• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bellybutton lint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well same stuff
All my clothes are 100% cotton. I buy thinking about future rags and tinder. But after drying I note the fluff in the dryer filter.
It must burn.
So I started saving it till I got a little bag full.
When I got enough I gave it a try. A fire nest, a bit of fluff, and a bit of char cloth, what was called rag tinder in the old days.
Struck a spark and poof.
Poof !
It was like I had something in some sort of cheater mix
Or maybe it’s a cheat
Can’t you just see ‘Ol’ Tom’ and ‘Deer Skinner Bob on the trail picking bellybutton lint for their strike a light bag😊

Been using it for years to start the backyard chiminea but I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about you using it for pistol wadding or somesuch.

Well same stuff
All my clothes are 100% cotton. I buy thinking about future rags and tinder. But after drying I note the fluff in the dryer filter.
It must burn.
So I started saving it till I got a little bag full.
When I got enough I gave it a try. A fire nest, a bit of fluff, and a bit of char cloth, what was called rag tinder in the old days.
Struck a spark and poof.
Poof !
It was like I had something in some sort of cheater mix
Or maybe it’s a cheat
Can’t you just see ‘Ol’ Tom’ and ‘Deer Skinner Bob on the trail picking bellybutton lint for their strike a light bag😊
Huh! I know you can put dryer out for birds to use as nesting, but never thought of this one! Good tip!

Never done that with dryer lint, but when the old English sheep dog got brushed (and that's a lot) would throw the fur in the yard it didn't hang around long until a bird would get it. He has since went on to find us a good camping spot when I catch up. With the lab not so much hair but the birds still gather it up.

The concerning part about that is that you know what burning dog hair smells like 😀
I have a yorkie that makes too much hair. I thought I wonder how it would work as a wad.
Bag of Shamus hair. A bid of melted lard o bind it all, pinch off a piece and Ram it home.
Saves on shot let me tell you. The stink can drop a turkey at forty yards. Waters my eyes for sure

When I use our dryer lint for tinder it smells like burning dog hair😁
I hear you! We have a "German Shedder." There are wads of dog hair all over the place. My wife grooms the dogs outdoors and just leaves the hair on the ground, but Lily still has plenty left in her coat to drop in the house.

I have a canoe out back, turned bottom side up on a rack. It had been a while since I've put it in the water. Sometimes wrens build nests under the seats. I was out there a couple of days ago and saw that something (maybe the dogs) had pulled out two nests. Both of the nests were about a third dog hair.

With all of that said though, we use the old solar clothes dryer most of the time, so I don't get a lot of dryer lint. I'll start saving it now, and will try it with a strike-a-light.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back