• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt barrel work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sent him a 15/16 bbl that was a 50 cal t/c ..having it made into a 530..smoothbore.I Couldnt get ahold of this other guy i use that bobby knows..RUNNING machine shops bury the phone ring

I include the as cast bullet/or sized so he knows what that barrel will be dedicated to and usage , paper patched/greaser /RB along with a note (thoughts) on twist./Ed

Talking with him on the phone you just hit it right off, and chat each other right up nice guy. Told him everything, its prime goal is a fat elk, 1-60 for RB, best to call early am about 9 his time EST, before he gets everything up and running.Plus I put a letter and the check in the box.Followed by a call.

I sent a barrel to him last week. Sent it to his old address but fortunately he got it anyway. His address as is:
2379 Mt. Hope Road
Fairfield, PA. 17320-9759
Phone is (717) 642-6696
His old address still floats around on current posts but this is new one

This has me nervous, did you do anything to get it to the new address or was is taken care of on the receiving end?

I just got an 1871.50-70 rolling block back from Bobby. Someone had freshed out the groove depth from .515 to .524. A bullet fat enough to shoot well wouldn't fit in the case. Smaller bullets didn't shoot very well. He relined back to armory spec and now it's a tack driver.

I talked to Bobby a couple of days ago. He has about 200 barrels there to do whether it be rebores or relines, and another 100 to make. Realize that he is 73, has had both knees replaced, and has one young helper.....

Ed Rayl is doing only limited work, getting older. Getz has medical issues despite being 15 years younger than these guys, so not an option.

Is ANYONE else doing this kind of work?

Last edited:
I sent my New Englander barrel to him a few weeks ago. He told me the delivery time might be as much as 6 months. However, he said that once he sets up his machine to a particular type of barrel he would do all of them that he had waiting. So, I might get it back early, or it might be 6 months. The barrel was pitted, so I asked him to reline it back to.50 cal with a conical twist.

I sent my New Englander barrel to him a few weeks ago. He told me the delivery time might be as much as 6 months. However, he said that once he sets up his machine to a particular type of barrel he would do all of them that he had waiting. So, I might get it back early, or it might be 6 months. The barrel was pitted, so I asked him to reline it back to.50 cal with a conical twist.
Does he have to have the hardware off of the barrel to rebore it? I can take it off but won't if not needed.Got a TC ready to send to him,but forgot to ask him about that.Don't want to make that Pain in the butt call again LOL!

Does he have to have the hardware off of the barrel to rebore it? I can take it off but won't if not needed.Got a TC ready to send to him,but forgot to ask him about that.Don't want to make that Pain in the butt call again LOL!

The barrel should be stripped.

I just got an 1871.50-70 rolling block back from Bobby. Someone had freshed out the groove depth from .515 to .524. A bullet fat enough to shoot well wouldn't fit in the case. Smaller bullets didn't shoot very well. He relined back to armory spec and now it's a tack driver.
This is really great to know.

This has me nervous, did you do anything to get it to the new address or was is taken care of on the receiving end?
It was taken care of on his end. I guess he has been in business long enough all the delivery people know where he is.

It was taken care of on his end. I guess he has been in business long enough all the delivery people know where he is.
Good deal,

i sent out a few barrels in January and I hope he got them, I also hope I don’t have to wait 6 months but such is life.

He is still on the same road and just a couple of doors away from his old address. I think I heard he moved into his old family residence. Anyway they all know him so it'll get there. His move was a few years ago.

Back