mention I'm left handed. Does that change your recommendation? Barrel length is 7.5"
Ok, right side butt foward. Easy to find, all civil war cavalry hoster are made that way. Sword was main weapon worn left side for cross draw with right hand. Revolver was worn right side cross draw for left hand cross draw.
My main holster is that way.

Good morning all.

For those who carry a longer barreled belt holstered revolver with them in the woods, on the ranch, on and off of equipment: Which direction do you like your iron to face; butt rearward or butt forward?

I understand this is mainly personal preference. I am asking from the perspective of which direction 'rides' the best for you in such scenarios. I'm having a slim jim built for my London navy and need to decide on butt direction. I want it to ride well and be unobtrusive as possible while being on a tractor, road grader, in and out of the truck, fixing fence, etc.

What has been your experience?
Actually both of my long barreled .44 mags carry best in a shoulder rig, butt forward, under the off side arm. Her is AK a jacket serves pretty well as the flap.
I've worn my 4 inch 629 like my pants day after day for 30 years while rafting, cutting wood or working up at our cabin in Willow. Had several Brown, black bear and moose come in close over the years.
Short barrel 44 Mag works best for me strong side , butt to the rear and tilted forward. I can work and cut wood all day and forget I have it.
The Walker, as long and heavy as it is I don't think is going to work for me with any type of holster I currently have hence the Bandoleer or quiver carry notions.

Last edited:
Butt forward, left of the belt buckle, for a right hand cross-draw for a long-barreled revolver. A shorty might work in a strong-side draw with the butt to the rear, but for a 7-1/2” or 8” barrel, cross draw is the way to go. I’m not talking about “quick draw,” per se. Just the most comfortable and efficient way to handle the firearm.

…for me. Others’ opinions may be different.

Notchy Bob

With the full length barrel I carry mostly crossdraw although I do have a couple Threepersons rigs for the long barrel guns. I really prefer 5.5” barrels on field pistols carried in the Threepersons rigs which have a standard cant. Easy draw, good retention and they just don’t get in the way.

Latest posts

Back