• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder beginner questions. traditions Kentucky rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
every time i read the word rust i cringe haha rust on anything goes against everything i have ever learned about firearm care. but ill give cold browning a try. i dont have a workshop or any tools really, so hopefully these christmas hours help out to get some stuff and get it done and over with. i dont know anybody near by that has a workshops either. so its all gonna be by hand. :surrender: i was looking at that laurel mountain forge website and spotted that gunsmith finishing kit. im guessing thats a cold browning solution? im also thinking about doing a cherry finish on the stock. you guys think it would look good? cherry stock with a browned barrel? and one more thing. the caps? #10 and #11? whats the difference? and which does this thing use?

thatoneguy said:
every time i read the word rust i cringe haha rust on anything goes against everything i have ever learned about firearm care. but ill give cold browning a try. i dont have a workshop or any tools really, so hopefully these christmas hours help out to get some stuff and get it done and over with. i dont know anybody near by that has a workshops either. so its all gonna be by hand. :surrender: i was looking at that laurel mountain forge website and spotted that gunsmith finishing kit. im guessing thats a cold browning solution? im also thinking about doing a cherry finish on the stock. you guys think it would look good? cherry stock with a browned barrel? and one more thing. the caps? #10 and #11? whats the difference? and which does this thing use?
Please use gloves (those blue ones from Harbor Freight) when using any blueing kit. Keep that liquid away from your skin.
Probably #11 caps, I prefer Remington ones.
Hey, I also like Cherry finishes too.
Good Lock,
BartSr

yeah, i figured i would need them, waiting on the christmas check to hit the bank so i can get it all done. and cool! i just googled some pictures i think im gonna like it! and if i changed the nipple would it work? are there different size nipples for the different caps? or is it just a matter of whichever one actually fits?

Your nipple should be for #11 caps. I think Traditions uses M6X1 threads. If you use a #10 cap on a #11 nipple, it will probably fit too tight and if not seated against the face of the nipple, you can get miss-fires.

ahh. i can see how that can be problematic.well, when my next paycheck comes in im going to finish this thing up. shouldnt take more than 3 days right? any tools i might need besides sand paper and a metal file?

be careful with the trigger guard when trying to get it to fit, it will snap into like a dry twig. i found it best to drill pilot holes for the screw holes. grease the pins that hold the forearm to the stock before putting them in. makes it a lot better when taking it back apart during the fitting.

I just fixed up the mortise on another rifle, needed a small alteration on the inletting to let the metal parts of the lock have unimpeded movement. I'd suggest a razor blade or a very sharp, small knife, and to make tiny cuts in tiny increments should you need to make any adjustments. Like, really tiny. It's better to take out less wood than more.

I'm anxious to hear how this project turns out, as I've been wanting to try a build.

Good luck, and go slow. With anything, it's easier to take the time than to fix a mistake. Check out "the gun builder's bench" for anything you'd ever want know about building and refinishing.

And most importantly, enjoy! Nothing like finally blasting some thing you've put some time into.

It is always nice to have some 0000 steelwool on hand! Can be used for barrel prep work, used on stock between coats to attack the raised wiskers. Also I agree with what crockett said about the " Laurel Mountain Forge Browning Solution" It really is fool proof and simple to use and creates very desirable results. I have tried it and also Track Of The Wolf brand browning solution. Both worked great but obtained desired results with fewer applications with the Laurel Mountain Solution. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

thanks guys! hopefully the paycheck hits friday morning so i can go out and get stuff to start working on this! ill probably end up with the laurel mountain forge gunsmiths finishers kit $59 to my door. would 2.5 ounces be enough for that much barrel?

thatoneguy said:
would 2.5 ounces be enough for that much barrel?
Yep, that's the standard size jug for over the counter and there's enough to do 4-5 rifle barrels.
That kit looks like a pretty good deal for some great LMF products! :thumbsup:

A browning fan here. I don't know if it's more authentic, but I think it is.

Bluing is also a form of rust, as I understand it. That may not be so, I don't know, but I like a brown barrel. When I got my LGPR, I stripped off the blue and went brown. I think it looks great.

Maybe originals were blue and turned to brown over the years. Don't ask me.

Awesome! Can't wait for it to be done. I've decided on a dark cherry for the stock and the lmf browning solution for the barrel. Oh! The punches, would iron punches be bad to use, as opposed to brass punches? And for the sights, should I file the barrel to make the sights fit? Or file the sights to make them fit into the barrel?

Also, anyone have or know of a step by step video on browning a barrel? I see cold gluing videos everywhere, but not for browning

Don't know what you need the punches for, and if your getting that kit the dovetails are already cut.
While brass punches are nice to have when you dis-assemble and assemble a gun(s) many times because the softer brass won't deform pins and holes (as much) as a steel punch, but with extra care steel punches can do just fine.
Guy's will use all kinds of things for a "pin punch".

Thanks! First gun I'm building so everything is still alot to take in. Going to get started on the stock today in the afternoon. And order the browning solution. Should be here by next Thursday hopefully. So just take extra care with the pin punches. And as for the holes I need to drill, what size drill bits should I get? And what grit sand paper should I use for the sights?

Best bet, is to scroll on down to the Gun Builders Bench and wander through the back pages, just reading random topics you find of interest.
Don't be in too big a hurry.
Spend a little time making sure things the barrel fits where it belongs, the lock and butt plate fit where they belong. Many time a sharp carving tool is needed to remove a little wood.
The barrel and lock need fit in harmony so the hammer strikes the nipple properly.
You might need to de-grease some of the metal parts so you don't get grease all over the wood,,
Gun Builders Bench

Thanks! That's what I've been up to, just reading what I can. But reading is one thing and doing is another haha the only part I'm worried about is the rusting process. I'm more than positive I'm gonna have to get my friends to hold me back from getting it out of the tent and trying to take the rust off haha I guess once I'm done cleaning up from the party I'm headed to home depot to pick up what I need. Thanks!

quick question. didn't want to start a whole new topic for nipple wrenches. is there any particular wrench you recommend? im looking at the traditions deluxe nipple wrench, but it doesn't say what size it takes.

Latest posts

Back