• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess vs Charleville vs Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a Bess that I just love. I'm seriously thinking about getting another smoothie, though, and wonder about the differences between the above smokepoles. Anyone have enough experience with them to give me a brief tutorial of the pro's & con's of each? (I know the technical differences. I'm curious as to real world hands on impressions.) Other flinters I should consider? Thanks.

first... why do you want it? well not why :haha: but for what purpose? shoot... just to look cool... hunt with...?

I would go against the grain if I were you ...
I would get a Charleville. ..................
I like to remove the barrel without dealing with
pins.....

I would vote for a quality fowler or light fusil they handel quite well and there is no need to remove the barrel very often so the pions are not a problem.

Roy said:
first... why do you want it? well not why :haha: but for what purpose? shoot... just to look cool... hunt with...?

Why, all of the above, of course!

Seriously, that's pretty close to what I'm after. I love to punch paper and stump shoot, and I've got enough bunnies and tree rats to do a little hunting with it. Plenty of white tails, too. Even turkey.

The Bess was my first flint smoothie, and I really took to it. I've just got the itch to get another, and the above three seem like my best options. (But other suggestions are very welcome.)

As for having one built to my specs, any suggestions as to who? How much $$ am I looking at? Go with .62 cal / 20 ga? Something else?

I love being educated, so please don't hesitate to be verbose. :grin:

Well, you already have the Bess which can double as a heavy duty fowler and still serve as it was intended, so if I were you I would go with a nice fowler. Maybe a twenty bore with a forty-four inch or so barrel using best quality parts and a fine cherry or walnut stock. A nice light six and a half pound birding piece that will become a family heirloom....

I would agree with most of the others. You already have a military musket - get a civilian gentleman's fowler. There's so many variations - Dutch, English, New England, PA German... - if you're not particularly concerned about getting a certain style to fit a historical "personna", you can just get the style that appeals to you most.

.62 cal. certainly is the most versatile, IMHO.

Let us know what you decide on and post pictures!

I'd have to cast my vote for a fowler in a .62 cal/20 ga. I'd like to get one myself. Good luck :thumbsup: .

20 bores are versatile woods running guns. I like the Caywood Northwest gun. Very neatly fit and finished at a fair price. You have lots of great custom and semi custom options. A Jim Chambers Officers Fusil would be lovely, reliable, and versatile.

Go with the 62/20 Fowler. Like Rebel said Bobby Christian makes a real nice one for $800 or so.
I got mine from him a few months back and it is really a nice piece.

Back