• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap or flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint life will be determined by the tuning of the lock. I just did an India lock (most regard as junk) and had well over 100 out of the flint and still going strong. There can be a shortage of caps and they can go bad sitting. A flintlock with real powder could be loaded and if dry effective a hundred years later. Hope this helps.

Get a kibler and be set for life.
No, sorry, I wish to dispute, just so the OP's clear on this point: OP: get a Kibler and you won't be set for life, neither will your wife be happy, because: you're just going to start lusting after another one.

(another Kibler, that is, not another wife) ;)

Just boils down to a personal choice I guess. For me I've always been a cap lock guy. I have musket nipple and 209 primer as back up. Been blessed to have always found what I need. Plus I believe the options of using real black or pyrodex is a benefit. To me there is less preparation to shoot and less maintenance on a cap system. However there are many benefits of flintlock. Whatever you use be proficient and careful in its use. Good hunting,good shooting and enjoy yourself

Last edited:
Hello my name is Joe from Cheyenne Wyoming living in Florida what a change glad to be invited to the sight Q. stocking up on my reloading supplies started thinking what do I do if we have another supply issue like with coved so checking out B.P rifles so my Q is cap or flintlock if cap can you make caps or is it like primers one use then throw away and how many rounds can you get out of a flint thanks
Hello Joe,
As someone who started with a Caplock 50 some years ago in Ohio, and then to Flint I'd suggest going the same route. Being in Fl. your weather can change at anytime. Percussion will be more reliable in the soggy conditions you're apt to find yourself in. Check out your local area and see if there's a Muzzleloading Gun Club you could join. You'll meet some great like
minded people with a wealth of knowledge in the sport. That's how I ended up going to and finding my true love of Flintlocks ! Best of Luck, enjoy the SMOKE !

Welcome to the forum, Joe! I'm a reverse Snowbird - so dang many Illinois and Michigan (et al) license tags on poorly driven cars in Florida, I decided things must be deserted up Nawth - and it's true! Many decades spent in FL - which really stands for "Flat Land".

You'll find all sorts of opinions as to which is better, or easier, or whatever.

In the event of an Apocalypse, I'd go with flint. Many different stones make sparks. But try a few of each. Most ML guys will be happy to help you decide.

I have both and I don’t shoot the caplock anymore. I still love my GPR but it just doesn’t give me the same enjoyment as my flintlock. My flintlock has been just as reliable as my caplock.

In the event of an Apocalypse, I'd go with flint. Many different stones make sparks. ...
Nice. Can make black powder out of common ingredients (unfortunately not to be discussed here), and can make a spark out of many different stones. Black powder flintlock firearms have an advantage over "cartridge" guns, IMO.

Both cap and flint. The only problem with supplies was trying to find molds for a new rifle with a fast twist to shoot slugs. Been building out of parts that have been sitting in the workshop for too many years. Still have parts left to make 4 rifles and 3 pistols, Had a good supply of powder, 2 good size bags of flints considering what they want for them today thinking about putting them in the safe. Just recently found 2 boxes of #11 percussion caps that I didn't know I had won't even make you sick with the price tags on those. How many shots out of a flint? Well I have had flints that lasted through a 3 day shoot and I have had flints that shattered on the first shot.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Might as well save some time and get both because once you make smoke you will undoubtedly get another. Start out shooting the cap then switch to the flint, your cap lock will then feel abandoned. :)

No, sorry, I wish to dispute, just so the OP's clear on this point: OP: get a Kibler and you won't be set for life, neither will your wife be happy, because: you're just going to start lusting after another one.

(another Kibler, that is, not another wife) ;)
Well I built ONE in 05, and have never wanted to build another. I made mine to give to the grand boy.
Works so well its scary

Flintlock .... I make my trade guns , I make my powder and I use what flint or chert I can find in the creeks ,( cricks ) .... Great history on the guns and d@mn cheap to build and shoot . I dont have 5 bucks in a pound of powder .... Darn fun too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_125546~3.jpg
    IMG_20231127_125546~3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
In the fast dimming recesses of my +67 year old mind, I remember reading about the mountain men preferring flint over caps. Their quite good reason was I might use all my caps and find myself up a certain creek. If I use flint, I can always get a spark from the flint and avoid that creek, especially when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and some unfriendly folks show up.

Flintlock .... I make my trade guns , I make my powder and I use what flint or chert I can find in the creeks ,( cricks ) .... Great history on the guns and d@mn cheap to build and shoot . I dont have 5 bucks in a pound of powder .... Darn fun too :)
I think you should that one to me to inspect and try for a bit😊😉

I would suggest flint -- a quality lock being absolutely essential to your happiness.
Many years ago after shooting a lot of percussion rifles and shotguns, I decided to try an inexpensive flintlock -- I think it was a Lyman/Investarms trade rifle. The lock gave me fits, with ignition in perhaps one in five attempts. I gave up on flint and practically gave it away. Then, at a rendezvous, some guy said here, shoot mine -- with a big Siler lock. Omigosh -- instant ignition, accuracy, and great satisfaction.

Back