• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Bear claws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
So I was at Frindship this last weekend with my two older boys. My 14-year-old saw a man with a large bear claw necklace. Guess what’s coming next! He wants one!! I had two claws in my random claw and tooth compartment of my leather box. Do any of you have a few you would part with?

Some states are pretty uptight about buying, selling, or trading bear parts. I don't know about California, but I think Florida law now prohibits any commerce in bear products. I believe it's illegal to buy bear grease online and have it shipped here, for example. Some dealers know this and will not ship to Florida. As far as I know, it is illegal to buy or sell bear parts or products within the state, too.

With all of that said, claws can be found for sale, if it is legal for you to buy them. Moscow Hide and Fur has black and Canadian grizzly bear claws for sale. Large black bear front claws are priced around $125 each (not a typo), and single grizzly claws are priced from $300 to $500 each. I see they have a full set of twenty grizzly claws for $4500.

Chances are your boys will need to settle for imitation claws of some sort. If you can find a copy of Ben Hunt's Indian Crafts and Lore, he had a pattern and directions for carving and finishing claws out of wood. There is historical precedent for this... a Cheyenne necklace of wooden claws with Little Bighorn associations was recently up for auction: Yellow Horse's Carved Bear Claw Necklace

I think faux bear claws were more commonly made of horn or antler, though. This Crow necklace (from Cisco's Gallery) has claws carved from mountain sheep horn:

2023-06-13.png
I would recommend that you check out Volume 44, No. 2 of Whispering Wind magazine. The entire issue was devoted to bear claw necklaces, and included articles on making authentic faux claws from hooves and elk antler.

The easiest thing to do might be to get the ready-made plastic or resin claws. The black plastic ones are still available. They are cheap, and they look it. However, I had a set of them when I was a kid and thought they were pretty cool at the time, but I doubt a 14 year old would be happy with them. Painted resin claws make the best replicas, and some of them look real enough to get you in trouble. These are available from many of the Indian craft suppliers, but Teton Trade Cloth may be your best bet. Their top of the line is a set of forty graduated claws that are absolutely realistic, but the cost is $633 for the set. However, they also have a set of forty pretty nice plastic claws for $40... a dollar per claw. These will need to be painted to look their best, but Teton Trade Cloth has a blog post that explains in detail how to do this, and additional information pages to help with assembly of the necklace. Might be an interesting project for a motivated teenager.

Good luck with it!

Notchy Bob

Check e-bay just seen 25 resin black bear claws that looked pretty good 33.95 with shipping guess you would be in about 45 dollars. the fake grizz claws are going for a lot more. Another site is ESTY just seen some there for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Some states are pretty uptight about buying, selling, or trading bear parts. I don't know about California, but I think Florida law now prohibits any commerce in bear products. I believe it's illegal to buy bear grease online and have it shipped here, for example. Some dealers know this and will not ship to Florida. As far as I know, it is illegal to buy or sell bear parts or products within the state, too.

With all of that said, claws can be found for sale, if it is legal for you to buy them. Moscow Hide and Fur has black and Canadian grizzly bear claws for sale. Large black bear front claws are priced around $125 each (not a typo), and single grizzly claws are priced from $300 to $500 each. I see they have a full set of twenty grizzly claws for $4500.

Chances are your boys will need to settle for imitation claws of some sort. If you can find a copy of Ben Hunt's Indian Crafts and Lore, he had a pattern and directions for carving and finishing claws out of wood. There is historical precedent for this... a Cheyenne necklace of wooden claws with Little Bighorn associations was recently up for auction: Yellow Horse's Carved Bear Claw Necklace

I think faux bear claws were more commonly made of horn or antler, though. This Crow necklace (from Cisco's Gallery) has claws carved from mountain sheep horn:

View attachment 228199
I would recommend that you check out Volume 44, No. 2 of Whispering Wind magazine. The entire issue was devoted to bear claw necklaces, and included articles on making authentic faux claws from hooves and elk antler.

The easiest thing to do might be to get the ready-made plastic or resin claws. The black plastic ones are still available. They are cheap, and they look it. However, I had a set of them when I was a kid and thought they were pretty cool at the time, but I doubt a 14 year old would be happy with them. Painted resin claws make the best replicas, and some of them look real enough to get you in trouble. These are available from many of the Indian craft suppliers, but Teton Trade Cloth may be your best bet. Their top of the line is a set of forty graduated claws that are absolutely realistic, but the cost is $633 for the set. However, they also have a set of forty pretty nice plastic claws for $40... a dollar per claw. These will need to be painted to look their best, but Teton Trade Cloth has a blog post that explains in detail how to do this, and additional information pages to help with assembly of the necklace. Might be an interesting project for a motivated teenager.

Good luck with it!

Notchy Bob
I used to buy claws from Moscow when Lars Eidnes was with us. The $125 black bear claws are XXXL claws, about 1/4" longer than claws that cost 29.95. Prices go down from there but really nice fronts can be had from a number of places for $20-$30 each.

Not sure what the scare is all about in many states you can still buy and sell claws: just check your state laws and don't run afoul of them.

Back