• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

reclaiming lead from car and motorcycle batteries

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2175m4

32 Cal
Reaction score
I took apart an AGM motorcycle battery and had no trouble taking the plates out and neutralizing the acid, but the plates would not melt, it was so strange, the posts and the cell jumpers melted nicely into good clean lead, but the plates would not melt, they just turned into a mush of red, iron-oxide looking junk. any idea whats up with t what ? By the way whats nice about AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) is they dont have any liquid in them, just glass mats impregnated with a gell form of acid, so you can do whatever with them and they never spill. but the plates dont melt ....

odd....

I took apart an AGM motorcycle battery and had no trouble taking the plates out and neutralizing the acid, but the plates would not melt, it was so strange, the posts and the cell jumpers melted nicely into good clean lead, but the plates would not melt, they just turned into a mush of red, iron-oxide looking junk. any idea whats up with t what ? By the way whats nice about AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) is they dont have any liquid in them, just glass mats impregnated with a gell form of acid, so you can do whatever with them and they never spill. but the plates dont melt ....

odd....
So how much usable lead did you get out of your motorcycle battery?

odd....
I can't tell the composition of the lead in batteries, but I can assure you it's not pure lead. Throw whatever you cast away!

Every one says don't do it and I agree but I can't remember why or what deadly chemical is released. Can some one here give the reason for avoiding battery lead?
I'm not going to try and rack my 70 year old brain, but I read several years ago on the composition of the plates used in batteries. I suggest googling it. They do not make suitable bullets, and then there is the hazard risk. This is not a "hold my beer and watch this". Case closed!

Last edited:
You can find soft lead here. Justin.44 has it for sale on a pretty regular basis.
I have purchased lead from @Justin.44 a number of times and the BHN has been right at 5 every time I’ve checked.
I got about 5 minie balls out of it,

not much, was a waste of time I guess

live and learn
Just got $5 to recycle an old ATV/motorcycle battery. If $5 plus your time playing with hazardous stuff is worth 5 minie balls made out of what appears to ‘lead’ suitable for casting them, all the power in the world to you.

The plates didn't melt because the aren't pure lead, they have something added (can't recall what) to them to help with the recharge cycle.

Not worth the hassle.
Pick up roof vents.
They melt VERY easy.

Roof boot.jpg

I'm not going to try and rack my 70 year old brain, but I read several years ago on the composition of the plates used in batteries. I suggest googling it. They do not make suitable bullets, and then there is the hazard risk. This is not a "hold my beer and watch this". Case closed!
That's pretty much where I am. The trouble is when we say "oh you can't do this or it will kill you" it just becomes another scare tactic unless we have the facts to back it up. Is it cadmium that gets released or something else? There's something in the batteries that are not healthy for sure.

There is a lot on this topic on the cast boolits forum. I looked into it years ago, discovered it’s do able but not very safe. Ever since I stopped looking for lead I find it everywhere! I have bought multiple times from Justin, his lead is very clean and his price is very fair.

Personal safety aside, battery lead WILL corrode the living **** out of your barrel and casting equipment as well. I had a guy give me a dozen RBs he had hand cast from old batteries once. Never again.

Back