• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building concept.....Waiting for the turn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a musician's perspective, (mine) there's a great deal of cross-over between gun building and the practice of music. It can take hours and hours of practice to be able to play a musical selection. And ultimately, fatigue will set in. Further practice isn't going to get our musician anywhere. Best just to hang it up for a while...maybe an hour, maybe until tomorrow. This is especially true for singers. The voice and the body tire, Concentration flags.

I know the same feeling from building two guns. Concentration flags, Frustration sets in. That's when mistakes happen. It's also possible that's when injuries with sharp tools are likely to occur. Time to hang it up, go for a walk, make a ham sandwich, put the tools down and do something else. The turn might come when our hypothetical musician or gun builder is refreshed.
My buddy limits himself to one hour at a time. Goes to the shop with a specific task and sets to work. When finished, tired , or distracted he stops and walks away. Works for him.

From a musician's perspective, (mine) there's a great deal of cross-over between gun building and the practice of music. It can take hours and hours of practice to be able to play a musical selection. And ultimately, fatigue will set in. Further practice isn't going to get our musician anywhere. Best just to hang it up for a while...maybe an hour, maybe until tomorrow. This is especially true for singers. The voice and the body tire, Concentration flags.

I know the same feeling from building two guns. Concentration flags, Frustration sets in. That's when mistakes happen. It's also possible that's when injuries with sharp tools are likely to occur. Time to hang it up, go for a walk, make a ham sandwich, put the tools down and do something else. The turn might come when our hypothetical musician or gun builder is refreshed.
This really goes for just about any skill. (And I used to be a semi-professional musician too)
I appreciate it a lot to pistol students working on intermediate and advanced practical skills..... Don't practice mistakes. Of tired, having trouble focusing, or anything else is preventing each rep from being what it is supposed to be,,, STOP.
True of archery, shooting, learning an instrument, learning a crafting skill, or anything else that requires, dedication, patience, and developed skill.

I’m interested in what’s being shared but everyone is wired differently. If waiting for the turn means taking time to look and evaluate as the build progresses, I get it. If it means fighting impatience, I get that too. If it’s something else, I’m lost. It’s not a common phrase.
Mr. Pierce
I got the idea while I was filing that casting. I was considering ordering a better one, probably from Mr. Brooks.
There was a point that it was looking really bad but I kept at it. Then it got better. That was the “ turn”. I knew then it was a usable part.
I believe that many new/potential builders give up too soon. They don’t take the time to see it through. Some will call it done or good enough or as good as they can do before it turns. If they would have just kept at it. In short, they sell themselves and their project short.
Another thing about this is when the turn does not come. I believe that this is primarily lack of skill.
The solution is....gain the skill. If it’s not turning, pull back, find out why and gain the skill. It’s kind of a catch 22. Really the only way to gain the skill is to do it.
It’s about evaluating the build.
It’s about being patient.
It’s about keeping at it.
It’s about not giving up.
It’s about overcoming.
Sometimes it’s about pulling back, taking a break. Sometimes the turn happens then.
( May dad was working on an old Ford. He was reinstalling the transmission. The input shaft would not line up with the clutch. Hours and hours under that old car....He had enough and went to bed...When he got back under the old car the next morning, the engine and transmission were mated. Overnight they slid together.)

I have rediscovered my weak point of gun building. It’s the more mundane stuff like drilling holes. Honestly I would probably do better with a brace and bit or a brace and spade bit for metal. Give me a power drill, watch out!
This is an area I take lightly but know I definitely need improvement.

I guess I’ll close the post with this....
My old fire chief said this....
It’s not about the mistakes you make, it’s the recovery.

