• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffered loads ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
David from OKC I just joined and was looking for help. New to flintlocks. I have a new Davide Pendersol frontier in 50cal that chews up patches store bought pre lubed with 490 RB’s I emailed DP and they said rifling is sharp when new so shoot it 100 rounds to break in or try buffered loads. Got maybe 30 shots in it so far and have tried buffeted loads with cornmeal. Any thot from you more experienced shooters out there ? Thanks. Oh I also have a Dixie Mtn in 32 that shoots great 😃

Welcome from Upstate NY.

This is the sub-forum for welcomes. You'll get better responses posting in General Muzzleloading. Not sure what they mean by "buffered loads". To me that means some media in with the shot pellets to reduce deformation. You don't have to use corn-meal. That's to fill up a chamber for cartridge arms. Patience. Your rifling is only crisp once. Don't use a mechanical (scrunge pad, steel wool, abrasives, etc.). Eventually the act of loading and shooting will wear it in.

Welcome. You might try a lubed felt wad between powder and patch (it may be what DP meant). It would protect the bottom of the patch and help prevent any blow-by from torn patch in the bore.

Welcome from the coast of North Carolina from a fellow Chief(HMC FMF)!
What BoomStick said is a great idea. Even after many years my 58 Hawken still shoots better with a lubed felt wad under the bullet.

After the barrel has been cleaned try cleaning the barrel again with JB Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning compound to smooth out rough sharp edges.
Put some JB on over powder felt wads and on the patches.
Use OP felt wads so even if your patches get cut accuracy will be good.
The wads also protect against patch burn through.
The wad will ensure your ball if under sized will get rotated by the rifling.

Latest posts

Back