• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear fat.........?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What should I do with it all?
Last night I brought home as much fat as I could from my buddy's bear. (I posted about it in the non-muzzleloading area)

Do you just put it into a large pot & keep it on a fairly low heat to melt it down? Do you just heat it until it's liquid, then pour it into something & let it cool? When rendering it down, how much do you end up with for every pound that you started with? Basic questions, I know, but just want some input.
I think that I've got more than I know what to do with! :shake:

If nothing else, freeze it until you are ready to use it or have more information.

No worries there. It's in my unheated garage, and the last time I looked at the thermometer it was only 12* F outside! :shocked2:

I do a small 1 pound coffee can at a time. Just clean it of all meat/blood as best you can. You want just clean fat, nothing else. Cut in as small cubes as you can, fill the coffee can 3/4 full and place it in a kettle of just boiling water. Not a hard boil. It will start to melt away and release the oil which can be poured off through out the process into another container which I place some sort of a filter and let it filter. You can use a potato masher after a while too to help speed the oil release from the fat.

If you have access to a grinder, grind it. That will allow for the greatest yield. Otherwise the aforementioned directions are right on.

Yeah know I need to try that, I put deer fat through a grind before rendering it but just never did it with bear fat. :hmm:

Swampy, that's good advice. What I do after I have the oil rendered out is place the oil in a big pan with water and boil that together for a while. Let it cool down , lift off the bear grease (may have to put it outside on a cold day) and pour off the water. Sometimes I will do this twice. What this does is get rid of any animal salts that may be in the bear grease.

Swampy makes some mighty fine bear grease :thumbsup: And when he mixes it with beeswax it also makes a good finish for ironwork! :thumbsup: :haha:

I have never rendered bear fat but I have rendered beef fat for tallow. I found that a cast iron pot filled half full of water and half full of fat worked well. Boil it for an hour or so until everything is melted in the fat. Then let the pot cool for a while. I let it cool overnight in the refridgerator, but it sounds like you could let it cool in your garage. The next morning the congealed bear grease will be floating on top of the water and all the crud should be resting on the bottom of the pot.

Many Klatch

I actually tried your method the last time I had fat and I have to say I'll never do it that way again. I much prefer having all of the oil contained in it's own container. For me anyway it's a lot easier to deal with.

I have some deer tallow from that doe I got and some of it got blood on it. Will the water/tallow pot method work to seperate the blood from the tallow?

That shouldn't be to bad cause its hard. Just scrape as much off as you can and if possible run it through a grinder. Grinding it speeds up rendering big time. That I do like Many Klatch stated he does bear fat. Once it solidify's and separates you should end up with a nice cake on top and all the junk on the bottom, just scrape the bottom and your good to go.

If you wash the fat- as you are cutting it into chunks to run through a grinder, you can get rid of much of the "salt", and if you soak the fat in cold water, much of the blood will leech out. The cleaner the fat is before it goes into the grinder, the less unwanted blood, sinew, hair and salt you have to separate from the oil.

Using a double boiler system- a pot in a pan of water- with water in the pot that holds the fat-- will keep you from burning the fat, starting fires, and provides an efficient way to transmit heat to the fat, to get it to "melt".

If you have enough fat- as this poster has bear fat-- you can easily spoon or pour off the oils from the top of the water into a separage container, to cool. I think the idea of grinding the fat to get the most oil out of it is important, but in the long run, you have to filter, and distill the product several times to get clear oil. I have used coffee filters, as well as cheesecloth folded in several layers and placed in a strainer to separate out junk from the oil. But the only way I know to get the salts out is by using water with the oil so that the salt leeches into the water. Several Changes of the water during the rendering of any large quantity of oil is called for.

When to change? If the water appears " bloody", Change it! When it cools, you can do a taste test to see how salty the water is. If you can taste a strong taste of salt, change it for new, fresh soft water. Cooled, the oil rendered from the fat will either congeal, or will at least float on top of the remaining water. Either way, the oil can be separated from the waste water, and then reheated to process it again.

I too have speeded up the process by putting a contained of water and oil into my freezer, to congeal the oil and force crud down into the water, which will also freeze. Then remove from the freezer, spoon, or scrape the grease off the ice, and repeat the heating/rendering process in a new container with water. Discard the frozen " water" portion, and clean the container for continued use.

Once you remove the solids from the first batch of rendered oil, I have found no need to continue to attempt to screen out "crud" with coffee filters and/or cheesecloth. Its gone, or its too small to be screen by anything I have on hand. I have to rely on precipitation and absorption processes to clean the oil further. Cleaning the water several times seems to be the only short way to refine the grease to oil.

Latest posts

Back