• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Small Parts or Not on Mountain Rifle (Just posted some put together pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am browning a CVA mountain rifle. The barrel, rib, butt plate, and trigger guard all turned a really nice plum brown. The sight and under ram rod guides turned a darker color. I have read that on a lot of the browned rifle they didn't brown the small parts. Left them blued or silver. Not sure if I should redo the rear sight and ram rod guides or leave as is. I didn't do the barrel lugs and screws. What do you think? Attached some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN0074.JPG
    DSCN0074.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0080.JPG
    DSCN0080.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0079.JPG
    DSCN0079.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0075.JPG
    DSCN0075.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0081.JPG
    DSCN0081.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 101
For me ,I would use them as they are now. I just re browned a mt. rifle last spring. Once on and you are using the rifle,you will cease to notice it any more. If anything the brown will tend to even out.It has for me. One thing I did have to do was thicken the brass front sight blade. My old eyes could not see it well at all. What solution did you use?

I would want my rear sight as dark as possible as for the other parts the metal they are made of probably aren’t the same as the barrel. How the surface finish is done can make a difference as well. You may need to use a different chemical to get the colors to match.

You did a great job browning everything. The rod ferrels look fine and won't take away from the excellent browning of the barrel.
Thanks. The barrel, trigger guard, and rib came out perfect. But plate not quite as good but as another responder said I am sure the metal is different. Seems more like a nickle steel to me. For a first attempt at browning I am happy with it. Learned through trial and error. Next time I will be steps ahead on the learning curve.

Even assuming a gunsmith, back in the day was applying "browning" solution to a gun and it's parts the shade of brown would be different from part to part depending on what material the different parts were made from.
Agree. I have noticed what I believe to be different metal on it. The butt plate looks like nickle steel to me. The rod ferrels are different than the barrel also.

I would want my rear sight as dark as possible as for the other parts the metal they are made of probably aren’t the same as the barrel. How the surface finish is done can make a difference as well. You may need to use a different chemical to get the colors to match.
I thought about hot browning the small parts. I think I will assemble it and see what I think. May be fine as is.

Well I put it together to see what I think and I may just leave it like it is. Vast improvement over what it was like when I bought it. The barrel was rusty and the stock was dented and dinged with patches of finish gone. Was really light colored wood. Sanded it down and stained it with American walnut and then coats of boiled linseed oil. There is a little difference in the rod ferrels but that gives it some accent like the escutcheons. I have a new hickory ramrod from TOTW that I haven't cut to length and stained yet. What do you think? Leave it as is?

Attachments

• DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0083.JPG
    DSCN0083.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0084.JPG
    DSCN0084.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0085.JPG
    DSCN0085.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN0082.JPG
    DSCN0082.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 89
Like it came out nice. I have just finished a Big bore 54 can't wait to get it out to the range. Nice work.👍

Like it came out nice. I have just finished a Big bore 54 can't wait to get it out to the range. Nice work.👍
Thanks. Can't wait to get out and shoot also. Been cold, high winds, rain, and snow here. Miserable spring so far. Supposed to get nice Friday.

Thanks. The barrel, trigger guard, and rib came out perfect. But plate not quite as good but as another responder said I am sure the metal is different. Seems more like a nickle steel to me. For a first attempt at browning I am happy with it. Learned through trial and error. Next time I will be steps ahead on the learning curve.
Butt plates are made to be abused. The toe and comb area will quickly be worn away. And the belly will get scuffed.
it’s your gun and you want the most perfect you can achieve. Personally I wouldn’t care. Few of my browned guns didn’t have shading differences.
Few old guns are all the same.

Well I put it together to see what I think and I may just leave it like it is. Vast improvement over what it was like when I bought it. The barrel was rusty and the stock was dented and dinged with patches of finish gone. Was really light colored wood. Sanded it down and stained it with American walnut and then coats of boiled linseed oil. There is a little difference in the rod ferrels but that gives it some accent like the escutcheons. I have a new hickory ramrod from TOTW that I haven't cut to length and stained yet. What do you think? Leave it as is?
it is a great job of browning! that is a beautiful plumb color! brown VRS, blue, I like brown!.

One reason the rear sight was slightly different is that the sights are heat treated and tempered so they have some spring in them to keep tension on the adjustment screw. I never would Brown a spring. Everything else though. Depending on where you live you can let the humidity natural brown. Gun parts. It takes longer but I think it is a better finish

I am browning a CVA mountain rifle. The barrel, rib, butt plate, and trigger guard all turned a really nice plum brown. The sight and under ram rod guides turned a darker color. I have read that on a lot of the browned rifle they didn't brown the small parts. Left them blued or silver. Not sure if I should redo the rear sight and ram rod guides or leave as is. I didn't do the barrel lugs and screws. What do you think? Attached some pictures.
Looks great! What browning brand and procedure did you use?

Latest posts

Back