• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap age help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know one is RWS (1075). Although the tin doesn't say 1075. Wondering how old they are? The red plastic one is Dixie Gun Works. I have seen some of the Dixie caps before. I believe they are from the 80's. But please correct me if I am wrong on the Dixie caps. The other question is, I have 27 of the Dixie and 10 of the RWS. Are they worth anything as collectors. I know folks collect the tins. The Dixie are plastic "tins".
20230512_190107.jpg

I have a tin (plastic?) of Navy Arms wingless musket caps that dates from about 1977, red plastic made in Italy. I don't place any value on "current vintage" (1970 & up) tins but I wouldn't throw them away.

I have caps from a tin like the second photo that I've had for over 50 years and they are still good. Just guessing but I don't think they are necessarily thought of as "collectables".

I still have caps from my ml shop in Indiana which I closed in 1976 to move to Arkansas. Some are in the red plastic container and still work just fine, others are Remingtons and others are Navy Arms. I do not hesitate to use any of them for what little cap gun shooting I do. However, I'll agree, flints keep much better for long term storage. 😉

Back in the early 70's I purchased some Navy Arms #11 caps and the compound was falling out most of the caps did not go off - trash:eek::doh:

Back