• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap or flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvargas37

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello my name is Joe from Cheyenne Wyoming living in Florida what a change glad to be invited to the sight Q. stocking up on my reloading supplies started thinking what do I do if we have another supply issue like with coved so checking out B.P rifles so my Q is cap or flintlock if cap can you make caps or is it like primers one use then throw away and how many rounds can you get out of a flint thanks

Welcome to the forum, Joe, but sorry, I don't think that's a real issue that needs to inform your decision whether cap or flintlock. I just think it's pretty irrelevant, though I suppose others will differ. Supplies aren't a big problem any more and not likely to be going forward.

It's what do you want to shoot and why?

one or more of each. you will eventually anyway.
i lean to flintlocks but have about equal numbers of both. i think. they have reached the population level where i find a new gun once in a while that i have forgotten.
both can be fed with homemade diets with flintlocks being easier. i have fired mine with the ugliest flints one can imagine. caps take a little more work.

Its more of want to use. I am like most here i use n shoot both. Factory black powder rifles are mostly a pig in a poke. Like everything else prices are high. Lots of bad deals on GunBrokers, stuff is not up to snuff as the sellers claim lately. Pawn shops are a place look for fair rifles. Calibers are from small to large. If hunting then its more researching on calibers.

In an other post a member mentioned how someone new to the sport can be turned off to muzzloading by the (sometimes) unreliability of flintlocks vs cap locks. There are those who will disagree but I will tell you from my own experience and observations that a percussion or caplock will be reliable enough to keep you interested in the sport until you decide to try a flinter. While my friends struggled with flints my T/C capper fired 99.9%+ of the time. I have since learned to appreciate a flintlock more but they are a bit more finicky overall and while a good flint tune will keep you shooting longer, in the end a percussion will be more reliable in the long run. As for availability caps are becoming easier to get and i wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Welcome to the sport and enjoy the smoke!

Cap.

Greater reliability, easier to use for those new to the game and much faster lock time.

Convert the rifle to use Musket Nipples and you'll never have trouble finding primers.

Welcome from Maine. Ask your question in General muzzleloading on the board. This is for introductions only. Fewer people will see it on this thread.
Nit Wit

Hello my name is Joe from Cheyenne Wyoming living in Florida what a change glad to be invited to the sight Q. stocking up on my reloading supplies started thinking what do I do if we have another supply issue like with coved so checking out B.P rifles so my Q is cap or flintlock if cap can you make caps or is it like primers one use then throw away and how many rounds can you get out of a flint thanks
Shots per flint can vary, but most get 20-30 shots per flint. Some more, some less. Caps can be made but I know nothing about that process, I've been lucky enough to find caps and have good supply.

In my opinion flint guns are more fun, but cap guns are more reliable in different weather conditions and have less of a learning curve.

Hello and welcome from PA. Can't say I can answer your question for you, it's what you prefer and would rather shoot (unless a specific hunting season you are looking at). Here in PA, we have a flintlock only season after Christmas that I love hunting so I own/buy mostly flintlock. As stated, supplies do not seem to be as much an issue anymore so that shouldn't sway a decision. Cap can be a little more reliable (especially to a newbie), flints can last anywhere from 25 to 60 shots or more depending on the gun.

Welcome, from North Carolina! I only own caplocks (#11 and musket caps), but that is not to say that I wouldn’t own a flintlock. If caps are available, I think it is probably true that new folks may find them (#11 and musket caps) a little easier to use. Try both before you take the plunge and see which you like better.

Flintlock is more fun; cap is more reliable. You makes your priorities; you makes your choices. But why limit to one or the other?

Welcome from the Piedmont of North Carolina...I started with a flintlock in 1977, never looked back...For those that say caps are more reliable, I call BS...The trick is to get a quality gun, with a great lock, I started with a large Siler, the Kiblers and Chambers are good too...Match that with a White Lightning vent liner, positioned at the sunrise position and real black powder and a sharp flint and you are good to go...How many times do we have to coach people on here about how to clean a percussion gun and they end up with grease or oil in the drum and inconsistent ignition...

If you want cheap, go with percussion, if you are willing to buy quality, go with a flintlock...

I've gone through the learning curve with a Pedersoli patent breech caplock, with the failures to fire, hard loading with wonderlube patches, and all the other things some manufactures will have you believe that caused me enough grief that almost had me ready to give up on muzzleloading. I have learned a lot since then. Caplocks ain't bad, once you get past the early hiccups, but, I would much rather grab a flintlock when I walk out the door to do some shooting. Much simpler, and, I can attest for me, more reliable.

Latest posts

Back