• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Tennessee Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billraby

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I started on a new project. This one is a Tennessee rifle. It is being built from a plank and using plans from Track of the Wolf. Just for for fun, I am making a series of videos of building it. I am explaining what I am doing every step along the way. Hopefully it will be helpful to those of you who are new to this or thinking about giving it a try. I am not a gun building expert so don't think of this as the right way or the best way to do things. It is just me building a gun and talking too much. I don't have any schedule on when the videos will be coming out. The gun is not finished yet so I will post new videos to You Tube as I get them done. I am anxious for hear any comments that you might have.

Here is Part 1. Showing all the parts, explaining what they and how they go together, and getting started.

https://youtu.be/LOwPYfZIOhM

I didn't realize TOW sold just plans for a rifle . . I am considering building a southern style from a blank. This is helpful and I will definitely check your video too. Thanks

I built this one from the Track Tn rifle plans;

GaFEVdp.jpg

Thanks tenngun. Here is Part 3 for everyone else

https://youtu.be/o8AWZSNdahU

That's a very nice rifle Eric . . . . It looks like you may have used the L&R Durs Egg lock like TOW does . . . I love the looks of that flint lock, the hammer has a very nice curve.

Here is Part 4. Getting started on inletting the barrel.

Just watched it. I never have Inlet a swamped barrel. All my half rounds had channels already inlet. Or I had straight barrels. I often have puzzled how to do it... oh the horror you have inspired me, got the wheels a turning. How ever I would have to explain to my wife why I needed anothe gun. Or as my wife would say ‘Another Gun’
Put me in mind of the saint who said give me chastity, but not yet’

Just watched it. I never have Inlet a swamped barrel. All my half rounds had channels already inlet. Or I had straight barrels. I often have puzzled how to do it... oh the horror you have inspired me, got the wheels a turning. How ever I would have to explain to my wife why I needed anothe gun. Or as my wife would say ‘Another Gun’
Put me in mind of the saint who said give me chastity, but not yet’

There is nothing hard at all about inletting a swamped barrel. I only used 3 or 4 different chisels. Just pay attention and go slow and it is pretty easy. And realize that it will take a while. Don't even think of power tools until after you have done a few of them.

Here is the trick to dealing with the wife. Explain that you don't actually want another gun. You just want to build one and sell it when its done. That is what I will be doing with this one. If you just can't let it go, make the price so high that nobody wants to buy it. Then you will be stuck with it. Oh no!!!

another enjoyable half hour. My project on the way is a smooth rifle... but I love themSMRs. Infact my piggy bank already has a dollar or two, just might go with a swamped.

Latest posts

Back