• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it figured out now
20240430_213728.jpg

Yep. In fact, they fit even better than factory caps.
I’m brand new at this, haven’t even shot yet so I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions. I see that the compound doesn’t come with the kit. What is it, where do I get it? Or better yet, can I obtain these type caps complete and ready to use?

Last edited:
22 Shooters has the Priming Compound.

Only way to get Caps are to find or order them, the make it yourself are two different people/outfits.

22 Shooters has a Stamp/Die you can make the Cap cups from. I am not interested until or unless I can get them to work. At that point its a balance of buying the cups or making them myself.

I am not doing it because I want to, I can't get Caps so doing alternative options. I got Mag Spark coming for my Ruger Old Army (ROA) and I can get the 209 Musket Primers.

If I don't like or have a hard time with the do it yourself I can go shoot the Ruger just fine (in theory).

I’m brand new at this, haven’t even shot yet so I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions. I see that the compound doesn’t come with the kit. What is it, where do I get it? Or better yet, can I obtain these type caps complete and ready to use?
Just do a Google search for "Prime-All." It'll show the compound that you can order.

I got both the Reloader 22 Primer Kit and the BG Cup Kit in today and have the first attempts curing.

Very well done for BG and his setup on the cups. They do indeed fit nicely on Pietta Slix Sp[rings cones and the ROA original cones. I got the Number 10s and the fit is very good (good thing, you can't pinch plastic - grin). If it works no more falling off caps.

The BG scoop is a great part of the setup as is the tamper. Both fill a gap in the 22 Reloader setup. No guessing on the amount or futzing find a right size tampe.

I went with trying Alcohol and Acetone as I had both here. My wife reports no HairSpray at the store, its all Gell Products now which per her is the thing (I defer to her on items of Trends, not a clue on my part, I never was trendy though once every 20 years I am because standing still trends lap me then pass me by - all for the best, being trendy is expensive!) If Alc or Ace work then I am set anyway. Otherwise a beauty store (hmm, have my wife do that!)

Yes the fill and handling of the cups is fiddly but that part is what it is and I don't see any tech solution other than maybe a tray with holes they go in from the bottom. That said I hand feed small primers into my hand Primer tool as the tray for that is a pain and used to handling small objects despite the age and not the best hands for fiddly - never was, strong hands was always a working asset and fiddly was to get by with and for in latter years.

I used a small hemostart to hold the Cups for the drops and that worked nicely.

I used a syringe to get a drop of fluid, my dentist supply those with a mouth wash that has a tiny nozzle, though this one has been cut back. I can get one with a non cut nozzle next dental trip and not cut it back. Take a bit of the fiddly part out though really not bad even with a not as good a drop setup as I would like.

Still I got a decent drop out of each of the Alcohol and Acetone and did 6 of each. The tamper worked a treat and its dried well and looks consistent in the cups. If appearance is anything to go by even with my ham fisted work it looks very good.

I have to wait until its cured so that is tomorrow but even before I put on a heating pad they looked dry now, I need patience as I want to try them tonight.

The Reloader 22 initial was easily enough for 12 cap fills and a bit left over, maybe another 3 at a guess. Gives some scale for what size batch to run. If they go bang then I figure batches of 30.

I bagged what was left of the Primer Mix and put it outside. Better safe than sorry and the bags of each ingredient and kept in two different places.

If it works then in the future I will use the mix all up whatever it comes to and not have any volatile left though that is probably over doing it, not worth a problem so no issue from my standpoint.

While Reloader 22 is the key, BG setup is a sweet bonus as it takes it to a far better level not to mention not having to stamp cups out.

I got both the Reloader 22 Primer Kit and the BG Cup Kit in today and have the first attempts curing.

Very well done for BG and his setup on the cups. They do indeed fit nicely on Pietta Slix Sp[rings cones and the ROA original cones. I got the Number 10s and the fit is very good (good thing, you can't pinch plastic - grin). If it works no more falling off caps.

The BG scoop is a great part of the setup as is the tamper. Both fill a gap in the 22 Reloader setup. No guessing on the amount or futzing find a right size tampe.

