• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single stock for Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmumma

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to find a single wood stock for my Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit I will be doing this winter. Please let me know if you have one, if you wanted mine from the kit I would send it to you. Thank you, this is a great group.

I don’t know of any manufacturer that offers a full length stock for your kit. If someone did it may cost as much as your complete kit. The most likely way to get a one piece stock would be to find a stock blank with just the barrel and ramrod groove cut then do all the inletting yourself.
Mule333 posted as I typed, a good suggestion. You may want to get a different lock as well, many people replace the locks on Traditions guns.

Would that be the same stock for a CVA Kentucky?
Euty, they look the same but Traditions made them in 50 and 45 caliber where CVA only made it in 45 caliber. The channel width might be different on a 50. I’ve built several CVA Kentucky rifle kits back in ‘80 & ‘81 and their barrels were 13/16th across the flats. Perhaps bmumma could give you the measurement of the channel width?

Euty, they look the same but Traditions made them in 50 and 45 caliber where CVA only made it in 45 caliber. The channel width might be different on a 50. I’ve built several CVA Kentucky rifle kits back in ‘80 & ‘81 and their barrels were 13/16th across the flats. Perhaps bmumma could give you the measurement of the channel width?
I should have specified, .45 is what I meant.

At one time traditions made a model called shenandoah or something like that that was one piece, don't know if it's still in production. Might be something to look into.

You could get a pre carve from Pecatonica. That would give you the barrel channel, ramrod hole drilled and the stock would be rough shaped.
I do not believe that Pecatonica offers a ‘pre carve’ for any CVAs or Traditions models. May want to contact them about a stock with a barrel inlet for the width of the barrel supplied with the kit.

No offense intended, but OP obtained a Traditions kit with a two piece stock, love it or hate it, and there are no plug and play one piece aftermarket stocks out there that I am aware of. I would suggest assembling the gun with the supplied stock and enjoy the experience of putting it together and shooting it. Or sell the kit as is and move on to something that interests you, the OP.

I have a jukar 45,cva 45 and traditions 50. They measure .885 across the flats, just a bit over 7/8. Hope this helps 🍻

I always wondered if one could cut a thin slice of wood to replace the brass between the two pieces of wood and blend it all together so it looks like a one piece stock.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I do not believe that Pecatonica offers a ‘pre carve’ for any CVAs or Traditions models. May want to contact them about a stock with a barrel inlet for the width of the barrel supplied with the kit.

No offense intended, but OP obtained a Traditions kit with a two piece stock, love it or hate it, and there are no plug and play one piece aftermarket stocks out there that I am aware of. I would suggest assembling the gun with the supplied stock and enjoy the experience of putting it together and shooting it. Or sell the kit as is and move on to something that interests you, the OP.
Your not going to find any pre carve identical to what comes with that kit. He could get a pre carve of the correct barrel channel size and go from there. The Pecatonica Beck Boys stock would be a good one to use. Don't know what kind of experience the OP has but a pre carve would be easier to work with than a blank. If he is looking for a one piece stock to just drop the parts in that isn't going to happen. The cost of buying a one piece stock and a better replacement lock will probably be more than the original kit, better off just putting what he has together and saving the money to buy a better rifle.

CVA went to 50 cal before they stopped producing sidelocks.

Walt

CVA went to 50 cal before they stopped producing sidelocks.

Walt
Thanks for the update. I thought they only produced 45’s but my experience with them was the late 70’s til the very early 80’s. Thanks again BP, most readers would have let this important detail slide by. Oops, wrong BP.

Last edited:
I have owned both 45 and 50 caliber CVA Kentucky rifles with the two piece stocks. Believe there is an unfired 45 caliber CVA in the back of the safe today. The reference books I have (Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms for example) only mentions the Traditions Kentucky Rifle (percussion and flint) with the two piece stock being made in 50 caliber, though that doesn’t mean they didn’t miss a 45 caliber being produced. Just don’t remember seeing a reference anywhere to a Traditions in 45 caliber.

An alternative to a one piece stock would be to join the two pieces together with a wood shim in place of the brass. I saw one joined like that and it was glued together. It was done before the stock was finished and it was hard to tell it was a two piece stock after it was finished.
PS, the shim needs to be the exact width of the brass, give or take a hair, or the nose cap screw holes won’t line up correctly with the barrel holes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back