• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions KY Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBOWL10

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
I am working on my first kit and I am still in the process of fitting up everything and sanding. My question is about the barrel tang. Should it be flush with the stock or recessed? I didn’t want to remove too much wood because it seems like that area is taking the brunt of the recoil and needs to be strong. Let me know your thoughts! See photo please.
I would like to add that the barrel fits great in the stock (front and rear pieces) so if I raise the tang up with filler or epoxy then the barrel will not be touching the stock at the breech.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
First fit the barrel and the breech. Then flush fit the tang. The tang doesn't take the recoil. The recoil is taken where the breech meets the stock in the breech inlet (plus the tang screw) and you won't be removing any wood there, except just to make it a tight fit. So just make sure you got a good tight fit there, using transfer marking, because you can't tell by looking from the outside how the parts are making contact.

First fit the barrel and the breech. Then flush fit the tang. The tang doesn't take the recoil. The recoil is taken where the breech meets the stock in the breech inlet (plus the tang screw) and you won't be removing any wood there, except just to make it a tight fit. So just make sure you got a good tight fit there, using transfer marking, because you can't tell by looking from the outside how the parts are making contact.
OK. I did notice that if the tang is not flush with the stock the nipple face is not parallel with the hammer face. I think they need to hire a new CNC machine programmer. They took too much wood out of the tang inlet.

OK. I did notice that if the tang is not flush with the stock the nipple face is not parallel with the hammer face. I think they need to hire a new CNC machine programmer. They took too much wood out of the tang inlet.
What do you mean? Show us a picture of the barrel and lock fitted to the stock. The drum should be resting on or just above the lock.20240302_212613.jpg

If the tang is brought up to the level of the wood, the barrel will not sit right.

From your picture it looks like the drum sits down against the lockplate like it should. Like Tumbledown stated, If you raise the tang you are going to have a gap between the drum and the lockplate, you definitely do not want this. More pictures from different angles would help.

...They took too much wood out of the tang inlet.
No, they left excess wood on the top of the wrist so there would be enough to be removed to get the tang flush after the barrel and breech were inlet. It's OK. Way it should be at this point. You don't want to start forcing things to fit by adding filler. Don't ask me how I know.

No, they left excess wood on the top of the wrist so there would be enough to be removed to get the tang flush after the barrel and breech were inlet. It's OK. Way it should be at this point. You don't want to start forcing things to fit by adding filler. Don't ask me how I know.
Yep, there's LOTS of extra wood on these kits!

Latest posts

Back