22C9D582-73AC-4C74-8BE4-6C3438961DF7.jpeg
BBB4D6F2-7971-46AF-BFC8-679DBA605A7E.jpeg

I glued in a dowel and fixed the stock. Easy Peasy.
If you notice all the little square pieces of wood on the floor, that’s from cutting the stock for the BP. I don’t have a band saw.
It’s a lot of work but cut to the line, cut the cuts out, clean up with a rasp.
5DE5718B-EFD0-4DEB-8EE9-BF86151AD9E2.jpeg

Buttplate and screws will need more work but that’s for later.
64B9923F-D0EF-4F2F-9582-A549FCCB82AB.jpeg
79E7982C-E311-4799-9AC7-D3F47B93CAC1.jpeg

I almost had another disaster.
I had the BP plate secured by the top screw. I spotted for the bottom screw.
Then like a dummy I went ahead and drilled. Of course the bit grabbed the brass as it was passing through. Before I could let off the toe end of the plate flips up. It bent at the heel extension. That joker was nearly perfectly Inlet too.
I straitened it and bent it back into shape on the vise.
Moral ......
Don’t drill stuff like a BP on the gun, use a drill press or vise.

It’s not about the mistakes you make, it’s the recovery.

Attachments

• 02B1BF17-DC34-4F95-B080-FBC0F847085E.jpeg
    02B1BF17-DC34-4F95-B080-FBC0F847085E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I think anyone who is always building guns pretty much has a plan and knows how to execute it. They have a vision and know how to get from here to there. If a person builds one a year then a lot less is automatic.
Rich,
Yes, I totally agree.
I started this with the new builder in mind. That’s pretty much what I am. A new builder but with a few years of experience.
I see many finished guns posted by newer builders. Many of these are done well but they were finished too soon.

There’s one posted right now that is executed really well. It’s a decent gun but it could really be a great gun with about 3 days or a few weekends worth of rasp and finish work.

I think a lot of new guys finish them up too soon.

Too I share my mistakes. I think that’s important to share mistakes and how they are dealt with and overcome.

Gun building is hard for me sometimes. It’s been a few years. I remember now why I stopped. It causes migraines from a head injury. The magnification, on and off and differential positions make me sick at times.
I’m reminded of that and I have to be careful.
I love it so though, taking something rough and making it beautiful.

The jest of this thread is for fellows to keep at it and don’t finish it or give it up too soon.

E5A08835-E84A-471E-93EC-DB949692F23A.jpeg

I have brought the top of the side panel down to follow the side flat.
I have spotted, drilled, and tapped my lock nails/ bolts.
There’s a lot of layout for this to spot the bolts. If any want me to explain more, let me know.
Now I’m doing the side plate. In the photo above it needs refinement.
76EA31BD-5B20-4231-A06B-2E98214D15D9.jpeg

It’s getting there. I missed just a tad bit on the front (nose) bolt. That side plate 32nd forward would be much better.
It still need some shaping around the top bolt.
Then I can inlet the plate and cut the lock nails to their proper length.
188573FE-8E86-4F5D-A5D3-BFA3D9FDC02A.jpeg

Take note at how the top of the side panels line up with the top of the side flat.
I did have some concerns with the flow of my side plate with the rear point. It’s a non issue.
653B77E3-C080-4528-B7CF-82D79755B560.jpeg

Above is my Gillespie. Notice how the top of the side panel continues the line of the barrel side flat.
I need to bring down the top panel line of the new rifle just a little more but that can wait until I shape the panels after the triggers are in.
I may do that swoop where the front top of the panel dips down and reveals 3/4 or more of the barrel side flat.
OK Another issue.....
The rear lock bolt and it’s relationship to the breech plug....
Notice the stock is cracked through the lock bolt area. This could be from many things, mainly that it’s such a light rifle with a heavy bore. It’s possible that recoil and breech contact caused the crack or maybe being a little too rough with loading and wiping.
Anyway for this new rifle I have make sure that there is good clearance through the breech lug for the rear lock bolt. Right now the breech tang is just oh so slightly proud after installing the rear bolt. I have some more fitting to do. More file work on that clearance hole/ notch.
I’ll probably have to revisit the fit here after the triggers and tang bolt are installed.

Latest posts

Back