• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bobby Hoyt Rebore Praise/TC Renegade Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis186

Full of mostly useless esoteric knowledge
Reaction score
Just wanted to sing some praises about Bobby Hoyt's work. I've had this TC Renegade for several years that originally started life as a 50 caliber. It never shot very well with PRB or Conical. I sent it to Bobby about a month or so ago and had him cut it to a 1:66 twist 58 cal. I'm a frugal kind of guy, so I do load development and sight in usually on the same target. After some fiddling I settled on 90gr of Olde Eynsford 2F with a .570 round ball and .018 pillow ticking patch. Ignited by a schuetzen musket cap. This load delivered this nice little 5 shot cluster at 50 yards. Before I was lucky to hit paper with PRB in this rifle. I still need some more trigger time before I'm totally satisfied, but am I happy? You bet.

About the gun. My wife bought this for me as a very early Christmas gift back in 2013 from Track of the wolf. I decided since I was getting it rebored I would go ahead and refinish the rifle too, so I draw filed the barrel and got rid of all the safety warnings, browned all metal hardware, and refinished the stock. My dad although not a black powder guy, was very much into the whole mountain man/western fur trapper history, so I decided to pay a little tribute to him on the rifle in the way of some carving. I haven't done it in years and I was an amateur at best when I was halfway decent at it, and it shows. I'm actually having John Bergmann build me an SMR and it will have a similar tribute to him as well. Just my way of taking him hunting with me again.

IMG_5950.jpegIMG_5955.jpeg

That looks really nice and a good shooter too! That was a lot of draw filing. Did you just do the filing on the flats with the warnings? What finish did you use on the stock? I just got a renegade that was abused by the previous owner. The barrel was left uncleaned and had a few rust spots. Surprisingly, the bore cleaned up good and the rust came off the barrel but the trigger guard is badly rusted.

That looks really nice and a good shooter too! That was a lot of draw filing. Did you just do the filing on the flats with the warnings? What finish did you use on the stock? I just got a renegade that was abused by the previous owner. The barrel was left uncleaned and had a few rust spots. Surprisingly, the bore cleaned up good and the rust came off the barrel but the trigger guard is badly rusted.
I just draw filed the warnings. Hindsight being 20/20 I shoulda done the whole rifle, TC roll stamp and all, but I didn't. I peened the roll stamps away first with a center punch. The stock was finished with several coats of permalyn sealer and then buffed back down to bare wood with scotchbrite. Once I was happy the grain was sealed I brought it back with a 1/3rd mix. The metal was browned with Laurel Mtn Forge browning solution, although I'm sure any true rust blue/browning solution will work fine.

Latest posts

Back