• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead pouring blues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of my 9 Lee molds 2 show some damage
20231127_211946.jpg

this has been my method for 60 years. first i find a mold, loading dies etc. then it follows that i must get a gun to match.

My list from another board, see Rule #11:

Gear’s rules:
#1 You will drop 87 out of 100 live primers on the floor as soon as you open the sleeve and only find half of them.......but not spill a drop while pouring a cup of coffee over the sink while still half-asleep.
#2 Improve our national marital statistics: Stay out of your wife's kitchen with gun stuff.
#3 Just because others couldn't do it doesn’t mean you will. Think about it.
#4 The mould will finally start dropping perfect bullets five minutes before you are called to supper.
#5 Don’t argue with stupid people. Have mutually enlightening discussions with intelligent people who happen to have a different point of view.
#6 Properly stored ammo and components don't spoil, eat, or increase your rent. So stock up before the panic-buyers do.
#7 It's actually true what they say that shooting straight wheel weights will ruin your barrel. They have to be made into bullets first.
#8 Hodgdon will discontinue the only powder that ever produced good groups from your favorite firearm.
#9 Always wear appropriate PPE......because Murphy was really an optimist.
#10 Beware the loose nut holding the handle on someone else’s reloading press.
#11 Picking up and hoarding all that free range brass in chamberings you don't own will eventually cost you a lot of money.
#12 Your best groups will be made on the day you have no witnesses, no camera, and it rains on your targets.
#13 Casting bullets and handloading will in fact never save you any money. However, you will shoot more for the same dollar and will spend less money on booze....unless you happen to own a Swedish Mauser.

Last edited:
bassncrap,

Lee's reply sounds reasonable to me. Your photos are excellent. I've been using Lee molds for many years and never had a similar problem with new molds. If you can't stand to use the mold as-is I suggest purchasing another mold perhaps from Lyman.

Another thought is to cast a bunch of balls with the offending Lee mold. Find a medium size clear glass jar and dump them in and gently shake until sprue marks disappear. I read about this technique from a post on this forum but haven't had a need to try. Hope this helps.

bassncrap,

Lee's reply sounds reasonable to me. Your photos are excellent. I've been using Lee molds for many years and never had a similar problem with new molds. If you can't stand to use the mold as-is I suggest purchasing another mold perhaps from Lyman.

Another thought is to cast a bunch of balls with the offending Lee mold. Find a medium size clear glass jar and dump them in and gently shake until sprue marks disappear. I read about this technique from a post on this forum but haven't had a need to try. Hope this helps.
Oh Im keeping the mold. Ill clean up the burrs and see how the balls come out and shoot them. I am considering the Lyman RB mold since I have a Lyman handle that needs a mold for it lol

Latest posts

Back