• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Burst Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this barrel and know both the shooter and OP. Both experienced shooters. It was a round ball. The dark spot a few inches back from the muzzle looked like old rust to me. As mentioned a few posts ago, possibly an old short start minor crack or possibly just bad metal. There is also a small lengthwise crack from the rear of the barrel forward for maybe a half inch or so. Bad metal or too tight of a breech plug?

In that picture that shows the black stripe on the edge of the barrel, there looks to be a corresponding wave in the edge of the other part of the barrel.

Is there any new news on how this barrel was made? Machined or DOM, etc.?

Well...it's Time for me to chirp in...
The builder of this gun is Ernest Harrison in
Tennessee. He told me that he machines his barrels and makes his stocks from seasoned wood on his property. All this was straight from the makers mouth.... I have a .62 New England Fowler built and signed EH on the top barrel flat. Queen Anne L&R lock............just my two shillings...

Thanks. That clears up that it was a machined barrel. I am real curious about that black stripe shown on the edge of the split.

No dog in this fight and no idea as to the material the maker uses but a tubing pipe needs "machining" to be oct/round profiled as well, yes???

That's how I understand it James. I took his comment to mean that the entire barrel was machined and not DOM. Hmmmm :hmm:

that's how I took it also...I " assumed" it wasn't DOM....I see no seams when looking down the bore with a borelight...( on My fowler)

Sorry for my long silence on the matter. As to basic info, I'm not sure what charge/ball combo was used. I had originally bought the gun at Friendship a few years ago. I see now that someone has identified the builder. I was going to Friendship this summer and was going to try to find the gentleman who sold me the gun. The only "operator error" I had ever had with the gun was accidentally "double charging" it during a shoot a year ago January. I was recovering from a concussion as it was so I knocked myself out on my feet. I was running a .600 ball with pillow lubed ticking and 65 grains of fffg. Shot it a lot afterwards. I'm not sure what the gentleman was using as far as charge and ball but we generally use the same on our trade guns. As more info comes to light, I will pass it on. I do want to thank everyone for there thoughts and appreciation that my good friend was unhurt. I am just sick over this. Although I didn't build the gun, I sold it to him so feel some responsibility.

Claude said:
Crankyman said:
... I'm not sure what the gentleman was using as far as charge and ball ...
Forgive me if this was answered and I missed it, but have you not asked your friend what he loaded in the gun?

I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened. I have kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin every one's fun. 5 pages of speculation and supposition and it ain't over with yet. Carry on.

Hint: you are all wrong

laffindog said:
Claude said:
Crankyman said:
... I'm not sure what the gentleman was using as far as charge and ball ...
Forgive me if this was answered and I missed it, but have you not asked your friend what he loaded in the gun?

I have talked to the man personally. He told me exactly what happened. I have kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin every one's fun. 5 pages of speculation and supposition and it ain't over with yet. Carry on.

Hint: you are all wrong
Let's not forget that this web site is about sharing information.

Somehow a small kitchen sink must have been crammed down the bore, because on review that's about the only thing that has not been mentioned.

cold chisel thru the top of the barrel 12" from the muzzle is my guess if we are just speculating.

wher's the ram rod? :haha:

150gr FFFFg powder? :hmm:

a family of illegals were hiding down the barrel!!!! :rotf: :rotf:

Ooops - "illegals" might not be politically correct.

So that should be reworded to "visitors who may have entered under false pretenses and are currently awaiting documentation once amnesty is granted" :rotf:

Back