• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carry a '51

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused. I didn't think he wanted to carry one NOW, I thought he said he wanted to carry one next year after he gets his license?

I undertood that he thought that he could carry a BP revoler without a carry permit until he got his permit for a CF pistol which was a topic of debate in itself and likley a state by state issue, there were many side issuesd as safety, need, etics and such, I am not really sure where the original poster sits now on the original topic as posted :idunno:

Let me clear some things up, i'm not just a kid who wants to be cool by strapping a gun on i believe every one should exercise their second amendment rights. me and my family have a history of guns and law my brother was a deputy Marshall my uncle was the chief of police and my cousin is a sheriffs deputy my brother also went to school for criminal justice and forensics. so i understand the local laws. im with adults most of the time so i could legally carry now due to supervised carry laws. im not talking about carrying it all day every day.and as for why i want to carry so soon an unexercised right is a right lost.

Nope, you don't have an "unexercrised right." IN law is very clear, under 18 you can't carry. Disagree all you want, your state has an ordinance.

Don't argue the intent of the law ... it can be another way to meet a district court Judge in their courtroom.

I really do not think anyone is out to beat up on you because you are young my friend,(could be a bit of "youth envy" at play) :wink: I believe that mainly there is a genuine concern for your legal situation and safety,I hope all works well for you.

Or, the way these threads normally run, 21 at which point, it will be a great historical reference! :rotf:

with all the family in law enforcement why is this discussion even taking place on this forum? what have they advised you? i don't know about in. law but most states consider black powder guns antique replicas UNTIL YOU COMMIT A CRIME WITH ONE which you would be doing carrying under age. then IT IS CONSIDERED A HANDGUN period

20111020131318-8aa8e9c9.jpg

When I was 17, I got tired of people telling me what to do, so I joined the U.S Marine Corps :rotf: No seriously. Take the advice from most of the people on this forum. Stay away from questionable places,packin or not. Nothing good happens after dark. I have my CCL but never carry. You will come to realize its a real pain in the rear,regardless of what kind of pistol or holster. My state requires us to have a license to transport. I carry mine to the hunting club, to the range etc. I certainly believe that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed and that the CCL is nothing but a revenue scam but the law is the law and trust me they do what they want! So be smart and just enjoy being young it wont last forever!..Now go out and chase some skirts :rotf:

I think the legal issues have been covered pretty thoroughly here, and now a gunsmith's opinion. I work on historic firearms for a living, and shoot them on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. My personal favorite is the 1851 Navy, and my personal 1851 is highly modified for accuracy. However, unless I was in a really bad situation, I would NEVER trust my life to an 1851. I shot mine yesterday, and even with extensive tuning and modification, I still had a jam due to a cap falling into the action. The 1851 Navy is a very reliable gun, for its era. However, the idea of carrying one for self defense in this era is somewhat like taking a "knife to a gunfight". Even though I do love my 1851 and all it's quirks, my carry firearm is a Glock 21. It is ugly sure, but I know that all 13 rounds will go bang no matter what. That is what you are looking for in a carry weapon, it isn't so much the exercise of the "right," it is life and death. Even though you may realize that you will only draw under the most dire of circumstances, when you do, you want to be sure that the firearm you have will save your life, or the life of someone you love. There is a lot more at stake than just the right to carry, it is really a question of life and death. I simply cannot stress enough that if you are going to carry - lawful or no - that you have to have a firearm that will perform no matter what. The 1851 Navy due to it's design, just isn't suited for a modern world. I wish you the best of luck, and may you never have to use a firearm in anger.

And the other thing is size, the 51 is a big revolver and would be really tough to haul around, you would be better off to get a double barrel derringer.

Size I don't think makes a big deal when trying to conceal unless it is something as big as a buntline. My wife said I couldnt carry my .357 with 6 in barrel because it was to big. In spite I bought a compression holster and modified it to fit the thing. Went up to her and said well can you see it, she said what. I said my .357. She got a look on her face and said where. I Pointed under my left shoulder.

Power for an 1851 Navy maybe on par with a .380 acp but many departments in Europe have used the .380 for years.

I have carried a F.illi Pietta Navy but in .44. I know not PC but it was cheap. Only time I carry it is on Halloween when dressed up and with my kids. In PA you can open carry and nobody ever thinks it's real just a piece of my costume. Or when I am out in the woods and want something more challenging then my .357.

I wouldn't recommend for daily carry though.

I carry my 1911 or .380 the rest of the time for concealed carry. Never had to use them, and hope not to. But I constantly train for it. Muscle memory is a good thing to get down. Helps cut the effects of your nerves.

size doesnt matter to me either. i wasnt talking about carrying it everyday just loading it up then going to the range. hope fully i will be able to carry a colt model 1991 a1 (1911) when i get my permit that is if i can talk my dad out of it.

Back