• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caps stuck in hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaveman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .50 cal. T/C Hawken. Every time I shoot it I have to get out my knife and dig the spent cap out of the hammer before I can reload. Dads Renegade is the same way. Is there any way to stop the cap from getting stuck in the hammer?

Josh

Ive had that problem in the past with both TCs and Traditions rifles, on the TCs I took my dremel and a barrel stone and relieved it just a BIT on both the sides and the top, the Traditions only needed a good thorough cleaning with the dremel and the coned wire brush after each shoot. I also clean my Tcs the same way, no more problems .

captaincaveman said:
I have a .50 cal. T/C Hawken. Every time I shoot it I have to get out my knife and dig the spent cap out of the hammer before I can reload. Dads Renegade is the same way. Is there any way to stop the cap from getting stuck in the hammer?

Josh
Don't know how old it is but TC changed the hammers in more recent years to have a "V" notch cut in the front of the hammer shroud to help with that problem...but it never 100% completely solved it...it's most bothersome at the range where you should a lot and debris builds up in the hammer shroud...I kept a couple q-tips and a bottle of drugstore (91%) alcohol handy, cleaned it out every so often, helped a lot

my Hawken has the notch in the shroud, Dads Renegade doesn't. I can't see any real difference in the two.

Josh

Josh. Cut a v-notch in the front of the hammer, all the way to the bottom of the shroud, or skirt, so that the front part of the cap is blow open when the gun fires. That will allow the cap to fall out of the shroud or skirt when you cock the hammer back to half cock for reloading. If a cap happens to get stuck, the deep notch allows you to take a knife, or nipple pick( wire) and get it under the cap, and pop it out quickly. I found with my Percussion rifle that If I made sure that the face of the hammer was clean, and smooth, the caps did not catch up there, and stay. I also found that the notch usually caused the cap skirt to fail, and tear open, so that a jagged edge was outside the hammer skirt, and made it easy to sweep the cap out of the skirt if it did stick. Once I ground that hammer face smoothe, using a Dremel tool, and grinding bit, I didn't have any more trouble with caps sticking. On my double barrel shotgun, the hammers already had the notches cut into the forward edges. All I had to do was polish the faces of the hammers, which I did as I made sure that they hit the nipple square to the nipple's top, and I have not had any problem with stuck nipples. Occasionally a piece of the cap gets blow off, and you have to deal with flying shrapnel, but at most it might sting your forearm. I have never had any of it imbed in my skin. Usually, because the notch is over the barrel, any shrapnel hits the barrel and bounces off in some other direction away from the face above and behind, and the forearm below. I really don't worry about it at all.

i got a t/c hawken i noticed when i shoot a reduced load 35 grains[plinking load] the cap sticks [not bad ] on the nipple or just falls out of the hammer when cocking for the next shot. but when i use my huntig load 75 graines it 50/50 falls out of hammer or stuck .just show the back pressure thur the nipple might be cause of stuck caps i use #11 cci . :grin:

My Renegade Does the Same thing with CCI caps.(Not the Magnums).I use Remington Caps and they stay on the nipple when you cock the hammer after the shot. If you are using CCI's, try Remingtons.

My cap remover, made out of an old fork.
Cap-Remover.jpg

I think the brand of caps also makes a difference. I do not notice the problem as much when using the RWS 1075, but the Remington on the other hand, it seems every other one sticks in the hammer nose.

I also take Q-tips and alcohol and swab that out ever so often when on the range. I think it helps.

When I get one of these I do about the same thing, but first I use a short,sharp knife to go around the inside edge, and keep it all clean, also caps do make a difference. Fred :hatsoff:

I have an older TC 54 cal Hawken. When using the CCI #11 mag caps, most fall off, but a few stick in the hammer nose. I have been just living with it. Dig them out when I have to and clean the hammer up well when I clean the rifle. Think I will try polishing up the inside of the hammer.

Latest posts

Back