• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps- one brand better than the other?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering if one brand of cap is better than the other, or does such a thing depend on your gun?

Also, are the magnum caps better or will regular do just fine? They are priced the same.

I really like Remington caps. #10 for C&B revolvers, and #11 for rifles.

Ever since they added 40% more power they always give me instant ignition.

Capper knows caps. :grin:

Each brand has it's own characteristics and nuance. Not only the "bang" factor, but the size of the cup.
They all work, or they wouldn't be on the market.

Cap choice and what works best can be as debatable as powder choice, who makes the best car and what makes the prettiest girl.

All it takes is one bad experiance with caps that may have been improperly stored and a person won't like those caps anymore.

There are differances in "magnum" also, some may have a slighty hotter temp, some may have more volume.
The Bevel Brothers did an experiment with caps a couple years ago, and there are differances.
I've had my best luck with RWS Dynamite Nobel and stocked up several years ago, CCI Mag caps are a close second.
As capper likes Remington, I had a bad experiance with those 15yrs ago and stay clear of'm, :idunno:

Because of the little differances, changing caps will change groups on paper down range. Cap temps and charge are just another variable in the PRB load mix.

I did too, but the Remington caps have been improved since then.

I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't. :wink:

The regular caps are fine for real black,if you use pyro or some other subst.then magnums are indicated.I have used cci,rems,dixie,german caps and 2 or three others.I buy where I can get a good deal.If I change brands I shoot a few off the bench to check poi.Nowdays cci's seem to be the most readily available around here.I have never had a problem.Ford Chev deal IMHO.

I like the RWS and CCI, in that order. Only use the regular caps and haven't had any problems.
Mark

Remmy #10's for the smokewagons & CCI Magnums for rifle & shotgunnin' with #11's. Always goes bang!

Dave

I use any brand I win or get cheap for target shooting . But I use only RWS for hunting since I believe (right or wrong ) that they are less sensitive to moisture. Some people report a lack of accuracy with the magnum caps over the regular caps but I haven't noticed any difference. :idunno:

I prefer Remington #11 caps. Zero misfires firing 2,000+ shots.
I have some CCI #11's but had duds in the first tin. I use them in my C&B revolver just to use them up.

HD

Back