• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead pouring blues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Followed many threads. Read alot. Took a lighter to the mold prior to use. Used a wooden handle to hit the thingy.

Heated it up on the lead pot while the lead was melting.

Poured a few balls and this happed..... just my luck with a new ball mold.

Lee .490 RB

What did I do wrong?

Reckon I best order another one before my next shoot inna few weeks :(

Attachments

• 20231124_155708.jpg
    20231124_155708.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231124_155716.jpg
    20231124_155716.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 0
Did you let the poured balls cool off for a long'ish time before you struck the "thingy"? (made me laugh with that one...thanks!). You can strike over the sprue cutter not long after pouring....as in seconds...not minutes, so the lead won't be so hard possibly causing excessive force on the sprue hole area of that aluminum mold...it's not steel so not as tough.

Or, you got a defective mold that Lee should be made aware of.

Did you let the poured balls cool off for a long'ish time before you struck the "thingy"? (made me laugh with that one...thanks!). You can strike over the sprue cutter not long after pouring....as in seconds...not minutes, so the lead won't be so hard possibly causing excessive force on the sprue hole area of that aluminum mold...it's not steel so not as tough.

Or, you got a defective mold that Lee should be made aware of.
Within 5 seconds of pouring.

Followed many threads. Read alot. Took a lighter to the mold prior to use. Used a wooden handle to hit the thingy.

Heated it up on the lead pot while the lead was melting.

Lee .490 RB

What did I do wrong?

Reckon I best order another one before my next shoot inna few weeks :(
Was the lead soft? Looks like it deformed the sprue hole when you cut it. I cut my sprue as soon as the lead shows hardened. Was the rd ball in the mold a long time? Have to say, I’ve never seen a mold deform like that. I’d contact the dealer and ask them about it. I cast harder projectiles for a 357 mag 6 at a time in an aluminum mold and the sprue shears clean.

Was the lead soft? Looks like it deformed the sprue hole when you cut it. I cut my sprue as soon as the lead shows hardened. Was the rd ball in the mold a long time? Have to say, I’ve never seen a mold deform like that. I’d contact the dealer and ask them about it. I cast harder projectiles for a 357 mag 6 at a time in an aluminum mold and the sprue shears clean.
I can write my name with my fingernail in it.

Had one with hangers like tht on the mold. Took a pair of needle nose plyers, insert in hole, twist, rounds the hole up and removes the aluminum hangers on the lips.

Not trying to stir up anything regarding Lee quality, but I have a Lee .530 mold that absolutely does not throw a .530 ball. Dropped balls mic to .535 consistently. A Colerain barrel I have in .54 absolutely will not admit the larger ball, which is how I found out the size discrepancy. Do not assume a mold will throw the size stated.

So, perhaps some QC isn't making the grade. I have other Lee molds that work just fine and love how fast they heat up and the ease of handling with the light weight of the aluminum blocks. I betcha Lee will send you another one.

I can't think of anything that could happen while casting that would cause that. You're sure it wasn't like that when you got it? Regardless, I agree with the guys that say Lee will most likely replace it if you contact them. Good luck and don't be discouraged!

I can't think of anything that could happen while casting that would cause that. You're sure it wasn't like that when you got it? Regardless, I agree with the guys that say Lee will most likely replace it if you contact them. Good luck and don't be discouraged!
Dead certain. I didnt notice til after a couple pours later

One suggestion, don't use a mallet to open the sprue plate. Sometimes a tap on the handle hinge pin to drop the RB is needed. I wear a heavy glove on the right hand and open the sprue plate with my hand.

It saves any unnecessary impact to the molds. Aluminum is a good mold material but is soft.

Just my $.02.

Don

P.S. looks like the hole could be cleaned up ok.

You say you preheated the mold …
If you used a butane torch, you can damage the mold on that sharp edge if your not careful,,,,

Heat the mold block evenly, on the sides, and not that top edge

Not trying to stir up anything regarding Lee quality, but I have a Lee .530 mold that absolutely does not throw a .530 ball. Dropped balls mic to .535 consistently. A Colerain barrel I have in .54 absolutely will not admit the larger ball, which is how I found out the size discrepancy. Do not assume a mold will throw the size stated.

So, perhaps some QC isn't making the grade. I have other Lee molds that work just fine and love how fast they heat up and the ease of handling with the light weight of the aluminum blocks. I betcha Lee will send you another one.
Lee molds are often not durable but the sizing is spot on. Unless you can be sure you are using dead soft pure lead then my guess would be the lead you are using is not pure.

I have a Lee 54 caliber that shows the same defect. It's an old one and I replaced it years ago. I can't remember when I used it last so I can't comment on it. The .530 Lee that I've been using cast balls that are about .532 which is close enough. It could be that the OP's mold in Akroguy's post (#10) is miss labeled. I have a Lee labeled .440 that casts a .451 ball.
I've never seen the sense in beating the sprue plate with a stick or anything else to open it. I've always used a heavy glove to open it. I agree with the idea of calling Lee and either sending the mold back or emailing the photo to them. They should be able to diagnose the problem whether it's a defect in the mold or in the method of casting.

Latest posts

Back