• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there an issue pulling a RB that is not a tight fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pulled a few RBs durring my 50+ years of shooting, but all done with RBs in rifled barrels, that are snug a fit.
I am building a 20 guage smoothie and after some thought and conversation decided to start (I say start) with .600 RB and .010 patch. A member on here said his smoothie likes the aforementioned combo.
I have tried a dry run in the barrel (no powder) and it seems like that willl be a very good field re-load combo. Meaning no hassle and no starter. Now, I wondered if anyone has ever experienced trying to insert a screw type ball puller in a RB that may spin durring the insertion process? If that is, or could be an issue, what is the alternitive besides CO2 or compressed air?
Just wondering before it could happen. Shi_ does happen. 😂
Larry

I have never had a problem pulling a RB from a smooth bore, in fact they came out easier than a rifle barrel.

Get a TOTW .62 ball puller, they are the best I've used in 50 years of pulling balls from muzzelloaders. Never had a ball I could not pull yet, knock on wood. Make sure you have a ramrod with pinned ends, no problems.

The ball pullers I seen sold have huge screws so I make my own with very skinny wood screws. They do not enlarge the ball as much.

I have contemplated making my own as well. So far I just poke a little priming powder thru the touch hole and PUFF it comes skittering out.

My intent is to move away from patched RB in my smoothbores due to that concern. Didn't make the time to get loads worked up this year but plan on switching over to either felt wads or a combo of felt and corn meal. In theory should be easier to remove should the need arise.
Can't remember who it was but someone on here was posting jaw dropping groups out of a .58 smoothbore with cornmeal and lubed felt.
I've owned quite a few smoothbore fowlers in my day, it took me a while to get the hang of getting them to shoot accurately, mostly the trick is in the load, all of my trade guns and fusils have been customs except for the two that I own now, both are semi custom Center Mark .20 ga. Fusil de Chasse French smoothbores and about as close to originals as one can get, they were in use through the second half of the 1600's and well up into the 1800's, they were widely popular with the French Trappers and most of the natives of the northern parts of the American Colonies and New France.
I do shoot shot out of them, but mostly I shoot patched round ball out of them for fun and on woods walks and line shoots, my pet load was given to me by an old graybeard who lived on the Preist River in Idaho, all he used to shoot with year round for hunting a fun was a custom build north west trade gun in .20 ga..
The load consists of powder, card wad, fiber cushion wad, a .600 dia. round ball patched with a thin lubed cotton cleaning patch, the card and fiber wads offer just the right amount of pressure to insure good velocity, a clean burn, and good stability for consistent accuracy, it also just about eliminates the possibility of "dry balling" and having to pull a ball.
However, the ball only needs to be held centered in the bore, it doesn't need to be as tight a fit as would be needed in a rifled bore, so if ever it had to be pulled it would slide out easily, I would opt for a bit of priming powder through the touch hole on a flintlock or under the nipple on a percussion lock, in my opinion it's simpler and works every time.
But don't deprive yourself of having the option of shooting patched round balls out of your smoothbore long guns, it's great fun and a valuable hunting tool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back