• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure somewhere this has already been covered but would someone please advise as to what size leather punch I would need to punch leather wads for my Pedersoli Brown Bess .75 cal? I just purchased a .735 round ball mold from Lyman now I want to punch my own leather wads. I thought of a 3/4 inch punch but that may be just to simple !
Thanks for your help !

Those Ped. BBs can vary in bore size. You must mic your bore to know what size you need. Easier, and maybe even cheaper, than punching your own would be to buy wads. Flintlocks, Inc. has trial packs to assure you get the best size for your firelock before buying a bunch.

I use 11 gauge wads from Circle Fly when loading wads in my Pedersoli Brown Bess. I use the same wads loading all-brass black powder shot shells so it is handy to have only one size. I tried 10 gauge wads and they were way too big to load easily.

blkpowdermike said:
.790 just seems too large dia. ??
Wads will be a bit larger dia. than the bore so as to make a seal and not fall out of the barrel from their own weight, the weight of the powder or the weight of the shot.

Toomuch said:
blkpowdermike said:
.790 just seems too large dia. ??
Wads will be a bit larger dia. than the bore so as to make a seal and not fall out of the barrel from their own weight, the weight of the powder or the weight of the shot.

Agreed. If the wads are a tight fit, they'll also "scape" fouling from the previous shot as you seat them, helping cut down on fouling from the previous shot.

Have you considered making your own punch? My Ped Bess is an old one with the bore right at .750 and maybe a tad under. Had a metal-smart friend locate a hunk of thin wall stainless pipe for me, and I sharpened the edges of one end, mounted the other into a 2x2 oak block. Rap the oak with a wooden mallet, and it will even cut through 9-10 oz saddle skirting. In my particular Bess, that punch is just the right size.

You could make 3/4" i.d. heavy-wall pipe "larger" if you sharpened and tapered the inside first to get just the right diameter, then worked the outside to thin and sharpen. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

curator said:
I use 11 gauge wads from Circle Fly when loading wads in my Pedersoli Brown Bess. I use the same wads loading all-brass black powder shot shells so it is handy to have only one size. I tried 10 gauge wads and they were way too big to load easily.

That's what mine uses also.

curator said:

In the 70's when I shot my old Brown Bess carbine in competition, I also used 11 gauge Wads and Cards and they fit my .753" bore very nicely.

Gus

Glad to have run across this thread. Using tow or little cartridges with shot in them didn't work out too well last hunting season. I'll tinker around with some 11 gauge wads

TOTW and others recommend a wad about 0.02" larger than bore diameter to compress enough to seal. The only way to be positive is to measure the bore and I'd recommend doing it twice just to be sure. TOTW is good about talking to you about any problem. They carry wads for all bore sizes from 4 gauge down below 20 gauge. Check their list and find the size closest to 0.02" over your bore size and you'll know what size wad or punch you'll need.

Back