• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

? on Cow Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This question is probably good for any HORN actually. But my question is about this cow horn. A friend gave me a set of cow horns. My first attempt at making a powder horn. Really don't have a question about the process of making one. But really how does a cow horn grow. I know that the horn consists of the sheath, and the core. Can someone explain how the keratin/hair grows? Does it grow from the outside of the sheath and the sheath just get thicker? Or does it grow from the inside? Or does it just grow/get longer as a whole? From the pics I have attached you can see the outside has both black and white sections. But the inside is mostly black. Is the white section on the outside white because the black is worn off by the critter? And finally because I only have these 2 horns to work with, can the black be scrapped off the inside and outside to make the horn translucent? I have googled the heck out these questions but am not getting to the site with the answers I guess. So the best place really would be here with Craftsman. Pics now.

Attachments

• IMG_5898.JPG
    IMG_5898.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5900.JPG
    IMG_5900.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
Having raised cattle in the past I suspect the outer sheath as you call it grows from the base around the hard inner porous bone structure. Cattle horns grow all during their life and if broken off or cut off don’t regrow ie dehorning calves.

I believe Kansas jake is correct in his post. I don’t think you will be able to make that type of horn translucent as it appears to be from a Holstein mix animal. The deeper it is scraped the more black will show. Usually the tan or cream colored horns may be scraped to be translucent. It is a nice looking horn as it is and a good first project.

Even though I raised cattle for over 25 years I never observed the growing process with that question in mind, nor did I ever observe it. A veterinarian could probably answer your question. But, I wonder, why do you need to know this?

Registration is req'd, but you can most likely get answers at the Horner's Bench (google)

Back