I went with trying Alcohol and Acetone as I had both here. My wife reports no HairSpray at the store, its all Gell Products now which per her is the thing (I defer to her on items of Trends, not a clue on my part, I never was trendy though once every 20 years I am because standing still trends lap me then pass me by - all for the best, being trendy is expensive!) If Alc or Ace work then I am set anyway. Otherwise a beauty store (hmm, have my wife do that!)

Yes the fill and handling of the cups is fiddly but that part is what it is and I don't see any tech solution other than maybe a tray with holes they go in from the bottom. That said I hand feed small primers into my hand Primer tool as the tray for that is a pain and used to handling small objects despite the age and not the best hands for fiddly - never was, strong hands was always a working asset and fiddly was to get by with and for in latter years.

I used a small hemostart to hold the Cups for the drops and that worked nicely.

I used a syringe to get a drop of fluid, my dentist supply those with a mouth wash that has a tiny nozzle, though this one has been cut back. I can get one with a non cut nozzle next dental trip and not cut it back. Take a bit of the fiddly part out though really not bad even with a not as good a drop setup as I would like.

Still I got a decent drop out of each of the Alcohol and Acetone and did 6 of each. The tamper worked a treat and its dried well and looks consistent in the cups. If appearance is anything to go by even with my ham fisted work it looks very good.

I have to wait until its cured so that is tomorrow but even before I put on a heating pad they looked dry now, I need patience as I want to try them tonight.

The Reloader 22 initial was easily enough for 12 cap fills and a bit left over, maybe another 3 at a guess. Gives some scale for what size batch to run. If they go bang then I figure batches of 30.

I bagged what was left of the Primer Mix and put it outside. Better safe than sorry and the bags of each ingredient and kept in two different places.

If it works then in the future I will use the mix all up whatever it comes to and not have any volatile left though that is probably over doing it, not worth a problem so no issue from my standpoint.

While Reloader 22 is the key, BG setup is a sweet bonus as it takes it to a far better level not to mention not having to stamp cups out.
Awesome! Glad to hear from another person that is enjoying them. And I'm glad that you mentioned the scoop because most people tend to overfill their caps and then the fitment becomes wonky and the caps won't clear particular pistol frames because of how far they stick out due to the excess powder, so it's very important to use the included scooper with just a single scoop of powder per cap. I also modified how I make mine by the idea of another member here. I got a large needle syring, pulled the plunger out and filled it with duco cement and replace the plunger. Then I just push a little glob into the bottom of each cap and then pour the priming powder on top of the duco in the cap and tamp it down. It literally turns into a hardened puck of compound and doesn't come loose once dry. I have 100% ignition doing it this way.

I popped off some of the caps late last night (could not stand it) and again this morning.

The Caps that I used the drop of Acetone on all 4 tested popped off normally In the ROA.

The 58 Pietta has the short Slix Spring cones and I have had firing problems with that - the cap I tried in fizzled, I think its the cone and hammer relationship. I will test with original cones.

The none of the Caps with Alcohol popped off in ROA or the 1858 .

Unfortunately the 47 Walker is charged up right now and I can't test it until I clear the cylinder of those charges.

I loaded another 26 caps this morning. I can't see real well at certain ranges (bi foclas). The scoop was hard to see bottom of the cup as the charge was gray like same as the scoop.

I don't think its worth BS effort to make a white one, I marked one side so I was not running the bottom of the scoop through the mix and getting no charge!

I just made sure to tap the scoop a tad on the Cup and look at the level in the Cup to be sure I had all the mix into the Cup from the scoop. Just fine tuning the process.

I like the rims on the Cap Cups as it makes handling them a bit easier. About the limit of my fiddly work level. Nothing to do with the setup and just the reality of working with small stuff because its small stuff.

I have a set of nipples from Track that are designed to work with CCI #11 standard caps (non magnum). I’ve never tried them as I can’t find them as single tins but have found that Rem #10s work great. Should I get the #10 or #11 size tool for that? They don’t seem to answer their emails…

Are you talking about the tool from Reloader 22? If so I doubt they do any testing. Number 11s fit the guns fairly well but I am inclined to 10s which is the kit I got from BG.

I doubt you will get a precision out of 22 Reloader tool that does not wander back and forth between 10s and 11s. Its not precision and the mfgs of Caps don't agree on the right sizes.

Back