• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advantages/Disadvantages of 3f with Shot???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are the King of cheap shots and rude comments! It's too bad because you are one of the most knowledgeable people on her. You are close to being asked to take a long vacation.
Nit Wit
It's been since jan 2nd since the last post on this thread and you're just bringing it up now and making personal threats? . :dunno: How rude!
If you're footing the bill for my vacation let me know. I prefer Belize this time of year.:thumb:

Last edited:
28 grams to an ounce
Ok then - so a BP Proof load for 12 gauge was about 2 1/8-ounce by volume of shot and powder, 2-ounce of each for the 16 gauge and about 1 7/8-ounce of each for 20 gauge using bulk fine powder. Thereby, a "normal" load would have been 1 1/16-ounce volume powder and shot for 12, 1-ounce for 16 and 7/8-ounce for 20. That makes sense to me.

In revisiting this, I did learn something from the proof house. First, they no longer proof or re-proof black powder muzzleloading arms. You can get a black powder cartridge gun proofed but that is not relevant here. Next, a lot of muzzleloading arms were pre-proof house and were never proofed. Some that were, were done with the same method. They said historically, with muzzleloader shotguns they used "twice the standard load of powder and shot relative to bore, the powder being a bulk fine grade powder". Specifically, they said for a 12-gauge the powder and shot would be 61 grams each. 16-gauge would be 57 grams each, 20-gauge is 50 grams. I'm not sure how to convert the grams but I think this is essentially a double dose of powder and shot. When I pressed about powder granulation and talked about 2F, 3F, etc. I was told powder was not always labeled and marketed like that when black powder muzzleloader proofing was going on, and that bulk powder was graded as Fine or Course, Fine being used at the Proof House.
15.43236 grain weight per gram.

IMG_5527.jpeg
IMG_5534.jpeg
IMG_5794.jpeg

3F works great for me

T
My load after lots of work and paper in a 24 gauge .579 bore 45 grains of 2 f 45 grains of cornmeal 7/8 to 1 oz of shot in a paper shot cup ( 3 wraps of news paper ) and something to hold it in - wasp nest paper wad or thin wad this works for me profs in the pudding.
That pattern is so great out of a 26" barrel ....only because the way I ground the flats on the barrel at the breech !!! :D

That's a great patterning gun, I assume it's a 24ga. I have had guns that shot 3f well in the past. They also often shot 2f just as well. I often shot 3f for skeet, I always felt the ignition was a little faster. probably my imagination. I'm talking flint guns here, not cappers.
These small guage guns are interesting. I had a 28ga gun with a 48" barrels that shot like it had a full choke. Great for squirrels, but sucked for wing shooting, the pattern was a long string instead of a "ball" or sphere.
I had an original flint English SXS in 18 bore that shot exceptionally well with loads as small as 55gr powder and 5/8oz shot. It would smoke clays. I came to the conclusion it was the chambered breeches that made it work so well. I have never owned another flint shotgun with a chambered breech so was never able to test my guess.

That's a great patterning gun, I assume it's a 24ga. I have had guns that shot 3f well in the past. They also often shot 2f just as well. I often shot 3f for skeet, I always felt the ignition was a little faster. probably my imagination. I'm talking flint guns here, not cappers.
These small guage guns are interesting. I had a 28ga gun with a 48" barrels that shot like it had a full choke. Great for squirrels, but sucked for wing shooting, the pattern was a long string instead of a "ball" or sphere.
I had an original flint English SXS in 18 bore that shot exceptionally well with loads as small as 55gr powder and 5/8oz shot. It would smoke clays. I came to the conclusion it was the chambered breeches that made it work so well. I have never owned another flint shotgun with a chambered breech so was never able to test my guess.
Yes, Kibler .58 at 25 yards. Jug choked. I went through quite a few loads before settling on this. There were a few others acceptable. I think if I was to upland hunt, I’d go for a bigger bore for easier swing

Yeah I see lots of paper there and seems to be what it takes if you wanna
be sure of what’s happening on the business end of things .👍
I THINK (I’ll have to look back at the notes) the sheet was 14x14”. It would rival some unmentionables for a modified choke at that range

Latest posts

Back