• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there an issue pulling a RB that is not a tight fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have pulled a few RBs durring my 50+ years of shooting, but all done with RBs in rifled barrels, that are snug a fit.
I am building a 20 guage smoothie and after some thought and conversation decided to start (I say start) with .600 RB and .010 patch. A member on here said his smoothie likes the aforementioned combo.
I have tried a dry run in the barrel (no powder) and it seems like that willl be a very good field re-load combo. Meaning no hassle and no starter. Now, I wondered if anyone has ever experienced trying to insert a screw type ball puller in a RB that may spin durring the insertion process? If that is, or could be an issue, what is the alternitive besides CO2 or compressed air?
Just wondering before it could happen. Shi_ does happen. 😂
Larry

My intent is to move away from patched RB in my smoothbores due to that concern. Didn't make the time to get loads worked up this year but plan on switching over to either felt wads or a combo of felt and corn meal. In theory should be easier to remove should the need arise.
Can't remember who it was but someone on here was posting jaw dropping groups out of a .58 smoothbore with cornmeal and lubed felt.

I would also carry a CO2 ball discharger just in case the ball screw did not work. I would not like to be on a hunt of a lifetime and not be able to pull a ball if I needed to:thumb:.

One time I shoved a thin over powder wad down my fowler barrel before I put in the powder (senior moment), there is no way to get this kind of thing out with a puller. I find I can unbreech a barrel and get stuff out faster than I can remove a really stuck ball with a puller.
Eric,
Wish I had a buck for all my senior moments!! 😂 I am a little surprised a seasoned shooter like you would not have used a worm.
Larry

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 9.12.28 AM.png

Larry

My intent is to move away from patched RB in my smoothbores due to that concern. Didn't make the time to get loads worked up this year but plan on switching over to either felt wads or a combo of felt and corn meal. In theory should be easier to remove should the need arise.
Can't remember who it was but someone on here was posting jaw dropping groups out of a .58 smoothbore with cornmeal and lubed felt.
I find a larger ball works best with a bare ball load. I use a .600 in my .62, some even go to a .610. That won’t fall of its own weight down the bore.
How do you get it out in that case?
I would fear it still being stuck after I pulled the top wad
Of course I never forget my powder…. Well almost never…well very rare…. Ummmm😂

I have a Caywood 20 gauge Type C/D (only one in existence) that I use a .600 ball and a .010 spit patch and have only needed to pull a ball once during a woods walk at Fort de Chartres.

Out of a group of shooters they would pick one lucky guy and blindfold him and have him pull a ball to simulate doing it at night, I was the lucky guy. Fortunately, I knew where the ball puller was at in my shooting pouch and it went without a hitch. So I guess I would not worry to much about the ball spinning myself.

It doesn't take much of a tap of the ram rod and ball puller to upset the soft lead ball enough for the ball puller to work.

Perhaps at the same Woods Walk at Fort de Chartres, the lucky guy who had to remove the ball used quite undersized balls in his smooth bore for rapid reloading. All he had to do was point the muzzle at the ground and out came the ball.

It would appear I was overthinking this potential situation with a smoothbore. Suppose now I just need to try the cornmeal loads to see if there is any or enough gain to make the added hassle worth it.

flint or percussion?
percussion, pull the nipple and pack as much fffg as possible. doesn't take much to push out a loose ball.
same with flint, if you have a liner, pull it and pack. if no liner i have used my vent pick to pack enough into the chamber/barrel.
don't ask how i know this works:doh:

The one that I had been wondering about this on is a flint without an easily removeable liner. It groups best with a ball and patch combo that can be started with my thumb. Also why I was planning on trying various loose ball loads.

Latest posts

Back