• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Seasoning" the bore...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bore butter (at least used to) also state it was great for seasoning the bore. It is only used as a patch lube in this household and then only for a single rifle, a .36 CVA bobcat that will ONLY and mean ONLY shoot a group with bore butter saturating a ridculuosly thin patch. 15 years plus to find this rifles preferred and only load. Came real close to getting a trip to Hoyts for reboring to .375 so I could shoot my 1851 balls. May still do it, it would be very cool and still really be a .36?
Cooler still would be squezze a bear ,(I shoot mine) but the end result is the same (Bear oil) works on a bore/wood/patch/and donuts/baking so you can throw away Bore butter ! Heard it tastes like manure anyway /Ed

Please don't pick on us that choose not to be traditional in the choice of our rifles or how we use them. I hope you are living in a teepee or a brush Hogan, burning Buffalo chips, and if you are, more power to you, just be careful of the fringe element. Remember, not to use anything synthetic and that includes cookware, clothes, and footwear while you're observing all the rules of being a traditionalist. I do hope you cast your own balls , but you can only do so over the wood fire at night with some Nutcracker type tool. Being traditional, for most front stuffers, ends right at the end of that primitive camp that so many enjoy for three days during the summer. Those of us that consider those rifles just another challenge probably don't go to the primitive site, the equipment we use is really no better, why we might even have seasoned barrels. My favorite muzzle loader has a fiberglass stock, takes me just as long to load, shoot, and reload as it does you. I do consider my muzzle loader that only weighs 5 and three quarter pounds a plus for me as I can hold it off hand.
Squint

Latest posts

Back