• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BOY IS IT STUCK!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others are more knowledgeable than I am but if all you shoot is a patched round ball- the only fouling in the barrel ought to be burnt fouling of the black powder- easily removed with hot soapy water.
I have learned that about every time we deviate from the original methods- bad things happen.
A friend years ago went elk hunting in Colorado with a 50 caliber. He dug out and saved the ball which had flattened ought about like a quarter. Imagine that going through the lungs of an elk. It only ran a few yards. Nothing wrong with a round ball.

Others are more knowledgeable than I am but if all you shoot is a patched round ball- the only fouling in the barrel ought to be burnt fouling of the black powder- easily removed with hot soapy water.
I have learned that about every time we deviate from the original methods- bad things happen.
A friend years ago went elk hunting in Colorado with a 50 caliber. He dug out and saved the ball which had flattened ought about like a quarter. Imagine that going through the lungs of an elk. It only ran a few yards. Nothing wrong with a round ball.
:thumb:

Very true. Hardened crud rings come from using citrus-based substitutes.
Knowing that, when using subs, swab between shots. There is some belief
that the lube left in the bore contributes to crud if the wrong type.

It's been out since post 6. Are we trying for a new record of useless posts?
Well, my post was #13. I must have missed something in the forum rules. You must feel post that are irrelative in your minds eye must be burning up forum bandwidth. Therefore your post just added to it.

I don't find them irrelevant. I said that hot soapy water will remove the fouling but I should have also mentioned that a scraper ought to be used for the breech plug and if the beech plug is coned- you'll need a scraper to match. A lot of oils turn into a brown gunk- before shooting clean the oil out of the bore with a few patches of rubbing alcohol.

None of my rifles has never had a brush run down the bore. My Ithaca Hawkin shoots the same as it did in 1985 , the year I bought it. If a rifle has been neglected a brush maybe warrented but with proper cleaning after use I think using a brush on a rifle is a waste of energy?

. . . . . .My Ithaca Hawkin shoots the same as it did in 1985 , the year I bought it. . . . . .

Over the years, I’ve heard a little about the Ithaca Hawken, but never saw/handled one “in the flesh”!

Who actually made the Ithaca version and, can you post a picture?

Thanx-a-bunch.

Getting back to the subject of bore brushes, I don't know when they were first invented, but I just found these on the web today:

Spencer Brush Set.jpg

Rifle Brushes.jpg

These are Army-issue bore brushes for the Spencer, Sharps, Ward-Burton, and early Springfield carbines, shown on the McPheeters Antique Militaria website. These would date from the 1861-1872 period, according to the seller, who also stated the brushes are of "natural bristle." I'm assuming this would mean hog bristles, as noted in my earlier post.

I understand that the guns mentioned are all breechloading carbines, but the timeframe overlaps the muzzleloading period, and we're talking about brushes, not guns.

Anyway, these were evidently issued in sets including a brush, a rod with a threaded fitting on the end, and a thong with a threaded fitting. The thong was intended to be carried in a saddlebag for use in the field, while the rod could be used for cleaning the weapon back at the barracks.

In any event, it shows that bore brushes were known at least as early as the 1860's. I didn't know that.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Over the years, I’ve heard a little about the Ithaca Hawken, but never saw/handled one “in the flesh”!

Who actually made the Ithaca version and, can you post a picture?

Thanx-a-bunch.
"Ithaca arms" made the first but it bought out a company that was making them, I am not sure but "Cherry Corners" comes to mind, don't quote me on that. Ithaca then farmed the job out to "Uberti " . I bought the last two rifles made by ,"Uberti". I can't recall who makes this rifle now. As far as pictures I am not able to send pictures. I am a Neantherthal when it comes to computers.

Getting back to the subject of bore brushes, I don't know when they were first invented, but I just found these on the web today:

View attachment 107848

View attachment 107849

These are Army-issue bore brushes for the Spencer, Sharps, Ward-Burton, and early Springfield carbines, shown on the McPheeters Antique Militaria website. These would date from the 1861-1872 period, according to the seller, who also stated the brushes are of "natural bristle." I'm assuming this would mean hog bristles, as noted in my earlier post.

I understand that the guns mentioned are all breechloading carbines, but the timeframe overlaps the muzzleloading period, and we're talking about brushes, not guns.

Anyway, these were evidently issued in sets including a brush, a rod with a threaded fitting on the end, and a thong with a threaded fitting. Thong was intended to be carried in a saddlebag for use in the field, while the rod could be used for cleaning the weapon back at the barracks.

In any event, it shows that bore brushes were known at least as early as the 1860's. I didn't know that.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
THanks for the info Notchy, pretty interesting. :thumb:

View attachment 107848

View attachment 107849

Anyway, these were evidently issued in sets including a brush, a rod with a threaded fitting on the end, and a thong with a threaded fitting. The thong was intended to be carried in a saddlebag for use in the field, while the rod could be used for cleaning the weapon back at the barracks.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Pig or hog bristles are excellent for making bore brushes . Depending on the part of the bristles used , Tip , middle , butt , varying stiffness can be obtained , they are flexible and have little pores in them which hold oils , this is why they also make the best hair and paint brushes . They are resistant to the various chemicals used in solvents . I have never seen them in all the bits and pieces found in the cases of double ML shotguns . Various oilers ,bottles, jags , scrapers and cleaning rods but no bore brushes

Brushes became important when velocities climbed. With more pressure and
velocity the lead and jacketing can strip off on the rifling cuts. The brushes remove
and loosen this better than a patch.

Brushes became important when velocities climbed. With more pressure and
velocity the lead and jacketing can strip off on the rifling cuts. The brushes remove
and loosen this better than a patch.
True , That was a reason the Whitworth rifling was so effective . The old time African Elephant hunters used to harden their bullets' with mercury to stop stripping and help penetration

Latest posts

Back