• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burst Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of many modern smokeless cartridge guns that have failed.
I remember an article I read once in a gun magazine titled "A grain to far". it detailed what can happen when reloaders load beyond maximum
even though they have no signs of high pressure.
KABOOM!

I can't say weather or not the gun originally came from Mississippi or not, I don't know the manufacture. On another forum, a poster identified the maker of the gun, stating that he is from TN. He also stated that the gun maker machined his own barrels. As to the type of steel used, I simply don't know.
When I originally posted this, I didn't intend for it to turn into a "pissing contest", was just trying to get some ideas as to what could have happened. The shooter is an old and dear friend of mine and I sold him the gun. I was at the time, and still extremely shook up over this. I am also extremely glad that my dear friend wasn't hurt in this incident. While it's true that over a year ago I double charged the gun, I had shot it probably over 100 times since before selling it, and I'm not sure how many times the shooter shot it afterwards. Knowing him, a lot. He is an avid and accomplished smooth bore shooter, you could almost say it's his passion. I am also sorry I didn't provide enough details. I posted very soon after seeing the gun. I was extremely shook up and a little bit sick to my stomach after seeing the gun and didn't ask any of the basic questions as to load and such.

laffindog said:
"Let's see... "I know the answer, but I want you to guess".

I did not say that, you did. Those are your words, not a quote from me. Re read my post and think before you type.
I was paraphrasing. You can play semantic games if you wish, but here's what I quoted in first post. In essence, you're telling us that you know the answer, but want us to keep guessing.

laffindog said:
I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened. I have kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin every one's fun. 5 pages of speculation and supposition and it ain't over with yet. Carry on.

laffindog said:
"Let's see... "I know the answer, but I want you to guess".

I did not say that, you did. Those are your words, not a quote from me.

Some have misinterpreted my post, sorry about that.
Perhaps I misunderstood as well. When you said the following, I took it at face value:

laffindog said:
I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened.
If you did in fact talk to the man, why are you reluctant to tell the members what happened?

Laffindog wrote "I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened. I have kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin every one's fun. 5 pages of speculation and supposition and it ain't over with yet. Carry on.

Hint: you are all wrong"

I must have misunderstood too. I took it to mean that allowing inaccurate speculation to continue was more important to you than helping with some actual, accurate information.

You appear to have cleared that up with a subsequent post and I thank you for that.

Also, let's all remember that the only entirely accurate information that can be gained in this type of situation will come from the barrel itself. The recollections of the shooter are probably accurate, but they might not be too.

I think that Zonie is an engineer, so maybe he could help on this, but I'm pretty sure that studying materials failure is a fairly specialized branch of engineering. That would be the ideal way to try to understand this incident.

You would have to know the entire history of the barrel. The failure is just the "result" of the sum of it's life if there was no "specific reason" at that instant in time that can be pointed to as the culprit.

.... A guy drives his car for a couple of years running over a few curbs on an occasional basis. During the coldest day of the second winter, -30 outside, he turns a corner and a ball joint snaps. Now maybe it was defective from mfg and maybe the cold contributed, or maybe smacking those curbs, although they caused no failure at the time did the real damage.

laffindog Said:

I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened.

If you did in fact talk to the man, why are you reluctant to tell the members what happened?

Agree.
This is a safety issue. That is why the discussion has been going on so long. We want to solve the mystery in the hopes of preventing a repeat and possible injury to others.
Please tell us everything you know about the incident. Keeping it a secret helps no one.

Back