• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beards and Mustaches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone say lamb chops???

When I retired my Wife said no breads!
Ok , then….

65BBADEE-2E19-41CF-BDDA-18639835E70E.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣

I've had facial hair since before it became the "in thing", since about 1978. I don't like to shave. Worked in a food plant so always wore a beard net.

Some people seem to think that all there is to growing a decent beard is just stop shaving. It don't take alot of effort to trim it up. IMHO, a long stringy beard is ugly.People are laughing at you and not with you.
I never met a good looking, educated, well bred, professional working, classy woman who thought Gabby Hayes or Duck Dynasty looked good! Yes, I have met quite a few women as described, and was fortunate enough to marry one. Just one man's opinion.

I have had facial hair in some form or fashion for the last 20 or so years. Had a goatee for about the 1st five. It got old after a while. It took just as long to trim and keep straight as it did to shave. Can't do the neck beard thing though. Like the OP, when it gets hot and sweaty it bothers me. Different trimmers have different settings for beard length. I trim mine to the max length of a WAHL trimmer if that means anything. When there is an historical event or Rondy, I just knock off the chin and mustache and viola! Chops!!!

RM

When I started this thread, I did not have a "Country Gentleman" type appearance in mind. Nor was my time period of preferance in the powdered wig era.

There are probably thousands of pictures of mid 19th century frontiersmen on the internet. Some with only mustaches, some clean shaven, some with mustache and beard.

My initial question was to find out if anyone used theatrical applications in their reenacting pursuits? Facial hair aside, anyone who does historical "reenacting", by the definition of the word is acting and it follows that makeup including facial hair could be part of someone's persona, if they so choose to use it.

I lost my hair years ago and by accounts of people growing beards, who I know personally, the itching is at the very least, annoying.

When I was in Vietnam we shaved when we could and many times, we didn't shave for days. I don't remember having any discomfort then but perhaps it takes a longer growth of beard to get to the itching stage?

In any case, thanks to those who gave honest answers.

My initial question was to find out if anyone used theatrical applications in their reenacting pursuits? Facial hair aside, anyone who does historical "reenacting", by the definition of the word is acting and it follows that makeup including facial hair could be part of someone's persona, if they so choose to use it.
No, I don't use theatrical hair. Stuff I've seen looks fake. I grow my own.

As long as you get quality stuff. Just don't look "amateurish" like some of the professionals in the movie Gettysburg. Talk about fake looking.

A beard that is looked after doesn’t itch, not only thar but it protects the face in both summer and winter and keeps one cool on hot days, it is the facial radiatot, perspiration runs out along the hairs and evaporates

I’ve had mine for 61 years.
I had to repeat the 5th grade, refused to shave off my beard…

i have one about 1/3 of the year because i am lazy and hate to shave.
my wife hates a beard and when mine has been growing for a couple months, she has a single response. she points at it and says, "in your dreams!"
it gets shaved off.
i too was wondering about using a fake beard for theatre.
have had a moustache since 1964. shaved it one time and the dogs wouldn't let me in the house!

Beard since retirement in 1973 except for two months [performance required]. Current wife did not like beards, according to her, but she loves mine. Quien sabe? :dunno: [lost first wife to cancer] Dale

It was the style at that time
Boone returned home from a near 2 year absence in which he never shaved. There was a shindig going on, and he danced with Rebecca without telling her who he was until after the dance. She did not recognize him. Beards and such were not common in the 18th c. society, but there would have been exceptions.

My Dad was in the Navy during WW2. Sailors could grow beards
That stopped when protective masks became mandatory shipborne.
Some religious exceptions still exist today.

The main reason no a lot of men shaved was you have to go to town and see the barber.
Straight razors were NOT designed for you to use, but the barber to use, shave and a hair cut, 2 bits.
In 1903 Gillette came out this the safety razor, anyone even the woman folk could use them.
I use one every day.

Does any reenactor you know use theatrical facial hair to add to their persona? I have been thinking that theatrical hair applications would be preferable to growing my own facial hair and enduring all the itching.

Your thoughts?
Well if you're talking His Majesty's Britannic Armed Forces..., you'd be shaving twice a week at least. Now I confess that I have a salt-n-pepper "wee wig" that gives me the appearance of my having long hair in a plait when I'm in my cocked, uniform hat.... but no facial hair.

IF you do Germanic..., well then maybe a handlebar mustache? Granted these guys are all soldiers, but the Germanic civilians sported the mustache quite a lot too... at least from what I've read......

HESSIAN MUSTACHE B.jpg
HESSIAN MUSTACHE C.jpg
HESSIAN MUSTACHE E.jpg

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back