• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blood thinners and sharp tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had to get a couple of stents in my heart the other day and now have to take Pavix to thin my blood.

For you blood thinner guys do you have a favorite glove you wear when using sharp pointy things to prevent cuts.

I am practicing my first barrel inlet on a junk piece of cherry and really gun shy about using my chisels. Before the thinner I was constantly slicing myself up when I inletted parts on a build. If I do the same now I am in big trouble.

I do keep the superglue handy as well as product called Wound Seal that will stop bleeding.

For those of you unfamiliar with blood thinners; a cut won't stop bleeding its own, scary stuff at times.

I don't take blood thinners, but work with a lot of sharp stuff in the forge. I have used these Kevlar gloves and they will help with preventing cuts. I hate using gloves when working but sometimes they are indispensable. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/kevlar-glove-with-pvc-dots.html

Before retiring from the police department we were issued Kevlar tactical leather gloves and they prevented needle sticks and cuts but were expensive in the $50 range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric Krewson said:
For those of you unfamiliar with blood thinners; a cut won't stop bleeding its own, scary stuff at times.
That's not necessarily the case, what Plavax (like aspirin) does is make platelets more slippery so they can take longer to clot.
Most gouge wounds are incise wounds, sometimes deep, but the key is clean and dry and to close the flesh as closely to original position and pressure, don't change saturated dressing add more.
Just keep gouges sharp and handle them carefully. Don't use a lot of pressure when cutting,, just shave many thin layers instead of one thick one.

Two words:

Clotting Sponges

My wife is on thinners after heart valve replacement half a decade back. We keep these things with us all the time, especially hunting, fishing and cooking.

Funny thing....

She's never needed them. But I was happy they were on hand a couple of weeks back when I stabbed myself in the forearm and found a vein while filleting salmon. :redface:

In my case I don't stop, at least not in a reasonable length of time. After bleeding for over a half hour from some minor cuts lately I realize my Plavix and asprin are working much too well. Direct pressure has no effect, hey, I was a boy scout and know a little about first aid. I also worked with the EMTs at the plant hauling injured folk out of bad spots for about 20 years.

I cut the inside of my mouth a few days ago on a piece of hard candy, something that never would have happened if I wasn't taking Plavix. After bleeding for over an hour I looked up solutions on the internet and stumbled across using a teabag to stop the bleeding, it worked.

Most of my gun building cuts are of careless type, reaching for a chisel and getting into the blade, dropping a draw knife and reaching out to catch it instinctively and the like, almost never from the actual use of the tool.

Eric -- I'm in the same boat as you :cursing: . I had my heart attack & stint in 2010 and bleed at the slightest nick or cut. I don't do anything different than what I have done in the past. The scariest incident that I had recently was with the table saw - yup - I pushed through a 4" X 48" X 3/4" partical board strip and before the saw stopped I reached over the moving blade and the blade hit the top of my thumb. It was just a "nick" but I thought my thumb was gone. I immediately grabbed it with my other hand and went to my next door neighbor - knocked on her door and asked if she could put a bandage on it. It was the first time I looked at it since the saw hit it. Only the tip was "nicked-up" but it bled like I lost the whole thumb -- morel of the story is -- "DON'T DO STUPID THINGS" :redface: :nono: :( :doh: .

Eric, I bought a pair of Epica cut resistant gloves on Amazon, I only use one on my off hand, and it seems to work fine. I think the nubs on other brands reduce my sense of touch, and the Epica gloves are smooth.

BPD303, I am on my second pair of Hatch stick proof leather gloves, and they are expensive. I've never tested them to see how stick proof they are, but they are great for doing a thorough pat down. My co worker called his Hatch gloves the "Crotch Master 5000"!! :slap:

Eterry

As you know blood thinners are serious business. If you have not already done so I suggest you to talk to your doctor (maybe your pharmacist as well) about how much you are bleeding in the incidents you described.

Your Plavix and aspirin dosage may be too high and may need adjustment.

You are right it is serious business. What I hate worse is when I cut myself and don't know it and get blood all over a spot on the stock I just finished. Blood makes a very good stain, not a pretty stain but a persistent one.

Same problems so I went old school and bought a styptic{sp) pencil. Stops bleeding and proves your manhood at the same time. Damn that thing stings, but it will stop my bleeding in a heart beat.

I have been on Coumadin (warfarin - rat poison) for years. If I cut myself, it does take longer to stop bleeding, but it does stop.
I would suggest that if bleeding is prolonged, get an INR test done. It may be that you are overmedicated. Blood clots are to be avoided, but too much anticoagulation can be dangerous. Not only bleeding cuts, but serious deep bruises can result.

5 min of direct pressure should stop bleeding if your therapeutic on your dosage. Cutting an artery is hard as they are deep. About 20 min pressure should stop bleeding again if your theruputic. Stay up on your testing. When you get cut and apply pressure don't peak until your time is up. Watch below where your applying pressure. You just want to stop the bleeding not stop the blood flow below the sight. Try to avoid glues and cauterizing angents if you can stop it with pressure. Those can damage the tissue around the injury.
Keep your tools sharp and pointed away from you.

I concur. I have been on warfarin since my pulmonary embolism 8 or 9 years ago. They discovered I have lupus anticoagulation antibody. I think you should see your doctor, you are bleeding way too much.

I am on Plavix and yes it is a blood thinner, but you will stop bleeding if you take proper care. When I cut myself I put 20 seconds of direct pressure on the cut then tend to it with proper bandaging.
One issue is that when one goes to clean the wound after staunching blood flow, is it can start bleeding again.
It sucks, but it is not as bad as you have yourself thinking it is.

and have no tomtom in the shop............ :td:

he has his attention getting ways......it often involves MY blood being let :youcrazy:

:doh:
marc n tomtom

Being hypertherapeutic (high levels) of blood thinners can manifest in other areas of the body as well, the GI tract being fairly common. Keep up on your testing and watch for things like black or dark colored stools. If these happen get into your doctor right away.

No recommendations on cut-resistant gloves, but I will say that dull tools are WAY more dangerous than sharp ones. :wink:

I don't take blood thinners but do have a comment on "the safe use of hand tools".

I rarely draw blood when building MLers....a little common sense goes a long ways in that respect....but did have an odd "accident" w/ a large Xacto knife.

After replacing the blade in the Xacto knife which was going to used to outline an inlay, picked up the knife and while my mind wasn't on the job, dropped it...not to worry because I stand on a wooden pallet. Well, the Xacto knife fell w/ the blade point down. pierced the shoe leather and stuck upright into my big toe.....just like an arrow.

Pulled it out and took off the shoe and sock and never saw a wound bleed so profusely for a couple of minutes. Finally a compress stopped the bleeding. The dryed blood on the pallet is a constant reminder to concentrate on the job at hand....Fred

Very interesting topic and one that should be taken very seriously. Though I'm one of the younger guys here, I feel okay to chime in. My wife is a nurse on cardiac ICU, so I'm up on the latest and greatest thanks to her. She bought me some wound seal powder, good thing is its safe for people on thinners and it works. Just like the quick clot we use in the Military, without the teeth shattering pain. Now just this last Monday I did just as you mentioned above, sliced my finger open with one of my chisels while inletting my barrel. Fortunately thanks to skin glue and the above wound seal, against her advice I didn't go for stitches and all is well. Something worth looking into, sharp tool or dull tool it's inevitable your going to do it! I just prefer the sharper tool! Good luck and stay safe! :hatsoff:

Back