• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks Kevin Dougherty, Bobby Hoyt and Dutch Schoultz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkman1

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello All, I started deer hunting as a teen ager with a flintlock in PA in the 70's. Me and my friends knew nothing about flintlocks and we made alot of mistakes. Fast forward to now ( I'm 64 ) and have been very fortunate to live in good deer, turkey and bear country with alot of opportunity. I would like to share with everyone out there how the men above helped.

Kevin Dougherty Brackney, PA - Kevin builds beautiful period firearms. I shoot a TC Hawken and was having a hard time seeing the sights in the low light conditions of hunting, the TC front sight is a black bead/ post type. Kevin made a German silver blade and filed an angle on it and it works great. I also replaced the TC adjustable rear sight with a fixed TC rear sight.

Bobby Hoyt - I sent my factory 50 cal. TC barrel to Bobby and had him rebore to 54 ca. round ball twist ( I think 1/60 twist ). I only use round balls and this barrel shoots great. I use a .15 patch, .535 ball and 80 grains FFG

Dutch Schoultz - I purchased his " shooting system " and it helped me in all phases of shooting - accuracy, reliability, cleaning etc

I owe alot to the men above for my sucess in our PA flintlock season

Attachments

• DSCF0277.JPG
    DSCF0277.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 43
Hello All, I started deer hunting as a teen ager with a flintlock in PA in the 70's. Me and my friends knew nothing about flintlocks and we made alot of mistakes. Fast forward to now ( I'm 64 ) and have been very fortunate to live in good deer, turkey and bear country with alot of opportunity. I would like to share with everyone out there how the men above helped.

Kevin Dougherty Brackney, PA - Kevin builds beautiful period firearms. I shoot a TC Hawken and was having a hard time seeing the sights in the low light conditions of hunting, the TC front sight is a black bead/ post type. Kevin made a German silver blade and filed an angle on it and it works great. I also replaced the TC adjustable rear sight with a fixed TC rear sight.

Bobby Hoyt - I sent my factory 50 cal. TC barrel to Bobby and had him rebore to 54 ca. round ball twist ( I think 1/60 twist ). I only use round balls and this barrel shoots great. I use a .15 patch, .535 ball and 80 grains FFG

Dutch Schoultz - I purchased his " shooting system " and it helped me in all phases of shooting - accuracy, reliability, cleaning etc

I owe alot to the men above for my sucess in our PA flintlock season
Almost sounds like a deathbed confession many of us could make.

Congrats on your deer! I too am a fan of the TC Hawken flintlock (I own 2 of them). And like you, I’ve had several mentors in black powder shooting. When I started getting into Muzzleloading, there was no such thing as YouTube, so I had to learn by trial and error or ask advice from folks who were already experienced. I’m from PA as well, and there are quite a few people around who know a lot about this hobby. I’m happy and thankful for their guidance.

Latest posts

Back